Sign in to follow this  
kaseijin

White Corn Whiskey

My mother in law sometimes made it with cheese and jalapeños. Good for eating with diner, or supper.

But for breakfast her cush-cush was amazing.

Edited by Miguel

Break it up into a tall glass and then fill the glass with cold cold milk. Now thats good eatin

My grandfather used to do that with buttermilk. I always thought it was the height of disgusting.

Break it up into a tall glass and then fill the glass with cold cold milk. Now thats good eatin

My grandfather used to do that with buttermilk. I always thought it was the height of disgusting.

Corn bread as a breakfast cereal (known as cush-cush, an American continent adaptation of the African couscous) is very popular in Sw Louisiana, and in coastal Brazil. Old cajuns and modern Brazilians will eat it with hot milk, and pork meat. I just like it with cold milk and Steen's cane syrup. My wife makes cush-cush is lightly wetted corn flour stir-fried on a cast iron skillet, and not really corn bread, but a lot of folks do use corn bread in the same way. Maybe the absinthe Pope knows about this.

Illegality, I would imagine. :harhar:

^ that. Flouting federal law is not really something I recommend doing, nor am keen to do -- let alone discuss on public fora.

That said - suggestions for good brands of white dog? Bear in mind that I can't get the DP down here.

A few I have played with are in the White Dog line from the folks at Buffalo Trace- They have an ever changing and growing line of 'white dogs', with varying formulas of corn, barley, rye, etc. Most have a heavy corn nose and taste, which I enjoy, but requiring some taming, to be sure. A few more fun (but challanging) ones are the full/near-full corn blends.

A more broadly commercially available one is Death's Door White Whiskey, by the Dorr Counry guys. Proofed to a common 80%, and with an approachable mix, it might be a good one to practice with. They also just reduced their price by about 20%.

I know I am not alone in thinking that white corn whiskey is vile, vile stuff. I decided to challenge myself to make a cocktail that tamed it into something not just palatable, but good.

So far, I came up with this guy

White corn whiskey, grand marnier, jalapeno/black pepper simple syrup, lime juice, kaffir lime and angostura bitters, egg white.

It's not bad. Any other ideas?

431094_2978920987141_1085371118_33050381_1822754785_n.jpg

Your post reminded me of this. I wanted to make it when I saw it, then forgot.

20110810-165388-seasonalcocktails-corn.jpg

I'm lovin' the artisanal distillery Renaissance.

There are three due to open in our little county quite soon.

Unfortunately, none is planning to feature absinthe, along with their whiskey, gin, and/orvodka.

Perhaps I should make a point of gently heckling encouraging them. :)

Edited by Absomphe

Hey another chance to pimp Dark Corner Distillery!

I'm still loving their shine. They also just released the first batch of Apple and Peach corn whiskey last weekend.

This is really good, clean stuff.

:cheers:

some of the best Peach Shine comes from around here. Smooth as silk. You dont even know you've drunk it, til it hits your belly.

Fixed onacuz I like 'drunk' even better than 'drank'. :laugh: :cheers:

Unfortunately, none is planning to feature absinthe, along with their whiskey, gin, and/orvodka.

I am all for the distillery "renaissance" he in WA. The sad thing I've encountered is that most "craft" spirits distilled around here taste like crap.

I guess because crap and craft sound very similar.

I haven't done too much experimenting, at the price most craft distilled products go for I would be pretty upset to buy a bad one.

I am all for the distillery "renaissance" he in WA. The sad thing I've encountered is that most "craft" spirits distilled around here taste like crap.

Thanks for warning. I'm hoping the Bellingham efforts will begin to turn that around a bit.

Up to this point, the only Washington distilled spirits I've tasted (other than Dry Fly Gin :thumbdown: ) have been yours, so, doubtless, I must have a skewed notion of their potential overall quality.

Edited by Absomphe

Well, our Water Tower White Lightning TM (an unaged corn whiskey) has been out for a couple months now. Not in distribution yet, but if you are in Chicagoland, stop by Quincy Street Distillery and have a taste and tour. We double distill, and cut conservatively for hearts on both distillations, to avoid the "corn-cob" tail waggin' the white dog ;-)

And now that our Prairie Sunshine TM (honey spirit) formulation is approved, we can start making our absinthe that will be based on the honey spirit. We'll let you all know when it is available, hopefully before the end of winter.

Meanwhile, I am playing around with cocktails that would incorporate both our absinthe and our white lightning: something along the lines of a Sazarac.

Edited by Blue Star