• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

. One complaint would be that the louche isn't that impressive..... In hindsight, it would have been better to let them try an absinthe with a nice, slow louche.

Star anise. It will make for a very quick and thick louche. One of Hartsmar's criticisms is that they use too much; and that it hides some of Valkaria's finer complexities.

I have too felt that absinthe can feel different compared to other spirits while being digested, but I haven't found that feeling unpleasant

Absinthe is an apéritif It will get those digestive juices going. I can't drink it, or anything else actually, on a totally empty stomach.

I've also noted that absinthe in general seem to taste better as you get closer to the bottom of the bottle. ..... Am I just imagining this or are there any reasons I experience the improvement?

Many have noticed this and commented on it. Definitely not your imagination. As to why that is so, that is something still under investigation, perhaps due to oxidation or the more volatile elements evaporating.

#62 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

Bottle gremlins. :g:
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#63 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

Just saving the best for last? <shrug>
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#64 Nemo

Nemo

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

Don't put it off for too long! ;)

I will try not to!

What she said! They have made the process easy, with all kinds of instructions, and advice.

I do not doubt this, I just want to be able to place both the brands and the different aromas and flavors into a context I feel confident talking about. Maybe I just have a different perspective on reviews because I mostly read and study reviews of literature, and maybe this perspective is not applicable on reviews of drinks and foods etc, but when you review books knowledge is really important. For example: when you compare a work of one author to that of another you place that author into a literary tradition and shape the view of that author in the eyes of the contemporary and future literary world. Even though your influence may be small it is still there. Reviews are very important, especially when written by someone who is considered an authority on literature.

Now, absinthe is still a spirit shrouded in mystery to most people. There are not that many brands of absinthe as compared to other spirits. There are not that many bottles of absinthe in the world either. Not many people really know what it is. There are very few authorities on absinthe. I'm not sure if I am right, but The Wormwood Society and La Fee Verte seem to be the two largest "publications" on absinthe there is. What this means is that each review of a brand of absinthe will be much more important than a review normally would be in a more popular field. So you do want to know what you talk about when you contribute, however small your influence might be.

Star anise. It will make for a very quick and thick louche. One of Hartsmar's criticisms is that they use too much; and that it hides some of Valkaria's finer complexities.

Ah, I think I've read about star anise having that effect on louching somewhere. I am not able to discern between different flavors yet, though.

Absinthe is an apéritif It will get those digestive juices going. I can't drink it, or anything else actually, on a totally empty stomach.

Many have noticed this and commented on it. Definitely not your imagination. As to why that is so, that is something still under investigation, perhaps due to oxidation or the more volatile elements evaporating.

Thanks for clearing these things up! :)

#65 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

Star anise tends a bit more jelly bean-like, very black licorice.

Wormwood is that awesome flavor you might detect. :laugh:

Website | Blog | Twitter

#66 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,307 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

I've had a few glasses of this. For me, its star anise is masking some of the elements slightly.
It is a quality absinthe however, with a lot of potential. Many might enjoy it. If they tweak it a bit to pull the star anise down, it could be really great. Hopefully as this is so new, they will hear the feedback and modify the recipe!

#67 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

I was really pleased with this one. It's clear they've tried a number of good absinthes from a few other producers (instead of ignoring the competition as it seems like some new producers do). It's pretty close to excellent.

Website | Blog | Twitter

#68 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Added a brand new review and brand, let's see if that "add new listing" button works.

Needs to be verified...

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#69 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

Valkyria Absinthe is now available:

http://www.absinthes...products_id=878

#70 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

Awesome! It deserves a wider market. :thumbup:

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#71 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

Page and review added.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#72 SethP

SethP

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

I was really pleased with this one. It's clear they've tried a number of good absinthes from a few other producers (instead of ignoring the competition as it seems like some new producers do). [...]

The producers has now stated that this is the case in a podcast from and with the two guys (Göran Bäuerle and Henrik Larsson). They mentioned at least Duplais.

The podcast is only in swedish though. But shortly they also talked about how they started their company, purchasing a former church/chapel, rebuilding it to a working (and legal) destillery, dealing with bureaucracy, their own concept behind the brand Valkyria Absinthe and some of the (positive) response.

Top five brands so far:
Jade (PF) 1901 - this is a winner but also quite an expensive brand (It can be well diluted though) | Grön Opal - Swedens most excellent and newest absinthe | Libertine 72 - for the low price and because it can also be diluted really wellDuplais Balance - very tasty indeed and for quite some time my favourite | Mansinthe - which I find a little bit more "spicy" than others, but with no downsides

#73 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

The :headbang: version.

From the Swedish metal band Wolf FB:

WOLF celebrating 40-years and their official Absinthe!!

Be prepared for a special moment when WOLF celebrate when founding
member Niklas Stålvind final becomes an adult! 40 year in the service of
METAL!!!!

This special day we also release our official
Absinthe made by the amazing guy´s at Sankta Annas Distillery who just
won the Masters Awards at The Spirits Business competition The Absinthe
Masters for both their products "Valkyria Absinthe and "Midvinterblot
2012".
Now it´s time for the WOLF Absinthe to conquer the world!

So joint us on June 1st in Örebro, Sweden where WOLF first were formed for a very special evening!!

http://www.facebook....wolf?group_id=0

http://nikija.se/site/archives/512

#74 SethP

SethP

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

I suppose this new absinthe from Sankta Annas Distillery could be the one that has been stored in oak barrel(s). They wrote about that on their Facebook page (in Swedish) on February 11.

Experiences, anyone, from absinthe stored in oak, or any other (wooden), barrels?

Edited by SethP, 20 March 2013 - 04:38 PM.

Top five brands so far:
Jade (PF) 1901 - this is a winner but also quite an expensive brand (It can be well diluted though) | Grön Opal - Swedens most excellent and newest absinthe | Libertine 72 - for the low price and because it can also be diluted really wellDuplais Balance - very tasty indeed and for quite some time my favourite | Mansinthe - which I find a little bit more "spicy" than others, but with no downsides

#75 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

There are some barrel aged experiments out there. It's costly as it usually takes a while for a spirit to change enough.

Some producers try to quickly barrel age using smaller barrels but that doesn't seem to work out, for any spirit really.

I was pleased enough with Valkyria to be curious about the barrel aged one. Haven't tried it though.

Then there's Barrique. I might let people know how it is... maybe. :devil:

Edited by Evan Camomile, 20 March 2013 - 05:27 PM.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#76 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

New thread for each absinthe from this distillery.

Midvinterblot

WOLF

Having enjoyed Valkyria, I'm definitely interested in these other two.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#77 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,307 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

OK, For what it's worth, I got another bottle of Valkyria, this being the most recent batch.  I wasn't too impressed, as it was decent, but not as good as I'd expected.  The star anise was a bit too strong still, but there was also a smoky edge that put me off a bit.  I tried it again about a week after opening, and felt the same way.  Well, it's over a month later, and it's changed dramatically.  The green anise is more present in the aroma and flavor, and the smokiness is gone.  I actually am liking it quite a bit.  Now, if they'd only dial down the star anise, they'd REALLY have something.

#78 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,666 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

Something like a more pricey absinthe, perhaps? :laugh:  ;) 

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association