• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

I'm so happy...this is pretty cool. Chad Hurd (the lead character designer for the animated series
series Archer on the FX network) drew this up for me. I love it. For those of you who don't know the show, it's an over-the-top secret agent series for adults... it's brilliant, and so wrong, on so many levels. Archer's Mom, the head of the agency, likes absinthe. The fairy is a tiny green version of the show's dumb as a stump and ever-disgusting office worker Amber. The complete opposite of what a green fairy should be...too funny. I sent Chad some samples of the good stuff a couple weeks ago, which were enjoyed by friends at the studio from what I'm told.

Here's Archer's website for fun, if you're interested:

Archer

Posted Image

#2 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

That's awesome! I nearly puke all over myself with laughter every time I watch it.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#3 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:50 AM

The fairy looks a lot like Pam .... ?
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#4 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,029 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:54 AM

:thumbup:
"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#5 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,304 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:09 AM

Yikes! I meant Pam. Amber is the actress who plays her!

#6 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,794 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

Being the founder of the Lock Haven Legends rugby club, I thought I'd ask if Chad could personalize mine for me. This is what he came up with.

Attached File  409364_10150457733944001_704719000_8749000_1370849804_n.jpg   71.51KB   24 downloads

Then, since I know Doyle is a huge fan of Archer and is also a past National Champion in Karate, Chad put this one together for him. Love them!

Attached File  2011_12_21_16_39_05_32___Copy.jpg   73.27KB   19 downloads
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#7 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,304 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

Cool Brian! I'm glad it worked out! Chad did both of ours in storyboard-art style, which is the real thing,
in the hand of the designer. This is the same manner in which he does the production sketches for the show.

#8 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,716 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

Storyboard style or not, Brian's look pretty real to me. And pretty prettay sweet.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#9 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,304 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

This kind of hand-drawn art, by the designer himself, is so much better than the glossy, produced "animation art" that is so common. I was a producer/director/animation artist for 12 years in New York, and we used to laugh when all the animation cels would be put on the market; the vast majority were not even real production art, and the few that were, were often touched-up and repainted to be more marketable.

This is what I mean about "real," as these are made by the artist himself, in a genuine, liberated, and whimsical way. The old-time Disney, Fleischer Bros, and Walter Lantz studio animators I knew would draw up funny scenarios as quick give-aways to folks, in a rough sketchy way from time to time. I always felt this was the best and most genuine stuff. Nearly all these guys have passed now, and young guys like Chad are carrying the torch.

Cool touch getting yourself in the picture Brian! Is Doyle your brother?

#10 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,794 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:35 AM

Nope, just a friend and rugby buddy from college. But we get that a lot.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#11 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:53 AM

... I was a producer/director/animation artist for 12 years in New York... The old-time Disney, Fleischer Bros, and Walter Lantz studio animators I knew ...

:worshippy: :worshippy: :thumbup:
I've always been a fan of animation, and with my kids I get more of it. I don't know xit about it, but I love the animation in Dumbo & Les Aristochats (we keep watching the French version on the DVD). I thought Destino was a pretty neat 'collaboration' between old and new artists, considering the 58 years between begining to release.

#12 billnchristy

billnchristy

• Bronze Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

Archer is one of the few good things to come out of Atlanta.

#13 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:22 AM

Love the show, unfortunately Kathy doesn't feel the same way, but the verbal interaction if we watch it together is humorous in itself.

#14 billnchristy

billnchristy

• Bronze Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

Anyone watch last night?

Pam had a thermos full of "green russian" which she said was absinthe and milk (sounds ill) but I thought it was cool that they threw some in there.

:cheers:

Great episode last night too. Christy and I laughed heartily at "pushin' rope"

#15 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

Season 2 has at least 3 or 4 different absinthe appearances. I haven't seen season 3 yet.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#16 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

Anyone watch last night?
Pam had a thermos full of "green russian" which she said was absinthe and milk (sounds ill) but I thought it was cool that they threw some in there.

Yep, wondered who else caught the Green Russian thing. Now I love a Black Russian every now and then, but once I get started it's hard to stop. But the Green Russian doesn't sound too appealing, nor does the whiskey and milk I recall a friend of my fathers drinking way back when. Seems he had stomach problems and that was the only way he could drink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association