• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:56 AM

I've heard meditation works wonders, even just a 1-2 minutes at a time can be beneficial.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#32 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

Apparently I've developed a severe allergic reaction to Grande Wormwood. I've always had a bit of a contact allergy where my skin gets a little red and itchy if I handle AA, but this year it's been much worse. My eyes burn and itch, blisters formed on my skin, and the icing on the cake would be me starting to lose my voice at an absinthe party the other weekend. I still haven't determined if the throat thing was caused by airborne particles from being near raw Grande Wormwood or if it was from drinking multiple glasses of absinthe. I sure hope I haven't become allergic to drinking absinthe.

Edited by Phoenix, 25 March 2012 - 05:21 PM.

"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#33 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

Yikes! Please be careful in case the skin allergy translates into an ingestion allergy. I'm hoping that's not the case, but allergies can be quite serious, so tread lightly.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#34 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

My sincere hope is that it is a result of exposure to the A.A. itself, and not from drinking absinthe. Please let us know if/when you find out something definitive, Phoenix. I'm pulling for you!

#35 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,974 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

Phoenix's reaction sounds exactly like mine. I'm sad to report that handling A.A. much at all causes me some pretty severe reactions, too. Itching, sneezing and intense throat and sinus pain. I can still load the pot but harvesting A.A. is out. Same with pontica and genepi.

I'm happy to report, drinking absinthe is still A-OK! :thumbup:

#36 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:44 AM

I have the same reaction to handling A.a.. Itching, sneezing, throat irritation and sinus reaction. I will admit, that what happened to Phoenix at the party was worse than anything that happens to me. I got the sniffles a bit after messing with the A.a., but I think you were in it a bit more than me, Phoenix.

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#37 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Harvesting a field is a bit of a task anyways. My sinuses were screaming at me when I was done. I can still handle and eat the raw stuff though.

Best of luck Phoenix.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#38 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

I can't speak to an allergic skin reaction,but if you're experiencing an airborn allergic reaction to the plant, please consider taking local bee pollen.Results are cumulative,so give it some time.I was having terrible seasonal allergies until 3 yrs ago.I couldn't talk at one point,& it felt like I had a grapefruit size tumor in my left sinus passage. I started using it,& not a sniffle since! I started taking it 2 1/2 mos.prior to when I would have normally had my reaction.

Edited by redwun, 26 March 2012 - 03:04 PM.

You Know there ain't no Devil that's just God when he's drunk"...Tom Waits

#39 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

I've heard that local honey can have the same effect. I throw a little in my morning smoothie. Not sure if it is making much of a difference, since my outdoor allergies aren't all that bad anyway.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#40 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,720 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

I started taking pollen last year and haven't had any problems with airborne allergies. Food allergies, that's another matter. I don't know if it's a factor or not, but has anyone noticed honey bees on wormwood buds? I don't have any plants growing around here. If so, an apiary located near a wormwood patch might prove beneficial.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#41 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

I've never seen bees on wormwood flowers.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#42 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

I just spent a couple minutes on line,& apparently wormwood is a bee repellent.Oh well,I guess polllen's not gonna work for a wormwood allergy.

#43 billnchristy

billnchristy

• Bronze Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

Pollen gets so thick here I just gather a bunch off the car and do a line of it like Scarface.

:twitchsmile:

#44 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

You do know that when I said I was "on line" that I meant the internet right? ;)

#45 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,974 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

<wipes gin from monitor screen> That was pretty damn funny. :laugh:

#46 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

:laf:

I pledge allegiance to Queen Fragg and her mighty state of Hysteria...     -Calvin

"Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone."    -Hobbes

#47 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,618 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

Good one, Red.

I hope you'll be here all week too.

and the veal is excellent. :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#48 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

This update is a little slow as I've been slightly gun shy about absinthe after I had my allergic reaction and I don't drink as much now that I'm in school anyways. I'm happy to report that I've had 5-6 glasses since then and I'm not dead. I'm guessing that my throat reaction was due to either playing with the AA that was going around or by sampling a glass of absinthe that had been colored using a slight amount of AA. As I had a pretty severe skin reaction earlier in that week, I think my body was pretty pissed off and hyper sensitive at that point.

Edited by Phoenix, 28 April 2012 - 01:41 PM.

"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#49 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,176 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Glad to read that you may have narrowed the problem down.

Stay healthy please. :wave2:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#50 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

Ditto what the disembodied manatee said.

#51 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,618 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

Tritto, Dawg.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#52 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

I think you called it on the already hypersensitive. I broke out in hives at the East Coast OC tasting. Too many "irritants" that normally would not have bothered me but too much at one time was all it took. Knowledge is power and gloves are great things.
I am the wood nymph.

#53 billnchristy

billnchristy

• Bronze Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

Was that a Jules quote or did OJ break in?

:cheers:

#54 optional

optional

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

Just had an allergic reaction to Vieux Carre. Never had a reaction to absinthe before. Not sure exactly what herb was responsible.

#55 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

I hate to sound like a broken record, but please, please, please be careful going forward with absinthe when you discover a potential allergy or sensitivity. I recently had a friend who had always experienced an "itchy mouth" when eating sunflower seeds. After eating a few sunflower seeds on a salad at lunch we went for a run together, which provoked (exertion + low level allergy = bad news) a full blow allergic reaction and my calling 911. I'm not trying to be alarmist, but your health and life is nothing to play with. Use caution, keep Benadryl (and possibly an Epipen) handy.

#56 optional

optional

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Benadryl + alcohol is a fatal combination. Claritin is a better choice. That said, it's good advice. I have many other allergies, so I'm used to it.

#57 optional

optional

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

It's official. I'm allergic to Artemisia genipi aka black wormwood. I just tasted Ridge Blanche and boom, face rash. It says it has some right there on the label, and it's also used in Vieux Carre.

Bad god damn times.

Edited by optional, 29 June 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#58 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, Optional. Which absinthes have you tried and NOT had a reaction to? I know not every absinthe uses genipi, but a decent amount seem to.

My girlfriend had a similar reaction twice with the Ridge Verte (and I was fine with taking up her slack on the rest of the bottle, but don't tell her I said that), but the third and final time she tried it we didn't detect any reaction. I'm not really sure what to make of that, other than her reaction may have been stress-related; any chance that could be the same for you?

#59 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

Any chance you letting go of that bottle at a drastically rebated price? B) Sorry to hear the bad news optional. Maybe you could slowly work up a tolerance by drinking it in very small doses occationally.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#60 optional

optional

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

It sucks, but yeah. I've only had reactions to VC and Ridge Blanche so far. I'm going to sell the bottle of Ridge Blanche at a very reduced price to a friend of mine.

I've never had a reaction to Ridge Verte. I've been checking out which bottles have the stuff in it, but few seem to even name the herbs they use.

I also have a very large list of stuff I'm allergic to. Most of the stuff is a very small reaction that I don't even notice anymore. That list includes tomatoes, wheat, grasses, garlic, trees, milk, cats, and more I've forgotten. I don't notice my allergies to those at all anymore since I'm constantly exposed to them. I occasionally get a few sneezes. I've had bad reactions to an antibiotic which gave me full body hives and quite a few scars. Genipi is the 2nd worse allergic reaction I've had, so I'm just going to stay away.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association