NicholasPrince

Stupidity In America On Absinthe

... and costumers might disagree with him to what degree he has succeeded.
Probably depends on whether they're dressed in appropriate period clothing or not. ;)

And I knew someone would catch that. ;)

FPB, it was Ted himself who suggested to me that I age them for a year or so to enjoy them the most. I had a bottle of 1901 almost 2 years ago that was given to me, and I was told it was at least a year or two old at that point. I suppose that would put it around 2008 or so, but I'm not sure, and don't the history of the Jades regarding when they first hit the market. This bottle was really great.

I bought another bottle earlier this year, and tried it right away, finding it not quite as good as the first. It was a bit sharper and earthier, and it was the first time I understood what some were describing as a funky character. Brian suggested breaking it down into smaller bottles and experimenting with letting it age, which I did. After about 6 months, it softened, and rounded out quite a bit. Since then, it's improved even more. The VS I have is over 18 months old and is delicious. None have been aged a long time, I admit, but the short time I've given them has made a big difference.

The Blanchette I'm enjoying is about 2 years old, and I'm on my 2nd bottle.

... After about 6 months, it softened, and rounded out quite a bit. Since then, it's improved even more. The VS I have is over 18 months old and is delicious. None have been aged a long time, I admit, but the short time I've given them has made a big difference.

The Blanchette I'm enjoying is about 2 years old, and I'm on my 2nd bottle.

Thanx. I don't know when the Jades first hit either, but I imagine a little surf through the threads would reveal that. It certainly had to be news.

I was just wondering about age since I have a number of Jades from late 07 and early 08 lying around. I have a way to go on the open bottles I have (except for the 1901), and hope to keep my hands off the next bottles to get opened for a couple more years. I think my open bottles have improved significantly, as well. Although, the most marked improvement, with most beverages, seems to happen in the earlier going.

Good advice Scott. I'm thinking of hiding my NO after Christmas until the summer.

I know I half emptied my Sauvage the day I got it, and hid the bottle in my closet. I brought it back into service, and it's better than ever. And this is hooch that pretended to be whisky for a bit (sat in a barrel).

Ridge, MoL, & Pacifique don't hang around for long, but the butts are the best.

I don't know when the Jades first hit either, but I imagine a little surf through the threads would reveal that. It certainly had to be news.
Using our handy search engine feature, you will find that Jade and Breaux both begin to surface on WS in late 2004. Mr. Breaux joined WS in January, '05. I have heard there are or were other absinthe forums around before The Wormwood Society and it may be possible to access their archives for more information.

He's in the oldest archives at other places. I think 2005 was the first commercial bottling.

eddy.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

FPB, it was Ted himself who suggested to me that I age them for a year or so to enjoy them the most.

I bought another bottle earlier this year, and tried it right away, finding it not quite as good as the first. It was a bit sharper and earthier, and it was the first time I understood what some were describing as a funky character. Brian suggested breaking it down into smaller bottles and experimenting with letting it age, which I did. After about 6 months, it softened, and rounded out quite a bit. Since then, it's improved even more. The VS I have is over 18 months old and is delicious. None have been aged a long time, I admit, but the short time I've given them has made a big difference.

Is it best to let it age unopened, or opened?

I have a bottle of Jade NO which I've been dying to try. :dribble:

I've been planning on opening it for fast approaching Christmas and New Year celebrations. Perhaps a good compromise is to drink a few glasses over the holidays, and then put it away for awhile?

This is the most expensive bottle of alcohol I've ever purchased, so I want to get the most enjoyment out of it, but I'm not sure if I can hold out for a full year or two! I'm sure I'll want to have at least a couple of glasses next National Absinthe Day, also.

According to my reading of Ted's intentions, all the Jades are clones of vintage products.

I have read that three of the Jades are reverse-engineered from pre-ban absinthes, but that the Jade NO is Ted's personal recipe. While it is inspired by pre-ban absinthe, it is "part Ted Breaux, part New Orleans, and part vintage absinthe", and therefore not intended to be a clone.

Aging does benefit from oxygen. I've had two glasses from my NO, and plan to let it sit in the dark until next summer. Maybe a glass or two for fat Tuesday. :)

Edit to correct autocorrect.

Edited by Miguel

Aging does benefit from oxygen

Yup, it sure does.

<------- he's been exposed to oxygen for a few years. I like to think he's aging fairly well. *smiley wink*

Still looks like he's kinda stuck in the 70s, though.

Not that I mean that like it's a bad thing...or that I'm trying to goad you into making post 10,000, Bill. :laugh: :mbanana: :devil:

Edited by Absomphe

I'm trying to goad you into making posts 10,000 BC. :laugh: :mbanana: :devil:

I thought that was YOUR era to post Abs!

Absolutely, and everyone really got sick and tired of my incessant celebratory posts regarding my first Social Security check cuneiform tablet. :wheelchair: :wheelchair: :wheelchair: :wheelchair: :wheelchair: :wheelchair:

Edited by Absomphe

I don't know when the Jades first hit either, but I imagine a little surf through the threads would reveal that. It certainly had to be news.
Using our handy search engine feature, you will find that Jade and Breaux both begin to surface on WS in late 2004. Mr. Breaux joined WS in January, '05. I have heard there are or were other absinthe forums around before The Wormwood Society and it may be possible to access their archives for more information.

There was more discussion of this topic at Fee Verte than probably anybody can grasp, especially without perspective, but here is a short version based upon my own perspective:

The creation of any legitimate absinthe in the old days (before 2005, by maybe five years or more) was news.

The original "Jade" absinthes cannot be compared to anything being produced today, by Ted or anybody else. It's a waste of time for reasons I don't care to belabor.

The "original" Jades (if you mean what was produced in Thailand and no doubt elsewhere) were not as far as I know intended to be "clones" of anything, but rather Ted's homages to products that were no doubt poorly understood at the time, by Ted and by everybody else. For example, the "Orleans" was an homage to Herbsaint. Ted may or may not have made remarks that led people to believe they were copies of vintage absinthes, but I believe that for the most part those remarks were taken out of context.

There is no moral to this story other than drink what you like and enjoy what you can get; I believe Joe said something similar earlier in this thread, and he's right.

I've been thinking about this and I have formed an opinion.

Everyone that has tried pre-ban talks of its exquisite character but we are all missing something. You are drinking a 100+ year old spirit. You have no clue what it tasted like in 1901 when it was bottled.

I'm not saying it went from Grande Absente to Jade NO in that time period, there is no doubt the stuff was good. Take an 8yo Macallan vs. a 25yo Macallan and you will know immediately. It HAS to be the same for absinthe, especially when we are talking about a very intimate mix of herbs.

We only know what a 1901 tastes like in (Insert year here). We only know what a modern absinthe tastes like right now. People in 2112 are going to be raving about a bottle of MoL that was dug up.

Know what I mean?

. You have no clue what it tasted like in 1901 when it was bottled.

Well, I'd disagree that we have no clue. Many experiments have been made using historic recipes. There are many other points to be made about this, but there's another thread that's discussing exactly that right now.

I'd link it, but it's too much of a pain in the ass to do so with this infernal thing. Maybe when I get back to the computer.

You ought to see me now though after a dozen or so glasses over the past few weeks. Done wonders to my complexion. Even got that cat off my head. :tongue: