#1 DakotaDan23

DakotaDan23

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

At least I think I did!

I'm going to try to get pics up shortly, but based on the one photo I found on another site selling one, I'm pretty sure that's what this one is: leaf-shaped, slotted, with 2 hallmarks.

For further research, I have a few questions if anyone doesn't mind:

I can find several references to the "MCD" book, or the "Delahaye" book, but I can't find what book exactly everyone is speaking about. I know it's by Marie-Claude Delahaye, but she's written several. There seems to be a "definitive" guide, and I'd be interested in obtaining a copy.

Is there a site to figure out the hallmarks? I have found several, but I'm not finding anything that matches what is stamped into the spoon. Will the book answer this question?

Is a "regular" jeweller a good place to start with appraising the spoon? I'm fully aware the one I found is maybe worth $120, but I like to have documentation for everything. Maybe a silversmith? Any recommendations? I'm in the Tampa, Florida, area, and I'm assuming there are some local sources.

Thanks for the time and patience to read post #2 by a newb, and I look forward to starting my own small collection.

Dan

#2 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:30 AM

Scott and Clement will likely know that kind of stuff. I would consult with either, or both, before dropping $$ on antiques.

#3 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,303 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:38 AM

Here ye go! Book

#4 DakotaDan23

DakotaDan23

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:10 AM

Woot!

#5 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:10 PM

I humbly suggest buying the book on eBay instead, as $40 is preferable to $196 :cheers:

#6 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,303 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

YIKES! I hadn't seen the price! Good catch Jay...

#7 DakotaDan23

DakotaDan23

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:20 AM

Yep, you'll notice there wasn't an immediate order through the site....

In other news, I do have a couple of photos available, but no luck inserting them or uploading as they're larger than the allotted space. Will work on that.

#8 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:57 PM

I always upload my photos to a photo sharing site and link to them.
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#9 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:22 AM

Is there a site to figure out the hallmarks? I have found several, but I'm not finding anything that matches what is stamped into the spoon. Will the book answer this question?

Yup, most of the time at least. Marie-Claude has made an extensive work in trying to catalog all the hallmarks and makers for each model of spoon. But there are so many out there that sometimes you will find the case she did not have at the time.

One must be recalled that she started this book before the internet was widespread, through a collectors network.

Is a "regular" jeweller a good place to start with appraising the spoon?

I'm fully aware the one I found is maybe worth $120,

~$100 there : http://www.museeabsi...hop/spoons.html , which is not their top price. (I wonder if mine is a 25 or 26 though, now you say it. Payed it 10€ anyway...)

but I like to have documentation for everything. Maybe a silversmith? Any recommendations? I'm in the Tampa, Florida, area, and I'm assuming there are some local sources.

Truly, you won't find any better source of information than here. With Marc, who sometime passes here, and in a lesser manner Scott and yours truly, you may find any answer you want.

Thanks for the time and patience to read post #2 by a newb, and I look forward to starting my own small collection.

Pack the money then, and good luck :)

On a side note : http://www.imageshack.us to upload your pictures, and then a link here
Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association