Sign in to follow this  
kaseijin

White Corn Whiskey

I know I am not alone in thinking that white corn whiskey is vile, vile stuff. I decided to challenge myself to make a cocktail that tamed it into something not just palatable, but good.

So far, I came up with this guy

White corn whiskey, grand marnier, jalapeno/black pepper simple syrup, lime juice, kaffir lime and angostura bitters, egg white.

It's not bad. Any other ideas?

431094_2978920987141_1085371118_33050381_1822754785_n.jpg

I have to disagree, a good corn whiskey straight up or on ice is a good drink if it comes from the hearts. Unfortunately most of what you get has smearing with the heads and tails which leaves a poor taste in your mouth. I guess it is like any good drink if the distiller takes pride in his/her work then your probably going to get a good drink!

I will concur that almost every commercial corn whiskey I have had, tastes like tails to me.

Enough so that I have just begun to accept that as characteristic of the spirit.

Also, I haven't tried the above drink with any other bitters yet, but I may. I did try it with a single slice of muddled jalapeno that got strained out in the pour -- that added a nice dimension. Tonight, I may try a white dog alexander.

Edited by kaseijin

I've had a couple brands of white dog that I thought were tailsy, but many more that I've really enjoyed. Not only unaged corn whiskey, but rye and wheat as well. Nice and clean with that characteristic fruitiness and notes of freshly-baked bread. It mixes well, in my experience.

Back when DP's Rye Dog came out, I posted a few cocktail recipes calling for white dog, including one of my own. YMMV.

Illegality, I would imagine. :harhar:

^ that. Flouting federal law is not really something I recommend doing, nor am keen to do -- let alone discuss on public fora.

That said - suggestions for good brands of white dog? Bear in mind that I can't get the DP down here.

Edited by kaseijin

Time to fire up "Moonshiners" on the DVR and watch me some Popcorn Sutton (RIP)! :cheers:

I had just finished episode 3, just about hooked when they all got pulled from youtube. Funny stuff.

I love me some Tickle. That guy is drunk as a lord all the time, but he's darned responsible for a drunk. I'll give him that.

He made the show for me. Popcorn had it down but Tickle was all about get 'r done.

I've worked with several guys that were like Tickle. Some are still roaming around free!

He cracked me up plenty as well. During the first episode I thought the narrator called him "Pickle", and I thought that sure was a funny soundin' name.

The first episode had me laughing quite a bit, with the one guy riding around in his pickup truck with a shotgun on the dashboard, and then pulls out a handgun from his pocket. I wish there had been a second camera present to record the look on the camera man's face during that scene.

I have a friend that reminds me a LOT of Tickle. His drink of choice is beer, and aside from at work, I have rarely seen him without one.

I'll have to give the Buffalo Trace a try. I know one of the stores near me sells it.

I'll have to give the Buffalo Trace a try. I know one of the stores near me sells it.

I like that one and I also recommend the High West Silver Western Oat.

I dig buffalo trace bourbon; it's amazing for the money. I have no doubt they can remove the tails, but you can always watch popcorn on the boob-tube for instructional videos, and you can also see the best ways to avoid the law.

Reminds me I made the most excellent corn bread the other night:

1 cup corn meal

1/2 cup of rye flour

3/4 cup of white flour

2 Tbs butter melted

1 egg

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 Tbs sugar

1 tsp salt

milk to consistency

add to a well oiled iron skillet preheated to 450 F

bake for about 15 minutes

Edited by greenbird

In the past, corn was sweeter, so maybe the addition is trying to compensate?

Cornbread, hot milk, and Steen's cane syrup are good, with the corn bread substituting for cush-cush because the Army doesn't know about cush-cush. Of course that swetening is after baking.

Yes to the melted butter. Sweet? It should be naturally sweet, and a little bitter -- no cloying sugar in there.

And ideally, it should be cooked in a cast iron skillet lined with bacon drippings.

And, though I like to cook...I have to say that Morrison's Corn-Kits from Denton, Tx, are just about the perfect cornbread mix. If you have not had it, order some...