• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

For me, I have a small wooden skewer with which I have marked some ratios off with. Even with this device my calculations are sometimes off. I guess I get the best results when I add less water, taste then add more if I so desire. Funny because depending upon my concentration, I tend to get different results more than similar.

All in all, not a bad thing, but I wish there were a way for me to get a more consistent glass each time I louche up. Know what I mean?
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#2 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

If it's an absinthe I know, I don't even think about it. Turn on the water and relax. If it's a new absinthe, I always try to under-water secure in the knowledge I can always add more water.

It's such a matter of personal taste and mood to me. Some days, I want a spicy, stronger glass and other days, a more mellow refreshing glass. Tonight, I want a couple more homebrews. :cheers:

#3 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

Oh, we're talking about absinthe? :devil:

Back to the matter at hand, I agree with Joe. Water conservatively. You can always add more. You can't take it away.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#4 Algernon

Algernon

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

For lower abv absinthes (50% +/-) I start at 2:1, then sip and add until I'm happy. For anything over 60%, I start at 3:1. I have found that bluefinger guy's chart to be a quite handy reference. I have a laminated copy of it I keep on the bar.

#5 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,750 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

If it's an absinthe I know, I don't even think about it. Turn on the water and relax. If it's a new absinthe, I always try to under-water secure in the knowledge I can always add more water.

That sums it up for me.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#6 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

I'll agree with the Clown.

It can happen. ;)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#7 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,750 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Sure, but it must be at least a little comforting that you're agreeing with me agreeing with Joe. :laugh:

#8 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

I can tell by the smell, usually, but I like mine a bit stronger anyway so in practice it amounts to watering conservatively.
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#9 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

I know it's right around the top of the facets on my Pontarlier glasses (usually slightly above) and I can smell when it's done.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#10 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

I judge first by looks, then switch to smell once it's fully louched, then I do the fine tuning by tasting.
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#11 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:26 AM

What the third quote in the clown's siggy says. For some reason I freaked out about ratios with my fountain, but with droppers I don't. With the La rochere reservoir glasses the facts help, but it does depend on the absinthe. The TAB method, of tasting after the neat line disappears, works well too.

#12 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

The TAB method, of tasting after the neat line disappears, works well too.

See, I've just never thought that method works well, especially for newer consumers. The 'green meniscus' typically disappears while the absinthe is quite strong. Based on my own experiences, I'm seeing a ton of newcomers severely under watering their absinthe. This method certainly can contribute to that.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#13 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:22 AM

I agree that stopping after the neat line disappears makes it quite strong... for me. But I do know people who like it that way.

I go by the glass I'm using. I have two favorite glasses, and I like a roughly 4:1 ratio. They aren't specifically absinthe glasses, but do have features that I can mark measurements by. I know on both glasses where to pour the absinthe to for approx. 1 oz, then to the right amount of water. For certain absinthes, or for certain moods, I'll pour in more absinthe but water to the same mark. Works well.
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#14 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:39 AM

4-to-1 is usually my choice, too with a slight tweaking in either direction for my mood or the absinthe I'm pouring.

The TAB method, of tasting after the neat line disappears, works well too.

See, I've just never thought that method works well, especially for newer consumers.

Absolutely right, Brian. It has never worked for me, either. All it has really been good for is to let me know it is still under-watered but getting close: Time to pay attention.

Using the 'green meniscus' as a gauge will mean you're serving your absinthe too strong and working your taste buds over. I think it's a great way to miss much of the herbal flavor an absinthe is offering. That's just my 2 cents.

#15 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:27 AM

I'm with Ambear and Crow on the glass thing, having a couple of familiar glasses makes it pretty easy for me to get a 4:1, and that usually works fine. And then the "you can always add more water" thing is always there, but even so, I sometimes over-water. And most of the time, while maybe sub-optimal, an over-watered absinthe is still a pretty nice drink.

#16 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:43 AM

an over-watered absinthe is still a pretty nice drink.

I suppose it is. I think bauble likes his absinthe at least 8:1 and then adds water as desired. He's a right smart fellow and a pretty fair hand with fountains.

His drinks last longer than mine. ;)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#17 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

Thanks.

All good methods to be sure.
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#18 distill my beating heart

distill my beating heart

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

I keep it really simple. I fill the reservior of my glass (1 to 1.5 oz of absinthe) then use a one-cup measuring cup to slowly pour 4 to 4.5 oz of (sometimes sugared) cold water from the cup - which seems to be the range in which I like most absinthes. The lower proof absinthes (up to 65 percent) turn out nicely 'floral', and distinctive, while the higher proof absinthes maintain their distinctive flavor profile while packing a pleasant punch - giving me a range of gustatory experience. Before I pour the absinthe, I decide which kind of experience I want: more 'floral' or more assertive.

I've become too impatient, perhaps lazy, to slowly drip the water anymore - what I did religiously for the first year or so of drinking absinthe, and find that the end result is pretty much the same to my, perhaps unsophisticated - but appreciative - palate. Luckily the absinthes these days are so good (and forgiving) that I'm never disappointed by the results. Sante! :cheers:
If we make it, we can sit back and relax...

#19 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

Given all the above, do you take temperature of the drink into consideration regarding the whole experience?

<---------- He does. ;)

#20 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

I held an absinthe tasting for a group of wine folks recently and over-watered the final offering, L'Italienne. I was so mad at myself as it really killed the flavor profile, and this was after I had talked it up as my personal favorite. They were all very gracious and didn't say anything. Perhaps they didn't notice, but I did and it was an important lesson for me.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#21 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,750 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

Given all the above, do you take temperature of the drink into consideration regarding the whole experience?

<---------- He does. ;)

Looks like we agree again, Bill.

Dangerous precedent being set here. :laugh:

#22 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

I held an absinthe tasting for a group of wine folks recently and over-watered the final offering, L'Italienne. I was so mad at myself as it really killed the flavor profile, and this was after I had talked it up as my personal favorite. They were all very gracious and didn't say anything. Perhaps they didn't notice, but I did and it was an important lesson for me.

I know that urge to hastily grab their glasses and shout, "NO! Don't drink that! I ruined them! I'll do it again, but right next time!" as they look at you with that judging look sprinkled with confusion.

Oh, that's just me?
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#23 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

The 'green meniscus' typically disappears while the absinthe is quite strong.

It depends strongly on the watering method too...if water is being added in a splashy way, it may disappear much faster, and some absinthes don't seem to get that "line" at all.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#24 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

I know that urge to hastily grab their glasses and shout, "NO! Don't drink that! I ruined them! I'll do it again, but right next time!"

The only reason I didn't do that was it was their first time tasting absinthe so there's not much chance they would have noticed a dramatic difference. I'm not saying they wouldn't have noticed a difference, but not like I did, and since Stefano isn't making any more L'Italienne, I didn't have the heart to sink it.

#25 distill my beating heart

distill my beating heart

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

<---------- He does. ;)

I'm in no hurry, so the temperature of the drink goes up as it sits in the glass, providing an even greater spectrum of flavor over the time it takes to quaff the elixir.

I suppose I just like the flavor of absinthe as it sits and changes in my glass without the magical, if not snobbish, overlay of ritual that many seem to impart to the experience. It is, after all, only quality booze, not a religious apotheosis. But then maybe I'm in a minority here - which bothers me not. 'Different strokes' as they say.
If we make it, we can sit back and relax...

#26 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

since Stefano isn't making any more L'Italienne, I didn't have the heart to sink it.

Not making it any more? I just bought my first bottle a couple of months ago and love it. Will it really not be available any more?
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#27 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

<---------- He does. ;)

I like my absinthe very cold, so always add a few cubes of ice. It doesn't have much effect on the mix, as I drink about half of it pretty quickly. The rest is a bit thinner but not much. Sometimes I forget and let the last bit melt, but it's still tasty to me. Then I go make another. :)

#28 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

Not making it any more? I just bought my first bottle a couple of months ago and love it. Will it really not be available any more?

I understand that there is still decent availability of L'Italienne, but it's out of production and once it's gone, it's gone for good.

#29 greenbird

greenbird

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

Adding too much water sounds like a good excuse to add more absinthe.

Edited by greenbird, 25 February 2012 - 10:31 AM.

Some tastes grow from desire, some from disrepute and some still from boredom, ad infinitum.

#30 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

I understand that there is still decent availability of L'Italienne, but it's out of production and once it's gone, it's gone for good.

Thanks, Doc (sorry for being presumptuous but I see they call you Doc)... I'll order another bottle tout de suite!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association