Bloody Fairy anyone?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

Just came across it by chance, curious if anyone has ever tried it (a bloody mary made with absinthe instead of vodka).
Glory and praise to thee in all the steeps
Of Heaven where thou didst reign, and in the deeps
Of Hell where fallen thy dream, silently.

#2 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:10 AM

If they have, it's likely they didn't live to tell the tale.

Off the cuff, it sounds like a "recipe" that was concocted simply as an excuse for the cute name, but I haven't tried it so I can't say from experience. It sounds terrible to me, but if you give it a try, let us know what you thought of it! :cheers:

#3 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:05 AM

I wouldn't try it, but maybe it's delicious. Perhaps it could be garnished with absinthe bacon...sounds like Ron project to me.
Since many people prefer DITA's made with sweeter and fruit forward sparkling wines, perhaps a red colored fruit juice would work better than tomato juice. Hibiscus tea might even be interesting, especially with a rouge like Serpis.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#4 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:33 AM

Can you provide a link to the recipe, TS? Absinthe and tomato juice doesn't sound like a winning combination, but I've tasted crazier pairings that have worked, so who knows.

And there isn't necessarily anything "dangerous" about the idea of an absinthe-based Bloody Mary. Most BM recipes (including my own--everybody's got one) mix roughly 1 part vodka to 2-3 parts tomato juice (plus lemon juice, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and whatever else you throw in--not to mention the ice), so the absinthe would be about as diluted as it would be in a traditional preparation. It would be like a frappe, a suissesse, etc. Also, I'm thinking that you'd use a blanche rather than a verte (as you would in most cocktails calling for absinthe as the base ingredient), which would further reduce the alcohol content of the drink.

Sounds do-able to me. Tasty? That's the question.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#5 TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:46 AM

I came across the name under the wiki article for bloody Mary where it says abinthe replaces the vodka; did a search for recipes and they all call for cranberry juice and tonic water instead of tomato juice, which makes much more sense taste wise.

Still very curious on how it would taste in a bloody Mary recipe, a part of me thinks it might actually work with the right ingredients.

#6 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:50 AM

Hmmm, Saturday morning and nothing much I NEED to do........sounds like a Bloody Fairy morning. *smiley wink*

I tried it with a blanche. two sips and then the sink. I like a good Bloody Mary. This wasn't one!

Edited by Bill, 28 January 2012 - 07:23 AM.

Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#7 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,718 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:59 AM

"Bloody Fairy".

A man after my own heart, I see. :devil: :laugh:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#8 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

What's this vodka you speak of? I use gin in my Bloody Marys, but I have been known to give the glass a St. George rinse.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#9 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

I tried it with a blanche. two sips and then the sink. I like a good Bloody Mary. This wasn't one!

There you go. I sort of suspected as much. Just out of curiosity, Bill, how much blanche did you use vs. tomato juice?

I came across the name under the wiki article for bloody Mary where it says abinthe replaces the vodka; did a search for recipes and they all call for cranberry juice and tonic water instead of tomato juice, which makes much more sense taste wise.

No doubt, but that's not an "absinthe Bloody Mary."

What's this vodka you speak of? I use gin in my Bloody Marys, but I have been known to give the glass a St. George rinse.

Technically, that's a Red Snapper--not a Bloody Mary. It's good, I grant you, but this is one drink where I actually prefer vodka as the base--preferably one of the more flavorful ones mentioned in a recent thread. Absolut Peppar is pretty good too. Haven't tried Bakon in one yet.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#10 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,730 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

I used to like gin and cranberry juice. I never tried absinthe and cranberry juice, but that might be worth an experiment or three.

Chemistry is usually fun.

#11 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

Here's a thought: what about swapping the tomato juice out for tomato water? Prepare it frappe style with your absinthe, a little lemon (or lime) juice, some muddled cucumber, maybe a bit of basil... I'd hit that.

By the way, if you're looking for other good subs for vodka in the Bloody Mary, try out aquavit and mezcal. Both make tasty drinks.

#12 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,730 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

Hmm. I've got some sotol which has kind of a smoky/fire roasted plant flavor to it-that might play nicely with the tomato.

Hmmm, Saturday morning..

It's Saturday!

Edited by baubel, 28 January 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#13 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

I used about 3/4 ounce of blanche to 2 ounces tomato juice plus the other stuff for a bloody mary. Full glass of ice and stirred for awhile to melt the ice. Still, it wasn't a good experience. Smelled extremely herbal or more like a livestock barn. Taste was just way herbal and too much absinthe.....about 3/4 ounce too much.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#14 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

I wouldn't dream of using that much absinthe in a cocktail experiment, the flavors are so strong a little goes a long way. Think Sazerac!

#15 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

You'd be surprised. I've had a number of good cocktails in which absinthe serves as the base spirit as opposed to an accent. One of my favorites is the French Buck, which subs absinthe in for the gin, brandy, or whiskey you usually find in a buck: 1.5 oz. Kübler, .5 oz. lemon juice, .5 oz. creme de cassis; shake and strain over ice in a Collins glass; top with ginger beer. Delicious. The Reverse Sazerac Sour, which uses absinthe as the base and whiskey as an accent, is also very good. Absinthe is more versatile in cocktails than you might think.

#16 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

An absinthe rinse would have been a bit much I think. Again, just my humble Saturday opinion.

#17 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

In this case, I don't doubt you.

#18 TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

When you use the term livestock barn or anything of the like I'm always curious to experiance it myself for whatever reason... However I don't want to waste this wonderful northern MT blanche on it ...

#19 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

I used a lesser quality absinthe.

#20 Abs

Abs

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

sounds like it'd go good with a peanutbutter and tuna sandwich.

#21 Ian Hutton

Ian Hutton

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

You'd be surprised. I've had a number of good cocktails in which absinthe serves as the base spirit as opposed to an accent. One of my favorites is the French Buck, which subs absinthe in for the gin, brandy, or whiskey you usually find in a buck: 1.5 oz. Kübler, .5 oz. lemon juice, .5 oz. creme de cassis; shake and strain over ice in a Collins glass; top with ginger beer. Delicious. The Reverse Sazerac Sour, which uses absinthe as the base and whiskey as an accent, is also very good. Absinthe is more versatile in cocktails than you might think.

Agreed. A good blanche can work really well in many cocktails calling for a white spirit, especially those incorporating mint. Brut d'alembic is my favourite in a Bloody Fairy (but keep in mind the high abv when you mix it).

#22 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:29 AM

This summer, I've become very partial to the Absinthe Smash:

1.5 oz. absinthe
.5 oz. water
.75 oz. simple syrup
2-3 lemon wedges
fistful of mint

Muddle mint and lemon wedges in a mixing glass and add absinthe, water, simple syrup, and ice. Shake the bejeesus out of it and strain into a rocks glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with more mint.

So lovely on a hot day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association