• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Titus

Titus

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

I've made it a point to order Absinthe everywhere I go, to try different brands and see what different people serve. I can't even tell you how many different labels i've tried now (although I think Pacifique is still my favorite).

In San Fransisco last weekend, one bar served it on ice in a rocks glass. That was odd, but a tasty treat nonetheless.
A speak easy in SF which required a password to get in (very fun) served it very well with a beautiful absinthe glass, spoon (for no reason, the provided no sugar), and a small carafe of not-cold-enough-water. They even made it a point to ask me "if I know how to drink absinthe"! well even though the atmosphere was amazing, the absinthe was great, the hardware excellent, the water was basically warm and there was only about half as much as I'd prefer.

in Tacoma at the Swiss, they now offer absinthe. I saw them serve it in basically a large shot glass, and they even added the theatrics of lighting the sugar on fire (i haven't seen that since mexico!).

My favorite served glass of absinthe is Tini Biggs in Seattle, and my favorite all around experience in the Pink Room, also in Seattle. They always have a good Absinthe to offer and I love the perfectly iced water, carafe, etc.

I think the experience is half the fun for me. I do love this stuff though. Please dont consider the above to be criticisms. I just like to take note of how my favorite drink is served in different places :) its not simply like pouring a shot of Jack Daniels over ice if you ask me ;)

#2 Titus

Titus

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

one I know I haven't tried yet is Marteau, which is made local to Seattle, right? I'd like to if anyone can point me to it. :)

#3 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

Yes, Marteau is based in Seattle.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#4 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

The distiller shows up here on occasion. Mostly to restore order. :)

#5 Titus

Titus

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

I thought I remembered that to be the case. just wasn't sure. Anyone in WA carrying Marteau yet?

#6 TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

Going to be making a trip to Seattle in May, now we know what I'll be asking for everywhere, do most bars carry it?

I'm afraid to ask for it here, more afraid if they actually bring me a glass of something - no where sells it.
Glory and praise to thee in all the steeps
Of Heaven where thou didst reign, and in the deeps
Of Hell where fallen thy dream, silently.

#7 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:19 AM

I thought I remembered that to be the case. just wasn't sure. Anyone in WA carrying Marteau yet?

Here is the latest news.

#8 Titus

Titus

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:55 AM

In Seattle, so far Tini Biggs, the Pink Door (burlesque shows, fun) and Tavern Law are my three favorite places to score some absinthe right now.

Last night I had some at a small pub about 40 miles south of Seattle and was disappointed by the delivery...

When you guys ask a bartender or waiter(waitress) for an Absinthe, and they look at you kinda dumbfounded like they're not sure how to serve it, what do you say? I think half of them actually think I want a shot.

I did have a great little concoction last night that essentially consisted of muddled lemon, mint leaves, and absente. it was pretty darn good.

Edited by Titus, 02 February 2012 - 09:16 AM.

#9 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:06 AM

Just ask for a 1oz of absinthe in a glass, a pitcher of iced water, and show them how it's done. You enjoy it, and they learn how to do it.

#10 Titus

Titus

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:46 AM

aw perfecto, why I didn't think of that myself I have no idea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association