Gwydion Stone

Mobile Access Poll - PLEASE TAKE THIS POLL

Mobile Device Access Poll  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've never seen this forum or any other except when sitting at a PC. I have a cell phone mostly for when I travel. It's rudimentary - it makes telephone calls. It can access the Internet, but I've rarely done it. Believe it or not, there are areas in the U.S. where a cell phone is good for nothing but a door stop - there is no signal, ever. No Internet, either, absent a satellite setup.

As a nerd and an iPod Touch owner I bought the Bento app which is a database. I then hand entered over 100 of the highest rated Absinthe, along with rating, and a photo of the bottle. I plan on entering them all. In this way I have a nice offline database for fast reference that can be searched by rating, name, type (verte, bleue, rouge), or available in the US or not. >.< I went a little OCD crazy.

As a newbie I didn't want to make the same mistake of buying a bad bottle of junk absinthe again.

The nice thing though is because I have the mac version of Bento also I can sync the db back and forth as I make updates on either.

, there are areas in the U.S. where a cell phone is good for nothing but a door stop - there is no signal, ever. No Internet, either, absent a satellite setup.

:biggrin: :heart: :biggrin:

Don't I know it!

That's one of the best things about Oregon, "black holes" everywhere regarding reception.

Is there a way I can put a WS icon on my mobile devices (phone and kindle fire) to link directly to the reviews section, the forum, or even just the home page? I access the WS frequently from mobile devices and would love a quick link.

Not iphone. Droid.

Not sure how, but I got an icon on my phone. Thanks for the tip, Alan.

Edited by crow

I have the review page bookmarked on my Android browser and I'd love a mobile-optimized version of the reviews (might've saved me wasting money on that 375 of La Sirène the salesperson at the liquor store was so gung-ho about ...). :thumbdown:

Even better would be a full-on "Absinthe Review App," especially if it could quickly find star-ratings and reviews based on a scan of the product's UPC code or a snapshot of the label, rank a few offerings in order of review scores and/or the WS "value for money" index, etc. Something anybody could use for a quick survey of the absinthe shelf at their local Discount Booze Barn.

It probably goes without saying I'm not a developer and I have no idea how difficult/expensive/impossible any of that might actually be.

E bien, I was fooling around with my Droid, had bookmarked the WS review page but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to access the bookmark, let alone get an icon on the page... when somehow I got to the bookmarks and somehow they didn't show as url addresses but ICONS! I clicked and held, and voila! the option to put on a page!

However, that's about as much as I can tell you. If I'm ever able to duplicate the experiment, I'll let you know.

Really nice to now have the reviews at my fingertips. And, btw, where do you live that your local Discount Booze Barn has an ABSINTHE SHELF? Or were you just dreaming...

Even the neighborhood liquor store I walk to has an "absinthe shelf." Trouble is, the "selection" consists of Leopold Bros. and a rotating assortment of stuff that would be better sold as drain cleaner. :no:

I have an android and the site doesn't work so well :( I have access to a laptop right now so not a big issue but will be only on phone once I begin my travels again.

And speaking of the Kindle Fire, I usually scroll with my right thumb and this has led to me unintentionally hitting the "Report" button a few times on various posts. Sorry about that.