Absinthe Tasting Party Inquiry

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 Maredudd

Maredudd

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

One more thought. Be prepared with a good, logical response to the question of setting absinthe on fire. At the first couple of demos I did, I couldn't believe how often this came up. It actually was the most common question that I didn't expect. The people that have proffered it as an "authentic" practice have done an unbelievable job of selling it. Start here, here, and here for some info.

Forewarned is for-armed! :-)

I have run across a few folks who asked the same question, and at least one who thought it tasted terrible . . . :-)

Thanks again! To everyone!
- The question isn't if you CAN do it . . .
- The question is should you . . .

#32 Maredudd

Maredudd

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:50 PM

Is there a way to upload an image directly to the forum?

I took a picture of three of the small glasses I'm considering for use during the party and want to post it here, especially as I said I would! :-)

#33 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,894 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

Please do! I use Photobucket. It's simple and free. What's not to like in that?

#34 Maredudd

Maredudd

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:49 AM

Please do! I use Photobucket. It's simple and free. What's not to like in that?

DOH! I should have thought of that! Lets see if this works!

Proposed Absinthe Tasting Glasses

I used a vintage shot glass to measure the Ridge Extrait d’ Absinthe Verte. (I don't have a Pontarlier glass yet.)

I mixed it approximately 4-to-1 without sugar, not that it really matters, and then measured 1 oz, using the shot glass again, into each of the three tasting glasses.

Edited by Maredudd, 16 December 2011 - 06:05 AM.

#35 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,894 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:48 AM

Nice glasses for the tasting! :cheers: (Also, the WS props!)

When you upload to Photobucket, click on your picture. An "IMG" link will appear on the right. Click on it and it should give you a "copied" message. Simply paste that into your WS post. Cake!

#36 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:27 AM

I like those small snifter glasses. Classy.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#37 Maredudd

Maredudd

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

Hi Folks!

I am making progress on my plans for the absinthe tasting parlor this coming weekend. Today I picked up my fountain.

Edited by Maredudd, 27 December 2011 - 05:42 AM.

#38 Maredudd

Maredudd

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

Not sure now of the Absinthe Tasting Party is going to happen. I got a two hour drive to get there and then the setup and my wife still isn't ready to go. It might still happen, but not the way I had hoped, and planned . . . :(

Oh well, more absinthe for me! :)

And I'll have another chance late in January and will have more control over my schedule as it will be taking place here at the house and will have fewer people.

#39 Maredudd

Maredudd

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hi Folks!

Well, it happened and went fairly well despite a few hiccups!

I'll post pics as soon as I get them and will provide a brief summary of the proceedings tomorrow! :-)

#40 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

:cheers:

#41 Maredudd

Maredudd

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

Hi Folks!

The Absinthe Tasting went well, though I did have a few hiccups along the way.

My wife started on my outfit late and ended up working on it until around 6:00 pm which put us on site at 10:00 pm. I immediately pulled out my stuff and went to the hall where the Streampunk Ball was to occur. This picture shows Dr. H. G. Brasington's Parlour d'Absinthe before I added my stuff. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture after I had set my stuff out. I'm still holding out though for the possibility that someone else did and that I can get a copy of it. Despite running late, by 11:00pm the party was in full swing.

I followed my original plan for the most part, sitting four people in each group. We talked a little about absinthe; its history, the hype, and some of what real absinthe is about. I did have a few people that had already done some research and new how much credence to lend the hype. The rest of the folks were more than willing to listen and walked away with a better understanding of what absinthe is.

I had on hand two blanches and five vertes, one of which was Lucid. I let each group sample three absinthes, starting with a blanche, as was recommended in this thread, then we sampled a verte. We rounded out each round with Lucid, which, though I think its ok, is the least of the 7 absinthes I had with me that night. The first round went well with three of the customers walking away with the name of at least one absinthe to look for and plans to pick it up. This picture is of the first group. Here is a second picture of the first group. Does anyone want to take a shot at which absinthes you can see over the ladies shoulder?

Unfortunately, while preparing the first sample for the second round, I got distracted during the measuring and mixed it a little strong, like 2:1. I figured that out when one of the customers commented that it tasted like grain alcohol with a hint of licorice. I tasted it and realized my mistake and remixed it. The rest of that round went smoothly. Here is a picture of the second group, with a few additional folks hanging around and absorbing the atmosphere.

Throughout the night I only had one incident where someone walked up looking for free alcohol. I told the individual that he was welcome to have some but he would have to wait and then join the next group and partake of the tasting. He ended up hanging out until the official tasting was done and then I let him sample each of the seven absinthes on hand.

In the end, I had a few folks that decided absinthe wasn't for them, but I also had more than a few folks walk away with a glass of absinthe in hand and the names of a couple of absinthes to look up. The wonderful lady that set up the "Parlour" for me, and by the way providing most of the steampunk decorations for the hall, was very pleased at how the Absinthe Tasting party went. All told, I think it was a smashing success.

One final note, I had worked up a handout to, well, hand out, using a number of the articles found here on the WS site, including a review of each of the absinthes I had on hand. I sought out and received permission from the original authors to include the articles and reviews but in the end I had a problem with my printer and then didn't get the opportunity to stop by the print shop to get them printed, so I ended up winging it. I do plan on tweaking the handout and using it at future such parties.

Maredudd

Edited by Maredudd, 02 January 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#42 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Sounds like it went well and was a lot of fun. It takes a couple of these to get the 'smooth' down. It ain't yankin' corks and twistin' your wrist!
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#43 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:01 AM

Sounds like a great job Maredudd, bringing the knowledge to the people! As well as bringing the booze to the people!

I know Ron worked up a pretty awesome Absinthe 101 flier if you haven't already run across it for your literature.
This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#44 Scott M.

Scott M.

Advanced can't re-member

• 3,271 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

Sounds like a great time! A hand-out with the on-line stores for absinthe and gear is also a great way to help folks get going on their own.
-Life is nature's way of keeping food fresh.
http://www.absintheantiques.net

#45 Maredudd

Maredudd

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

I know Ron worked up a pretty awesome Absinthe 101 flier if you haven't already run across it for your literature.

If your talking about the flyer that is available on the WS Home page I had intended to take copies of that as well but suffered from the same printer problem.

Sounds like a great time! A hand-out with the on-line stores for absinthe and gear is also a great way to help folks get going on their own.

I didn't think about that! I did mention both DrinkUpNY and Catskill Cellars but that would be idea info to place in the tweaked handout.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association