• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 odiedog52

odiedog52

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Below is an email I just got. I don't see any absinthe though ..

The Netherlands national Bay van der Bunt has claimed the title of owning the “world’s largest collection of old liquors”. Sadly, however, he’s willing to relinquish the title for the price $8 million (US). The historic collection holds over 5,000 bottled liquors to include 250 years old cognac, whisky, armagnac, port, madeira and rare liqueurs.

The 63-year-old Dutch speaking collector, who oddly doesn’t drink not the precious elixirs himself, has over the years dedicated his life to finding the rarest and finest spirits on earth. Many of the cognacs, dating back to 1789, the year of the French revolution and the inauguration of George Washington as the 1st President of the United States.

According to Bay, he and his wife do not have any children or potential heirs who would be able to take care of their prized collection.

“So sadly, I have to let it go,” he said with a sense of remorse.

“Over the last 35 years, I frequented worldwide auctions like Christie’s and Sotheby’s. I bought from famous restaurants like Maxim’s and La Tour d’Argent in Paris and Le Cirque in New York when they thinned-out their cellars. Some cognacs even belonged to the estate of the Duke of Windsor,” he added.

Noting that it would take another two to three generations to gather a collection like this and assuming you would still be able to find such rare liquors, Bay said he inherited some of the liquor cache from father, who had inherited from his father (Bay’s grandfather).

“My grandfather had hundreds of bottles which my father passed on to me, so collecting is something I have grown up with,” said Bay, who for over 10 years has shared his passion with the world through his website www.oldliquors.com.

Admitting he never intend to sell his liquor collection, Bay sadly said: “But now age is forcing me to do so.”

However, he’s hoping for a collector who shares his passion to take over the entire collection, which contains many bottles of the last remaining in the world, which makes them very unique objects to have.

Otherwise, the rare spirits may find their way to connoisseurs, exclusive restaurants and hotels or even royalty through selected channels.

“Collecting cognacs and old liquors was very time consuming and cost a fortune, but it proves to be the best financial investment I have ever made,” admitted Bay.

For further information or press enquiries, please contact Bart Laming, Old Liquors, Breda, The Netherlands; Phone: 31.76.529.7737, Mobile: +31.653.861.912, laming@oldliquors.com or visit www.oldliquors.com.
www.MutineerMagazine.com

#2 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

Calling Brian Robinson... ;)
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#3 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,552 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

...who now has the worlds largest collection of vintage liquors. :yahoo:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#4 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

Calling Brian Robinson... ;)

Who already knows... :pirate:

I kinda hope that this goes out to more than just a single buyer. If Bay can set a few more people down this track it would probably liven things up and add some good ol' competition to the vintage spirits hobby.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#5 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

It has Oxygenee written all over it.

#6 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

Having seen what he's got, I don't see Oxy every coming even close to offering $8 mil. It's an amazing collection, but unless he's leaving some of the most expensive stuff out of his published inventory, then that's a well-marked-up retail price, not a buy-in-bulk-wholesale price.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#7 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

By the way, Odie, clean out our PM inbox. Can't send you messages.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#8 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

I didn't mean to imply that Oxy would buy the whole thing, and I have no idea what he would be willing to pay, only that this is not the sort of thing that escapes his notice.

#9 odiedog52

odiedog52

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

By the way, Odie, clean out our PM inbox. Can't send you messages.

Made some room! Also, got your email. Thanks!

:pirate:
www.MutineerMagazine.com

#10 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,552 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

By the way, Odie, clean out our PM inbox.

You guys share a PM box?

Guess it's kinda like getting a room. :tongue:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#11 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

only that this is not the sort of thing that escapes his notice.

That much I'm absolutely sure of. He probably knew before it even went public. Like Spidey-senses.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#12 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

This is why I'll never be rich. If I had a multi-million dollar collection of vintage liquors I'd just invite some friends over. :drunk:
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association