Red RaveN

Anyone willing to live in middle Europe needs to be a little bit drunk.

Greetings Absintheers!

So I thought I'd drop in to say hello and introduce myself for a bit, since I just joined.. I'm not very good at this, so bear with me:) Also, I am usually more of a lurker, so you might not see me here very often.

I'm an IT/juggler guy from Slovakia, which is incidentally next to the Czech republic, which is incidentally where my first brands of Absinthe were from.. I however recognize the potential in Absinthe, I like the culture and the ritual. I'm more of a tea person than an alcoholic (although please don't hold me to this on weekends:) )and I do enjoy preparing a tasty drink to sip.

A question to you guys: Is the traditional method of Absinthe preparation really so little known, or is where I live just a cultural backwater? Everyone seems really surprised when I tell them about the whole cold water to louche thing, people even sometimes think I'm making it up. I tried burning some wannabe Absinthe, it was just about the worst thing ever. I'm not sure how anyone would want to drink any kind of alcohol like that, but, de gustus..

I do have one good Absinthe experience - holding my brand new Roquette bottle:) But being the newbie that I am, I will keep it in store for a time until I get enough experience to really appreciate it and the Absinthe matures.

So do ask if you want to know more, and meanwhile have a nice day!

Welcome, Red.

A question to you guys: Is the traditional method of Absinthe preparation really so little known, or is where I live just a cultural backwater?

Of course not (I'm answering the 2nd question)! There is at least one good absinthe bar in Bratislava, the Café Marrakesh. Although right now, the website seems to be down (hopefully that's not a bad omen). Martin Zufanek, from the Czech Republic, makes some very good absinthes (St. Antoine, La Grenouille etc) and he sells both those and a few Swiss/French absinthes in Bratislava and the Czech Rep.

Interestingly I am finding more and more Slovakians in the London bar trade. And they run some excellent bars (the American Bar at The Savoy and Nightjar, for example). I think they serve absinthe correctly there.

Welcome!

Lurking is fine. Many of us started off reading before posting. It's not a terrible way to go about it, actually. You're always welcome to post, however. We like our newcomers.

I'm sorry you started off with the Czech dreck, but it was the starting point many absintheurs on their road to discovery. Lucky for those who stayed though, because it only gets better. I personally started off with the German Tabu, but it was enough to get me into more and better absinthes.

I'm a tea person as well, and I like to nitpick flavors and tastes in my drinks. You'll find aficionados here of many things.

The method of preparation is very much dependent on location, in your case, but there are other factors as well. The traditional method is probably the most known, over the duration of the life of absinthe. The last decade or two has seen terrible things done to absinthe, mostly because of the Czechs and partly because of pop culture. For instance, if you're considering absinthe for the first time, but have only ever seen it in Moulin Rouge, From Hell or EuroTrip, then you're at a disadvantage in terms of information. That's the reason for organizations such as this.

As for your Roquette, I would suggest just opening it and enjoying it. There are more bottles where it came from. And no reason to deprive yourself of a quite good absinthe. When others suggest that it benefits from resting a while, it's true. But that doesn't mean it's not good straight away. Absinthe straight out of the alembic is also quite good. You've spent your hard earned money on it, so now it's time to enjoy.

:cheers:

Welcome! Don't be afraid of ALL Czech absinthe. Martin Žufánek distills some damned good stuff there,

including la Grenouille and L'Ancienne, two of Stefano Rossoni's creations.

You're at a very good spot for tea. The Czechs really should have stuck with their tea culture as their legacy...but I suppose hallucinogenic paint thinner makes a better story (aside, of course from Zufanek's absinthes.) :twitchsmile:

Glad you were able to find some of the good stuff. Hello and welcome! :cheers:

Welcome!

Seems like everyone else already gave you the lowdown on the Czech story. There is a bar in my town that always burns absinthe and thinks that burning is the only way. Specifically because a rich and influential customer brags about her absinthe experience abroad. Little does she know that she was suckered by a tourist trap.

Welcome, Red RaveN! :thumbup: :cheers: