• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

Disappointing. I had hoped there would be a market for quality between the stamped metal spoons and the silver work by Kirk.

As an absintheur who uses a spoon and sweetener with almost every glass, I can tell you that I am in that market, as small as it probably is. I suppose $30 would just about be my limit on a modern spoon, considering that authentic preban spoons can be had for that much, and it would have to be an exceptional design and quality. The Obsello spoon is a beautiful piece, but so far I haven't been able to justify spending $45 on it.

#32 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

Blue Star, Look at the one Clement put up on the spoon thread. An intriguing design for sure.

#33 Obsello

Obsello

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

Several crafters have done such ventures, but I didn't hear many huge success stories about it. Obsello had a pretty cool laser cut spoons, but I don't think that even those were wildly successful.

Its all in how you define wildly successful. We sold more than 10 a year!!!

They were great fun to design though - if not brilliant business. ;)
-Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative -Oscar Wilde
www.lostspirits.net
www.obsello.com

#34 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:25 PM

Yeah... that dude Michelangelo only sold one painting from 1508 to 1512, and some people still consider him to be important. I get it. Later, I understand, he invented the textured ceiling just so he wouldn't have to go through that again. :dry:
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#35 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

I have one. It's a very nice design. I'm not sure I'd get it through airport security on a carry-on however!

#36 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

If I can get a Baubel fountain through TSA scrutiny.......you should be able to manage a spoon.

I almost had an accident today and it lead to a damaged bottle of vintage booze. Flying is pretty safe in that regard.<shrug>

My pickup smells pleasant though. *smile*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#37 Obsello

Obsello

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:15 PM

Yeah... that dude Michelangelo only sold one painting from 1508 to 1512, and some people still consider him to be important. I get it. Later, I understand, he invented the textured ceiling just so he wouldn't have to go through that again. :dry:

Maybe I can invent the lumpy absinthe spoon so I dont have to pay for laser cutting anymore !!!!
:twitchsmile:

Maybe not...
www.lostspirits.net
www.obsello.com

#38 Obsello

Obsello

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

I have one. It's a very nice design. I'm not sure I'd get it through airport security on a carry-on however!

I actually forgot I had one in my bag and got through TSA with them for several months before anyone actually looked at the stupid screen and asked about it. Then they took it :thumbdown:
www.lostspirits.net
www.obsello.com

#39 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Suckage. Those sure are purdy. But a security threat?

#40 Blue Star

Blue Star

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:54 AM

Thanks all! Looks like the glass would be a more likely success (since it can be started out in very limited runs), provided it offers something distinctive from the excellent Simon Pearce offering. The spoon looks to be more of a challenge (in part because it requires a minimum run of a 100 or more). On the other hand, I would likely pay more for an artisan-designed pewter spoon than I would for a laser cut steel spoon. But that's just me.

Imbibing and distilling!

http://quincystreetdistillery.com

#41 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:22 PM

Then they took it :thumbdown:

Sorry about that, but I reeeally wanted one and didn't have the cash to spare. :devil:

In 10 days, I'm taking my first trip by air since they implemented those invasive x-ray machines. I thought about voicing my distaste for them by wearing a Borat-style man-hammock bikini, but it's just too damn cold for that kind of protest. :twitchsmile:

#42 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:32 AM

Don't worry Jay, they only use that machine on creative intellectual absinthe drinking types from the northwest.

#43 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:09 AM

Scott, I only hit 3 out of 4 of those on a good day, so maybe I'll be safe as long as I don't have an ouraline glass in my pocket.

Oh, and hey Blue Star, don't forget to drop a line here if/when your glass and/or spoon debut. I'd love to see what you come up with.

#44 Blue Star

Blue Star

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:57 AM

Oh, and hey Blue Star, don't forget to drop a line here if/when your glass and/or spoon debut. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Will do, of course! But hopefully our absinthe will arrive first... :)

Imbibing and distilling!

http://quincystreetdistillery.com

#45 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:08 PM

You're speaking my language now, brother. I WILL lay down some cash for a tasty absinthe!

Best of luck to you in your venture :cheers:

#46 Obsello

Obsello

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

Anyone making spoons at home? I was a sculptor before I started distilling - reading this thread makes me want to enroll in a jewelry class.
www.lostspirits.net
www.obsello.com

#47 Obsello

Obsello

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

Thanks all! Looks like the glass would be a more likely success (since it can be started out in very limited runs), provided it offers something distinctive from the excellent Simon Pearce offering. The spoon looks to be more of a challenge (in part because it requires a minimum run of a 100 or more). On the other hand, I would likely pay more for an artisan-designed pewter spoon than I would for a laser cut steel spoon. But that's just me.

Your not masking any friends here :angry:

NOTE: By here I mean me - cannot speak for others.

Edited by Obsello, 22 November 2011 - 07:21 PM.

www.lostspirits.net
www.obsello.com

#48 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,714 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

Anyone making spoons at home? I was a sculptor before I started distilling - reading this thread makes me want to enroll in a jewelry class.

If money and time were no object, I'd seriously look into using Precious Metal clay to make some spoons. Water, organic binder and fine metal particles, the water and binder burn out when it's fired and you're left with 99% pure gold, silver, bronze or copper. I've heard about steel clay as well but haven't bothered looking for any that's for sale. I took a class on making earrings with this stuff before and it was fun, but I'm too damned busy dicking around with other things.

Edited by baubel, 22 November 2011 - 07:25 PM.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#49 Obsello

Obsello

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

If money and time were no object, I'd seriously look into using Precious Metal clay to make some spoons. Water, organic binder and fine metal particles, the water and binder burn out when it's fired and you're left with 99% pure gold, silver, bronze or copper. I've heard about steel clay as well but haven't bothered looking for any that's for sale. I took a class on making earrings with this stuff before and it was fun, but I'm too damned busy dicking around with other things.

wow if I didnt have a distillery to run I would be all over that!!!
www.lostspirits.net
www.obsello.com

#50 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,714 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

When I found out about it I was pretty interested, but that was right before the price of silver jumped. It seemed easier to fire than the copper and bronze, which need to be fired in a special container with charcoal or something that will burn to prevent the metal from oxidizing. I find it all pretty interesting and if I had the time I'd be all over it as well.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#51 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:55 AM

If I were to buy a spoon today, I would want stainless steel over some maintenance heavy metal. As long as it is practical, and looks nice, I don't care how it was made. I'm just practical minded that way.

Kirk's work I would frame, if I could afford it. Exept for that amazing cane, that is freaking awesome.

#52 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,547 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:29 AM

Yeah, and I'd be just decadent (and decayed) enough to use it. :wheelchair: :euro:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#53 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:24 AM

There's always Cassius Clay as well...

#54 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:41 AM

Drips like a butterfly and louches like a bee?

#55 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,547 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:53 AM

It's so pretty!

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#56 Steve Fish

Steve Fish

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

Even though this thread is a little aged, since it referenced the Simon Pearce absinthe glasses, I decided to post here. I just purchased three of these glasses (Bubble, Pontarlier, and St. Jacques) and look forward to them arriving soon. One I could not locate for sale was the Double Bubble glass. I'm not sure I'd use it often, but I'd like to see if anyone knows where I might find one of these beautiful glasses these days.

Thanks,

- Steve

#57 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:40 PM

Do you mind if I asked where you purchased your glasses, Steve? The last time I looked for the Simon Pearce ones (St Jacques, specifically, about two months or so ago), I didn't see them anywhere, but did find a vendor which was selling a St Jacques glass. It seems that their glasses were modeled after the Simon Pearce repro of the antique "St Jacques" glass which inspired it, but that they weren't actually made by Simon Pearce.

#58 Steve Fish

Steve Fish

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

Well, I couldn't hold out and picked up the other three SP absinthe glasses. Now I'm poor, but I can't wait to receive the boxes and get rid of my second-rate stemware! :yahoo:

No problem, Jay. I got them all from LoveOfFrance.com. Here's a link to the St Jacques Glass. I think I may have picked up the last Bubble glass (at least for now). They still have it (hidden) on the site, but it's not listed on the main search for premium absinthe glasses and the page says they'll resume shipping on Jan 4th (maybe they meant June 4th?).

Of the six absinthe glasses SP made, here are links to the two that are hidden on the Love of France site:

Double Bubble Absinthe Glass

Bubble Absinthe Glass

They may write back to me and say they can't ship the Double Bubble glass, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

- Steve

(edit: removed link to double bubble glass since its definitely sold out)

Edited by Steve Fish, 01 June 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#59 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

Thanks, Steve! :cheers:

That's definitely not the vendor I saw some time ago, so I appreciate the link.

#60 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

Loveoffrance.com is Cary-René's new shop, if I recall. I tried ordering some fountains from him. It didn't work after a game of email tag. I went with another vendor.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association