Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Towards an IGP for "Absinthe de Pontarlier" ?

But what he sells in france and the the usa will need to be different. And the French will try to get him to change the label on CLB if it has thujone levels of less than 20ppm.

No, 20mg/kg is for "absinthe de Pontarlier". To be labeled "absinthe" in France it is just supposed to have > 7mg/kg. If not, it can just continue to be labeled "spiriteux" or whatever, as in the past.

Edited by Steve Williams

Still, it looks like someone took a shot at those distillers in Europe that do a good bit of business in the USA. Jade/Lucid, CLB, and EP among them. I mean 7ppm to 10ppm is not a big target. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a definition for absinthe, but after all that has happened in the re-legalization of absinthe, to still be talking about thujone is moronic, unless someone wants to manipulate things in order to hobble their competitors.

I would be happy with absinthe = A maceration containing at least Aa, Green anise, and sweet fenel, that gets distilled. from there you can add anything and nothing, and it still gets called absinthe.

Doesn't affect CAB because he is not in France.

Still, it looks like someone took a shot at those distillers in Europe that do a good bit of business in the USA. Jade/Lucid, CLB, and EP among them.

What Steve said. It looks like EP is the only one of these three that would be affected. Samur is a good long way from Pontarlier and surrounding towns.

Apparently, for this IG 'Absinthe de Pontarlier' designation, absinthes must also contain a MINIMUM of 20mg/kg of thujone.

Guy US absinthe COLA 2008

I'm currently working with a Pontarlier distillery on a new soft drink beverage product offering for the US market, called Thujone COLA, with genetically engineered wormwood.