Jetzster

Time for a WS City Roll Call

:laf:

The best part? They found it, then lost it again.

I'll agree with Ron!

So you've visited?! ( Goes for you too Ron!)

I thought my little slice of the world wasn't all that traveled by folks. Cool to hear!

P.S. The thought of gov't reward money going to absinthe has now been firmly placed in my head :dribble:

Yeah, most people don't know that we've had a few lost nukes, and that one is buried in the sand just beneath the waters on the beach at Tybee Island. I would venture to say most people living on Tybee don't even know they live at ground zero for eventual doom. It almost feels like there should be some mandatory disclosure. You know, if you sell a home that has black mold, you're required to tell the prospective buyer. If you live next to a Mark 15 Hydrogen Bomb buried in the beach, that should be disclosed! Regardless of how the Air Force maintains the plutonium trigger was removed before flight, the facts maintain that it wasn't removed, and that there is a payload of highly enriched uranium and conventional explosives nestled snugly into the shallow seabed.

So you've visited?!

Not a chance, buddy! But seriously, no. I'm sort of a military history goon, and I've read up on our Broken Arrow incidents. So when I saw Tybee I couldn't resist!

On a semi-related note, in Alabama there is a city called Anniston in which the residents are all issued gas masks. Anniston used to be the site of the Ft. McClellan Army base. The official reason for the distribution of the masks is that the Army periodically does controlled burns of their left over stock piles of nerve gas, and the masks are just a precaution. However, according to several people who were stationed there around WWII, the Army buried hundreds of barrels of chemical weapons around the city but did not keep records on all of it. So, there are stockpiles of Mustard Gas and various other nerve agents just waiting... in corroding barrels...

I don't live there, but I have often wondered how long after having a baby is it issued a mask...

Also, Anniston is the home of the 2nd largest office chair in the world.

worlds-biggest-roadside-attractions-1a.jpg

Edited by Awful

You didn't happen to catch the news a couple weeks ago from DC did you? They found some old WWI chemical weapons buried in a front garden. In glass jars. And they broke a couple.

Also, if you think Anniston was bad, the next time you're driving in Northern Oregon, stop by the pleasant Umatilla weapons depot. It's got all these cute little hills, arrange in neat rows and covered in grass. It's the bunkers which contain a huge portion of our chemical weapon stockpile. Just north of the state line into Washington there are miles and miles of amazing, hugely tall sunflowers.

You didn't happen to catch the news a couple weeks ago from DC did you?

I hadn't previously heard about that, but after I read your post I looked it up. They buried Mustard Gas in glass jars? I understand that those were different times, but I can't imagine it ever being acceptable to bury neurotoxins in breakable containers.

Also, if you think Anniston was bad, the next time you're driving in Northern Oregon, stop by the pleasant Umatilla weapons depot. It's got all these cute little hills, arrange in neat rows and covered in grass. It's the bunkers which contain a huge portion of our chemical weapon stockpile.

I have a lot of friends in Oregon, and that is exactly the kind of sight seeing that I appreciate... At least you know where they are though.

Edited by Awful

On a semi-related note, in Alabama there is a city called Anniston in which the residents are all issued gas masks. Anniston used to be the site of the Ft. McClellan Army base. The official reason for the distribution of the masks is that the Army periodically does controlled burns of their left over stock piles of nerve gas, and the masks are just a precaution. However, according to several people who were stationed there around WWII, the Army buried hundreds of barrels of chemical weapons around the city but did not keep records on all of it. So, there are stockpiles of Mustard Gas and various other nerve agents just waiting... in corroding barrels...

I don't live there, but I have often wondered how long after having a baby is it issued a mask...

Also, Anniston is the home of the 2nd largest office chair in the world.

worlds-biggest-roadside-attractions-1a.jpg

Hahahahaahaha! This is my home town. You failed to mention the PCBs which saturate our soil and water. Huge chemical plant (a half mile from the high school) spurted green, toxic gas in our town for over twenty years. Higher average of cancer and disease in this neck of the woods. Of course, the megabucks chemical plant denied it, but was proven guilty in a class-action lawsuit with thousands dispersed to the residents. Residents spent their dispursement on gun racks and 4-wheel drives.

I taught at the high school near the chemical plant. Higher than average ratio of mental retardation among the youngsters.

Also, every home is issued an emergency preparedness kit complete with gasmask. Chernobyl ain't got nothin' on us!

:paperbag3: Hmmm...in the running for the Toxic Trophy, two words: Love Canal, 25 miles up the road. (Were you around for that shining example of :poop: , Absomphe?) Oh, there is that large waterfalls nearby, too... ;)

You should have dropped the comma in that quote for it to have the desired effect, teach. :harhar:

And, yes, Sardonix, I most certainly was around for the Love Canal fiasco.

In fact, The Vores local hit Love Canal was quite a favorite of mine. :devil:

You should have dropped the comma in that quote for it to have the desired effect, teach. :harhar:

Nope, the comma makes it an appositive phrase. Appositives rename or describe a noun or pronoun. :tongue:

You want a poetic juxtaposition? Check out how the Chernobyl exclusion zone has turned into a massive wildlife sanctuary and nature preserve.

At the school I work at we had a kid with Chrones. At his graduation his Grandmother told me she and her hubby lived near Chernobyl when all that crap went down. She said everyone of her kids and grandkids had some serious medical problem. Sad.

Edited by Attack Accountant

I've done a lot of reading on Chernobyl. A few years ago I downloaded a short, powerful photo essay regarding that particular legacy of Chernobyl, the human factor.

Here it is.

I'll go ahead and claim Lexington, Kentucky - fast women, pretty horses and great bourbon! (Or possibly re-arrange those...I'm not sure which it should be.)

Edited by Kalleo