Sign in to follow this  
DannyMac

Non-alcoholic absinthe?

I love the taste of absinthe, escpecially good absinthe however i cant afford to buy and drink it everyday and I dont want to become a alcoholic. Im wondering if there is any kind of beverage without alcohol that taste like absinthe. Maybe a type of tea or something?

You might be able to make a mixture of some herbs used in absinthe as a tea. I've messed around with anise and fennel mixtures, but I wouldn't dare throw any wormwood into the mix as it's bitter. I've read hyssop and lemon balm can be a bit bitter or tangy and might help recreate some of the flavors as well. I've also thrown a few drops of fennel extract into water when my stomach has been upset and that has a similar flavor, but there is some alcohol in it but a few drops shouldn't conflict with the reasons posted.

Sometimes I put just a few drops of absinthe in a bottle of water. Literally just a few drops. Makes the water yummy.

... I've messed around with anise and fennel mixtures, but I wouldn't dare throw any wormwood into the mix as it's bitter. I've read hyssop and lemon balm can be a bit bitter or tangy and might help recreate some of the flavors as well. ....

Hey Baubel, I made a wonderful tea based on your suggestion : equal parts of anise, fennel, lemon balm and lemongrass..... left them in infusion for 5 minutes....

Simply delicious.... and after swallowing there is still an end taste in the tongue...

thanks a lot !!!!!!!

- Marcelo

I wouldn't go so far as to say it tastes like absinthe, but I'm nonetheless quite fond of this tea:

http://www.stashtea.com/Stash-Tea-Licorice...l/dp/B005DM5DXY

It's definitely got the anise/licorice kick if that's what you're after. I also like to put bits of star anise and basil and rosemary and other random planty stuff in my drinking water. Again, it isn't absinthe or even a distant facsimile thereof, but it's more exciting than plain water and quite pleasantly refreshing on a warm day.

I love Stash's Licorice Spice tea. I was going to add you could take most of the herbs found in absinthe and blend them into tea. I'd mix wormwood, anise, lemon balm, mint, chamomile, fennel, coriander, hyssop and angelica into a black or green tea base. Gunpowder green tea might work well as a base for those herbs. You could just make it an herbal tea if you wanted.

Edited by Harlequin

Substitue the Grand Wormwood with a little Roman wormwood and you might get close.

What he said. Should be quite nice.

Honestly, the tea that the Aveda salons serve actually has a nice absinthe-y quality to it. Hyssop, licorice root, lemonbalm are in it, I believe. It has other things as well, and is no substitute/non-alco knockoff, but a nice tea all the same.