crow

State Liquor Stores

Do they all have such bad taste? Here in NH they carry Lucid, Grande Absente, I think I saw La Fee, and something called Absente Ordinaire. I went in today to ask about the possibilities of requesting different brands, and the manager gave me a very "not likely" answer. So it looks like DUNY and Catskill Cellars is it for me, in addition to my occasional jaunts to NYC and DC (Boston isn't much better, frankly, but I have seen VC there).

Was just wondering if other state liquor stores do any better than NH?

I'm sure they're all unique in their own bits of weirdness. Our selections are limited but the individual stores have the option of making small orders of products not stocked by the state warehouse. For example, I was delighted to see Pacifique on the shelves of our favorite store. On some products, the store will order it for individuals but it's up to them whether they require you pay for the whole case up front. The only problem, it takes quite awhile for the store to place the order then the warehouse to place the order then the warehouse to receive the order then the store to finally get it from the warehouse. Whew.

Well, our state liquor stores in Washington (at least the "Class A" variety) all carry Pacifique, although it's not because of good taste, but rather because they are required to do so by state law. However, with the state control of liquor stores coming to an end in June, one can only hope that they quickly develop a sense of absinthe aesthetic.

Well, our state liquor stores in Washington (at least the "Class A" variety) all carry Pacifique, although it's not because of good taste, but rather because they are required to do so by state law.

Required by law to carry Pacifique? Now that's a law I'd like to see passed in every state!

Well, our state liquor stores in Washington (at least the "Class A" variety) all carry Pacifique

I wish the one in Walla Walla was a "Class A". No Pacifique to be found there, but an hour's drive to Kennewick takes care of that problem. However, Pacifique is the only reason I would make the trip to the Tri-Cities. I need to get away from the eastern part of this state.

On some products, the store will order it for individuals but it's up to them whether they require you pay for the whole case up front. The only problem, it takes quite awhile for the store to place the order then the warehouse to place the order then the warehouse to receive the order then the store to finally get it from the warehouse. Whew.

It's much more fun to order a variety online, then wait for that wonderful moment when the UPS/FedEx guy drives up....

Well, our state liquor stores in Washington (at least the "Class A" variety) all carry Pacifique, although it's not because of good taste, but rather because they are required to do so by state law.

Abs, care to expound on this?

I think if there's any expounding to be offered on the subject, Marc would be far more qualified than I to fill you in on the details. :)

Colorado is a weird state in a good way.

The laws inhibit monopoly store chains, and favor individually run businesses. Leaving each store to have a unique personality and they all buy from several distributors. One of my favorite stores confessed to having a "clusterf***" of about two dozen distributors represented on his shelves.

The only problem is convincing some stores to carry more than Lucid and a handful of fauxsinthes. Recently Leopold Bros. Verte seems to be finding its way to more shelves, which is a good sign.

:thumbup: It's been way too long since I've had Leopold Bros. Verte. I haven't seen any on a shelf since I lived in VA, and even then it was only there for a short while (at least the store in my city that had the most variety). I still think that has the best aroma of any absinthe I've tried. That pisco base....mmmmmm.

I think I'm going to live out the scenario crow described, and order some.

In Oregon, the state owns the alcohol, but each store gets to choose what they want to bring in as long as the state will bring it in to their warehouse.

I've been having good luck bringing in other spirits that are unique or hard to find in the state, so I signed up here to learn more about Absinthe and to see if I can expand my selection on the shelf.

Sadly, I don't think every retailers is as interested in having the selection we have of spirits, or just doesn't have the room.. Which is really too bad for the consumer.

..., so I signed up here to learn more about Absinthe and to see if I can expand my selection on the shelf...
Then please head over to the Newcomers Intros so we can welcome you nice and proper like! :cheers:

For a tiny distillery (like us), it's impossible to hit every state with their wealth of laws and fees. We have to choose carefully which state we think we can afford to target. Fortunately, our distributor is dealing with those issues quite nicely.