Red RaveN

Any sense in storing Absinthe for a loooooong time?

Hello!

I am quite new to Absinthe, got greedy and suddenly a wild Roquette 1797 appeared in my possession! Since I understand that this is some quality liquid, I am thinking of storing it in my cellar and forgetting about it for a few years.

Would I gain anything by doing this? Does Absinthe improve over time like, say, wine does?

Most of us agree, properly stored absinthe is usually a wonderful thing. Put a few bottles back for your great-grand kids' college fund or as a grand excuse to repeatedly toast your memory.

You're off to a great start. Now, can I ask you to venture over to the Newcomers Introduction area and start a new thread so we can welcome you to the Wormwood Society? :cheers:

That is MOMO steering wheel to you. :)

Too bad the nice Italian steering wheel is attached to a loose nut, that has no clue on how to use it properly. :laugh:

from my experience, 1797 ages out very nicely after 2 years or more. The complexity remains but is considerably smoothed out. Well worth the wait. Now you have to get some Pacifique to tide you over in the meantime....

(Side note : some think that wine alcohol based absinthe ages better)

It's been my experience that some do, and some definitely don't.

In the cases of the ones that don't, the wine base seems to end up somewhat dominating the beast.

from my experience, 1797 ages out very nicely after 2 years or more. The complexity remains but is considerably smoothed out. Well worth the wait. Now you have to get some Pacifique to tide you over in the meantime....

Excellent, so off to the dungeon it is! Now only to explain to the dragon (grandma) why I am storing a bottle of expensive alcohol.. I'm not sure I can get any Pacifique around here, however St. Antoine is available nearby.. So I'll probably start there:)

Thanks for all the replies!

[...] Put a few bottles back for your great-grand kids' college fund [...]

You expect "them" to ban absinthe all over again?

If that happens I'll probably go :dead: .

;)

(Side note : some think that wine alcohol based absinthe ages better)

It's been my experience that some do, and some definitely don't.

Hi Absomphe,

I would be interested to hear if you wouldn't mind elaborating on your experience with this a bit - what Absinthe did not age well for you, how many years did you keep it, etc. Thanks!

Hi Absomphe,

I would be interested to hear if you wouldn't mind elaborating on your experience with this a bit - what Absinthe did not age well for you, how many years did you keep it, etc. Thanks!

I'm not in the habit of storing absinthe or beer for very long, but my experiences in that regard with Belle Amie, Montmartre, and the Jade Edouard and Verte Suisse Distiller's Proofs were less than stellar. As to the details of why, it's been too long to remember.

Considering the expense of just getting high quality absinthe to Norway... it goes both ways... It is a wise thing to save them, but its also the want to taste it after the wait and expense...

Is it best to actually let some air into the bottle before storing?