Photo

My absinthe tastes better the slower I drink it.

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#31 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

Ever have it un-louche on you after a few hours?

yes I have. But to be honest I put in the fridge to see if it would. It took a day and a half.

Also, way back before I met any of youse guys,I was drinking some well-intentioned but ill-informed HGs that required sweetening(the verte, anyway)--I'd use agave nectar and/or honey and sometimes use seltzer water--yeah, yeah, I know. I'd use these big goblet glasses that held 2 or 3 doses' worth. Sometimes I'd put it in the freezer if I couldn't finish it, and when I'd pull it out and thaw it it would still be louched.
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#32 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

No matter how you drink it, there's still the same amount of booze in the bottle.

Truer words have never been spoken

Edited by Songcatcher, 24 January 2012 - 04:03 PM.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#33 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

About half of the 20 or so sample bottles were amazingly still louched. The other half was as clear as before they were prepared. I wish I would have taken the time to note which was which.

This sounds like a cool science project. I'd be willing to undertake it, or at least start it. I'll see if I can work on developing a hypothesis to start.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#34 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

Joe,
send me a bottle of Ridge and I promise to use the bottle for experimentations only ;)
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#35 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

I wish I could but the Montana Department of Revenue says I certainly may not.

The experiment:
24 hours in the fridge in a sealed glass jar. It looks like a milky-smooth louche. I intend to let it rest there for several days before the next step, checking the flavor and mouth feel. Oh! The things I do for you crazy kids. ;)

#36 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

Maybe you should test one with louche shortcomings...Ridge might skew the results a little. :laugh:
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#37 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

How 'bout the Montana Department of... Louche Experimentation. Yeah, that's the ticket! :devil:
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#38 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

I've tried several rigorous experiments to see if it tastes better when I drink it fast, but I never seem to remember the results.

#39 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,712 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

The experiment:
24 hours in the fridge in a sealed glass jar. It looks like a milky-smooth louche. I intend to let it rest there for several days before the next step, checking the flavor and mouth feel. Oh! The things I do for you crazy kids. ;)

Oooooh! Can we try that with the shitsinthes that actually louche this year at RMGH? With the small amount we were able to sample, it seems only fair we find sometime of meaningful use for some of the rest of the contents in the bottle without endangering the health of others around.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#40 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:40 AM

You could always say you are shipping flowers protected in a glass vase. Sort of true eh? :laugh:

#41 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:16 AM

Catskill Cellars can ship Ridge products. Nice folks on top of that.

A producer won't put their permits and hard work in jeopardy for a bottle or vase. *smiley wink*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#42 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:19 AM

Twas more of a joke, but yeah. I would not ever want them to do anything that would put their distillation in jeopardy.

I 100% agree with you about Catskill cellars. Making an order again with them soon.

Edited by greytail, 25 January 2012 - 06:20 AM.

#43 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

Of course it was a joke and it was taken that way. No harm, no foul. Darn gubmit rules. :cheers:
I am the wood nymph.

#44 Phoney

Phoney

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:46 AM

Joe, back when we did the OC tasting, we bottled up a lot of the leftovers that weren't given out, but we're already prepared. We left them in the fridge. They apparently stayed there for the next six months. When we visited the next time, I took them out to empty them n the sink, as I didn't see them being well preserved after that long. About half of the 20 or so sample bottles were amazingly still louched. The other half was as clear as before they were prepared. I wish I would have taken the time to note which was which.

Once I had that experiment accidentally when I left some home-made mouthwash (I mean, actually intended to be moutwash, not absinthe:) ) louched in the cupboard. After a few days, they microscopic drops transformed into bigger ones, so the louche itself disappeared and transformed into almost invisible tiny dots.

As far as I know, louche is supposed to be stable, yet the drops may grow and grow via Ostwald ripening which has some specific conditions (theres a quite technical article about it on wiki), so the louche's long-term stability may have nothing to do with a brand's quality.

#45 Minnalouche

Minnalouche

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:06 AM

I have a tendency to leave my absinthe lying around the house forgotten...it's always a bit more difficult to finish it a few hours later (I find.)

Now that's what I call absinthe-mindedness! ;)
Does Minnalouche know that his absinthe
Will pass from change to change
As emerald clouds to opal,
And yet nothing will change?

Still he drinks opaline.

#46 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:36 AM

... the abv is low enough to allow for spoilage. That's the reason you can't sell pre louched absinthe. Ted told that when I asked. I felt quite silly not realizing the obvious answer.

I don't believe it. <snip>
<slight pause>
I now have a sealed glass container filed with Ridge Verte at 4-to-1 in the fridge. <snip> If it holds the louche, the next experiment is to "un louche" a glass and then refrigerate it.

2 weeks later: I still have a louched glass of absinthe in my fridge. Time to move it to the desk beside my computer. "Unlouche, you bastid!"

#47 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:56 AM

Aw c'mon Joe........drink it! *smile*

Hasn't it suffered enough?
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#48 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:15 AM

I wonder how my students grades might change if I had a glass of absinthe before 8:00am class? :g:
I don't think I want to know just yet.

After achieving an unlouche, I'll pop it back into the fridge to see if it can be relouched. Then, the taste test!

#49 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,540 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:10 AM

Oh, I'm sure it'll be just yummy, but I'm glad you're going to be the one to find out first hand. :laugh:

Edited by Absomphe, 06 February 2012 - 06:13 AM.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#50 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:23 AM

amen! *smiley wink*

#51 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:48 AM

ditto

The problem with louched absinthe in a can, is all the time where the enviorment is out of the producers hands. Like sitting in a pallet outside a store in Midland Tx, in August.

#52 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

I don't think I'm even remotely considering it as a viable product but it does raise the question, Could it work? Despite the heat in Midland, I'm guessing they successfully ship far more delicate products: eggs, flowers, dairy products, meat, fresh produce, etc... At 5% abv, beer should be much more fragile and yet they have beer in Texas and yet they have similar products. ;) Truth is, I think you were given a little misinformation. I think a pre-louched absinthe, sold in a six-pack is perfectly viable although not perfectly desirable. :laugh:

#53 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

That occured to me, but I wan't about to debate a darn organic chemist on the subject he has pursued passionately for well over a decade, and I had known for three months at the time. :)

That and the thought of his NO, in a can, sitting outside a store in Midland, TX was probably too much for him.

We do have good beer, Mr. Mountain man, but it comes in bottles or growlers, from small to micro sized breweries.

#54 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

I hope Texas finally has good beer. I haven't been that way in a couple of decades. When last there, their version of local beer was Lone Star and Shiner. Blech. :laugh:

#55 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,540 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

What he said, plus a decade.

Although, the Sharpstown Mall did have a pretty good imported beer selection, or at least what passed for a pretty good imported beer selection in 1982. :laugh:

Edited by Absomphe, 06 February 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#56 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,540 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

Damnable unbidden double posts. :thumbdown:

Edited by Absomphe, 06 February 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#57 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

• 2,669 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

Easily forgiven. As a Gemini, you're almost compelled to do everything twice. ;) :devil:

I pledge allegiance to Queen Fragg and her mighty state of Hysteria...     -Calvin

"Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone."    -Hobbes

#58 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

Article on Temperature and Taste Study.

Might answer some questions.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#59 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,540 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Easily forgiven. As a Gemini, you're almost compelled to do everything twice. ;) :devil:

That's what she said. :devil:

#60 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

Oh, between St. Arnolds, Real Ale Brewing, and a bunch of pub breweries in the Hill Country, we do have some pretty damn good beer nowadays. Even Shiner has released a few special editions that are decent. Real Ale Brewing is my favorite of the ones I can get in the supermarket, although that is a relatively new thing, as ~6 years ago I had to be in the Hill Country to buy their offerings. Their pale rye ale, ESB, barleywine, are pretty decent.
The Bed n Brew Inn offers far out rooms, with a complimentary pint (or sampler, which I suggest) from their beer, which is brewed right behind the bar. Don't look for breakfast, there is no one downstairs until lunch time.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association