Sign in to follow this  
greytail

Another Mansinthe discussion

The reason behind me no wanting to order commercially has more to do with where it would be sent and who would be the one potentially signing for it. (Yes, this old monkey is past the legal age).

Can you have the absinthe shipped to a friend or your work place? Here in NH the state liquor stores have even worse choices than yours, and online ordering is the only acceptable option I have (except when I travel to NYC or DC). It takes less than a week to arrive, and the prices are often significantly cheaper than liquor stores. From what I can tell, your options are either Mansinthe (never tried it, so I can't give an opinion) or find a way to shop online.

I use DUNY, Catskill Cellars, and Liqueurs de France. Going without is unacceptable!

Edited by crow

Probably the people at the store have no idea what Tempus Fugit is, simply because the often hardly know what it is they sell unless it's Bud Light Lime.

However, if they have Mansinthe on the shelf, they should be able to hook you up with Pacifique, since Tempus Fugit is the main distributor for Mansinthe in the U.S...

Methinks you just need to talk to the right person in "your store".

You would think so. However, it is unbelievable how many people do not know anything about anything here. I think I may have found a solution for now though.

:cheers:

Just got off the phone. Here is the deal. Talked with someone who could explain things at least. Basically the place get's it's distribution from a different company other than Tempus Fugit. Ochibi or something which sounds like that.

Now, ochibi can get mansinthe, but pacifique is not on the list, so it can't be got at the moment. I asked if they could suggest to ochibi, that sales for absinthe might increase if they got better brands. (have seen the same bottles on the shelf forever). All they can do is ask but they are low on the totem pole so it may not happen.

The manager did say that while their store was not supplied by Tempus Fugit, others may and is why one of their stores shows up on the distribution map for Tempus Fugit. However, the plain news is that No Pacifique FOR YOU! The absinthe nazis in Orlando have spoken.

Edited by greytail

I'm telling you I have tried several different ways to get good stuff into the stores around here but NH is numero uno when it comes to being liquor nazis (how does that jive with the friggin state motto, "Live Free or Die"?).

I can't even get Mansinthe here.

Just got off the phone. Here is the deal. Talked with someone who could explain things at least. Basically the place get's it's distribution from a different company other than Tempus Fugit. Ochibi or something which sounds like that.

Now, ochibi can get mansinthe, but pacifique is not on the list, so it can't be got at the moment. I asked if they could suggest to ochibi, that sales for absinthe might increase if they got better brands. (have seen the same bottles on the shelf forever). All they can do is ask but they are low on the totem pole so it may not happen.

The manager did say that while their store was not supplied by Tempus Fugit, others may and is why one of their stores shows up on the distribution map for Tempus Fugit. However, the plain news is that No Pacifique FOR YOU! The absinthe nazis in Orlando have spoken.

Actually, the distributors name is "Opici Wine Co." Opici can get Pacifique into Florida if they wanted to since they are the East Coast distributor for most of Tempus Fugit's fine products.

ignorance might be the issue you are facing. If you ask for it enough, and make a case for them carrying a brand popular among absintheurs, you might get your wish.

Probably right Miguel.

On a different note, I have read a bit up on the "meadow of love" and "Walton Waters" absinthe. I notice that MoL has violet and WW has Lemon Balm added.

I see that these two are considered among some of the best US commercial offerings. What aspect does the violet bring to the palate? Trying to imagine how it might taste.

Which of the two do you prefer? I hate choices.

Ok. You have 3 available brands: Pacifique, WW and MoL to choose between.

Here is what I like: I enjoyed the creaminess of the Jade absinthes. I enjoyed the wormwood profile. What I don't like most about all the absinthes I have had over the past few years is the one dimensional flavor and thinness of the mouthfeel.

Another thing I loved about the Jades was a distinct lingering after taste and even an after smell in the glass after the last drop. Reminded me of talc powder or baby powder (smell).

Which of the three, if any, above would come the closest?

Splitting hairs there. I have tried the MoL, the Pacifique, and I'm only missing the VS among the Jades. I'll put the JL1901 at the head, but the MoL and Pacifique in front of the other Jades I've tried. And then it is still splitting hairs. The Pacifique might have a slighty more Aa, and is more 'balanced', but the MoL is also an amazing drink in its own right, a bit lighter, and sweeter, with a nice aroma from the violet. Had it been legal, it would have been the official drink of the Woodstock Festival. To put it bluntly I could not pick a favorite between MoL and Pacifique, although Pacifique is my 'go to' absinthe. And I would pick either before Eddy or NO.

You might like Pacifique from your description, but you would not go wrong with MoL. WW is on my short list.

Caddel Williams carries the Ridge, and they are pretty good too, they have a a great wild Aa flavor.

There are a few domestic absinthes that you can't hardly beat. As Miguel suggested, it's splitting hairs choosing which one's better than the other. Try them and see what you think.

Cheers!

None of those three choices are "one dimensional". In fact, they are all quite complicated. Based on your description of preferences, I would guess that either the MoL or Pacifique would most fit the bill. The MoL is dry, floral and exotic... nouvelle. The Pacifique has great A.a., good spiciness and great hyssop (that baby powder thing) and very correctly traditional. The WW probably is the most "creamy" mouthfeel of the three but doesn't have a pronounced hyssop quality that you seem to lust after. The trouble is that all are top-notch. Good luck. Good drinking.

Pacifique, Duplais Verte, Ridge Verte, and MoL are four absinthes I will always have in my cabinet. If I really had to choose just one? Pacifique.

Thanks all for the replies. I am excited to tell it looks as if I will get a chance at some Pacifique to taste. I feel as excited as I did when I first ordered my first Jade product.

I have yet to buy a blanche. The only one I've tried was Kübler, in a restaurant. I really want to try Ridge B and Clandestine, but not sure about buying a whole bottle. I really like the herby taste of absinthe and I'm afraid I won't like blanches as much. The Kübler left me cold.

You have no need to worry with either of those selections...they're both good (and I *HATE* blanches).

I saw that Caskill Cellars was selling the both as a pair.

With the Ridge B, I noticed my palate was very sensitive to just the right amount of water, especialy overwatering. But when louched just right (on the rich side of things), it is heavenly.

So it sounds I can't go wrong with either of the 3. Good. I'll have to try all three at some point then.

Now you're talkin'!

:thumbup: