Sign in to follow this  
Larspeart

Sloooooow cooking'

Beans, roast beef and chili are just a few of my favorite things.

<--------- He's a fairly good sized fan.

We don't use it enough around here. Tastes yummy and tender as my heart!!

In addition to the above, slow cooker spaghetti sauce and large cuts of beef cooked with onions, peppers, beer, etc. then shredded and served over thick bread are two of my favorite crock pot recipes.

My real problem is cleaning them after the last use. I still have clam chowder sitting in the fridge from Super Bowl Sunday. :thumbdown:

Precious uses those slow cooker cooking bags or liners or something like that. She cooks what she wants and when it's time, she pulls out the plastic(?) and tosses it away. Rarely is the cleanup more than just wiping out the vessel. Too dang easy.

My special lady and I don't use ours enough we just got a new one. We had green chili stew last weekend which I thought kicked ass.

I have done a variation of Seeker's lamb shank a few times Link

Anise the flavor I desire in this, so use and arak, and a couple of tablespoons of honey help out.

Something that is tasty and needs little prep time is get some smoked turkey legs, some broth, dash of Worchestershire salt and pepper, crushed garlic, to taste.

Precious uses those slow cooker cooking bags or liners or something like that. She cooks what she wants and when it's time, she pulls out the plastic(?) and tosses it away. Rarely is the cleanup more than just wiping out the vessel. Too dang easy.

Sounds too easy. Guess I'll have to look for them. :cheers:

We have been using our cooker for prime rib, three times in the last couple of months. None of that pink juiciness like when done in the oven, but the tenderness and flavor can't be beat. Also, lots of gravy for poutine. :cheers:

Ah, poutine...

Probably one of the highlights of my visit to Expo '67.

Well, that, and the beef strogonoff served at the U.S.S.R. pavilion. :dribble:

We have been using our cooker for prime rib, three times in the last couple of months. None of that pink juiciness like when done in the oven, but the tenderness and flavor can't be beat. Also, lots of gravy for poutine. :cheers:

Mmm, Poutine...

That, and Rush- Canada's 2 best exports.

:thumbup:

Mmm, Poutine...

That, and Rush- Canada's 2 best exports.

:thumbup:

What about Molson XXX and the "Canadian ballet" ?

;)

I like the slow cooker for meats and soups. I make a thick chilli that tends to burn in a slow cooker.

I did a bison round roast the other week:

onions, carrots, celery rough chopped

a cup of red wine (a cheap pinot)

water to cover

5 fresh thyme sprigs

1 fresh rosemary sprig

2 bay leafs

3 elder berries

1 tsp salt

does anybody have experience with "Sous Vide" cooking ? I am trying to learn how to make sous vide food, but it seems that equipment is too expensive....

- Marcelo

Something I've been meaning to try in my slow cooker is something referred to as "Seven Hour Eggs" or "Long Cooked Eggs". Essentially putting eggs into your slow cooker and letting them go all day long. Supposedly the whites turn to a brownish color and acquire a nutty flavor.

Here is an article with some more details: http://www.fourpoundsflour.com/the-history...even-hour-eggs/

-Robert