Gwydion Stone

Mobile Access Poll - PLEASE TAKE THIS POLL

Mobile Device Access Poll  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As I move along with the site upgrade, I'd like to know how you guys are accessing the site. I can see a lot of mobile traffic in the server logs, but there's no way to know how much of it is from members.

There are a number of ways I can make the site and forums more mobile friendly, but more info will help me make some decisions along the way. Thanks!

At home I use a de-simmed iPhone, mostly for the forums. To write reviews, or any serious reading of reviews, I hop on a PC, probably onacuz they are hard to read on a little screen.

I read and post from my iPad probably 30% of the time. But if I'm creating threads, posting reviews, etc, I hop on my PC. I practically never use my phone to access either, however, I would still enjoy the ability to have a mobile app for the reviews.

Review App! Review App! ;)

I use my phone whenever I've got a bit of time to kill (like the hour and a half I spend on the bus every week, etc.) and when I just feel like checking up on stuff without having internet for my laptop or wanting to go into the other room to get my laptop...so maybe 3 or 4 times a week?

What is this "mobile" of which you speak? :wheelchair:

Strictly PC here.

Edited by Absomphe

I know it's blasphemous to the omnipresent Technology God that society now worships, but I actually like being completely "unplugged" now & then...What can I say, I'm a heretic! :laugh:

Post#8 denies its own existence. :)

Now and again, I do enjoy a trip to the gator infested swamps along the Brazos, where the signal sucks.

Edited by Miguel

I'm getting ready to respond to the poll but their are two questions missing . . .

Would you use a mobile device to read the WS Review section if is that capability were provided?

Would you use a mobile device to read the WS Discusion section if is that capability were provided?

My answer to both of these questions would be yes.

Maredudd

Hey!, you've upgraded, last time I was up on the Ridge all y'all had was some old miller cans with string attached to them. :pirate:

Your poll doesn't allow multiple responses. I access the forum on both IOS and Blackberry, although much more frequently via IOS since the iPad provides a good way to view and use the forum.

Not sure if this has come up elsewhere, but I find it a pain that I need to log in again every time I am in a new location (which evidently comes with a new IP). I don't have to do this on Fee Verte or most other sites which require a password (e.g. Facebook, Twitter). Why does this have to happen?

(Apart from the fact that it provides forum admin with details of all the countries and cities I visit, the IP addresses of every bar/coffee shop I log in from etc etc!).

I find it a pain that I need to log in again every time I am in a new location (which evidently comes with a new IP).

You should consider a password that's simpler than the Cyrillic alphabet backwards, maybe something like abc123. :pirate: :wave2:

Just kidding Alan!

I've noticed that as well and it's irked me a few times, so thanks for bringing it up. I've noticed from one wireless network in particular sometimes I get logged out-if I can put my damn phone away and come back to it an hour or two later. I always figured it was shoddy networking skills based on that location, since a woman with a recently purchased ipad2 was experiencing the same issues and she wasn't visiting WS, much to her loss.

At home it's PC only, but if I'm out and about I use my Blackberry fairly often. I agree with Alan that it's annoying to have to login again after moving from one hot spot to another, or from a hot spot to network, especially because it's kind of a pain in the ass to type in my information on a phone.

I'm not as active as I used to be now that I'm back in school, but I'm one of the Android user you're seeing. I like checking the boards on my bus rides.

My answer to both of these questions would be yes.

Now my answer is "I read it on occasion on my iPhone." . . . :-)

Edited by Maredudd

Interestingly, I have often trouble accessing WS at all via my mobile for some reason - I get a 403 - Forbidden error. But that seems more like trouble from my provider.

But, I already found mobile access handy for ad-hoc viewing of reviews in liquor shops :)

... I find it a pain that I need to log in again every time I am in a new location (which evidently comes with a new IP). ... Why does this have to happen? (Apart from the fact that it provides forum admin with details of all the countries and cities I visit, the IP addresses of every bar/coffee shop I log in from etc etc!).

This was a security feature that seemed a good idea at the time and I don't recall why. I'm pretty sure I can disable it.

The servers log IPs regardless. ;)

There are a number of ways I can make the site and forums more mobile friendly, but more info will help me make some decisions along the way. Thanks!

I don't use the forums or the site on my mobile, but I would (more than an actual computer) if there was a mobile site or an app.

I was thinking earlier that a mobile, stripped down version of the forum would be awesome. I've seen that with a couple forums but I don't think they used this software.

I mostly access the forums using my iPad, and occasionally I will check the reviews section using my Android phone to check the reviews of some new absinthe on the shelves I havent had before or heard of.

It seems that where I live we are starting to get a little more selections of absinthe (although still mediocre rated ones) but one day, I could see that app becoming a very useful tool, especially if you have scores of brands to choose from. Here I am green with envy to those people who do!

:cheers:

Although not as old as Absomphe, I too am not familiar with this mobile technology of which you speak. To tell you the truth, I don't even use a land line except for call out of work !

So I spend 30$ a month for what ?

So the people that desperately need you can reach you, of course. ;)

Well, that's the only reason I drop $30 a month on a phone.

(but i kinda hate the phone, damn thing only rings when someone wants something)

You didn't ask an important poll question though- "how WELL does it work, and does that impact your frequency?".

It sucks on BB, as many things do, so I seldom try.