Photo

Mobile Access Poll - PLEASE TAKE THIS POLL

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Mobile Device Access Poll

How often do you access the WS home page and/or absinthe reviews on a mobile device?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How often do you access the WS discussion forums on a mobile device?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What operating system does your mobile device use?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:19 AM

I've never seen this forum or any other except when sitting at a PC. I have a cell phone mostly for when I travel. It's rudimentary - it makes telephone calls. It can access the Internet, but I've rarely done it. Believe it or not, there are areas in the U.S. where a cell phone is good for nothing but a door stop - there is no signal, ever. No Internet, either, absent a satellite setup.

#32 dBunneh

dBunneh

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

As a nerd and an iPod Touch owner I bought the Bento app which is a database. I then hand entered over 100 of the highest rated Absinthe, along with rating, and a photo of the bottle. I plan on entering them all. In this way I have a nice offline database for fast reference that can be searched by rating, name, type (verte, bleue, rouge), or available in the US or not. >.< I went a little OCD crazy.

As a newbie I didn't want to make the same mistake of buying a bad bottle of junk absinthe again.

The nice thing though is because I have the mac version of Bento also I can sync the db back and forth as I make updates on either.

#33 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

Hedonistic, wise-ass brat.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

, there are areas in the U.S. where a cell phone is good for nothing but a door stop - there is no signal, ever. No Internet, either, absent a satellite setup.

:biggrin: :heart: :biggrin:
Don't I know it!
That's one of the best things about Oregon, "black holes" everywhere regarding reception.

I pledge allegiance to Queen Fragg and her mighty state of Hysteria...     -Calvin

"Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone."    -Hobbes

#34 tattooed_medic

tattooed_medic

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

I probably use this site half on phone half on pc. Not sure if it shows up as mobile traffic though. I use dolphin and browse in desktop mode, not android mode.

#35 King_Stannis

King_Stannis

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

I look at the boards here on my Kindle Fire quite a bit.
"The king's brothers are the ones giving Cersei sleepless nights...Lord Stannis in particular. His claim is the true one, he is known for his prowess as a battle commander, and he is utterly without mercy. There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man." - Varys

#36 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

Is there a way I can put a WS icon on my mobile devices (phone and kindle fire) to link directly to the reviews section, the forum, or even just the home page? I access the WS frequently from mobile devices and would love a quick link.
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#37 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

If it's an iPhone, click to add a bookmark, and instead of adding to your existing bookmarks, click on the option to "Add to Home Screen."
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#38 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

Not iphone. Droid.

Not sure how, but I got an icon on my phone. Thanks for the tip, Alan.

Edited by crow, 01 August 2012 - 10:03 AM.

"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#39 E Bien

E Bien

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

I have the review page bookmarked on my Android browser and I'd love a mobile-optimized version of the reviews (might've saved me wasting money on that 375 of La Sirčne the salesperson at the liquor store was so gung-ho about ...). :thumbdown:

Even better would be a full-on "Absinthe Review App," especially if it could quickly find star-ratings and reviews based on a scan of the product's UPC code or a snapshot of the label, rank a few offerings in order of review scores and/or the WS "value for money" index, etc. Something anybody could use for a quick survey of the absinthe shelf at their local Discount Booze Barn.

It probably goes without saying I'm not a developer and I have no idea how difficult/expensive/impossible any of that might actually be.

#40 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

E bien, I was fooling around with my Droid, had bookmarked the WS review page but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to access the bookmark, let alone get an icon on the page... when somehow I got to the bookmarks and somehow they didn't show as url addresses but ICONS! I clicked and held, and voila! the option to put on a page!

However, that's about as much as I can tell you. If I'm ever able to duplicate the experiment, I'll let you know.

Really nice to now have the reviews at my fingertips. And, btw, where do you live that your local Discount Booze Barn has an ABSINTHE SHELF? Or were you just dreaming...

#41 E Bien

E Bien

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

Even the neighborhood liquor store I walk to has an "absinthe shelf." Trouble is, the "selection" consists of Leopold Bros. and a rotating assortment of stuff that would be better sold as drain cleaner. :no:

#42 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

E Bien, I'll trade you my local shelf for your local shelf.
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#43 Winkybok

Winkybok

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

I have an android and the site doesn't work so well :( I have access to a laptop right now so not a big issue but will be only on phone once I begin my travels again.

#44 Bon Bock

Bon Bock

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

I use a Kindle Fire quite often to view the site, reviews and forum. It seems to work well for the most part.
"I sit at my door, smoking a cigarette and sipping my absinthe, and I enjoy every day without a care in the world." - Paul Gauguin

#45 Bon Bock

Bon Bock

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

And speaking of the Kindle Fire, I usually scroll with my right thumb and this has led to me unintentionally hitting the "Report" button a few times on various posts. Sorry about that.
"I sit at my door, smoking a cigarette and sipping my absinthe, and I enjoy every day without a care in the world." - Paul Gauguin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association