87 replies to this topic

#1 NicholasPrince

NicholasPrince

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:23 PM

I'm not sure if anyone has talked about this yet. http://absinthe.msjekyll.com/usa.shtml

Where do all these idiots come from?

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:30 PM

Yes, we tried very early on to discuss the realities of absinthe with them, but some people are just so steadfast in their desire to have absinthe be some mythical drug that turns everyone into the next Van Gogh.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:23 PM

some people are just total louche bags.
Absinthe Veritas, Distiller Probitas. These are the things we fight for.

#4 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,724 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:51 PM

:poop:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#5 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:26 AM

ahhhh That is one of the first articles I read about absinthe... which is why I was so intent on getting absinthe from Europe. Then, thankfully, I educated myself through the WS web site.

I'm going to a dinner party tonight and I'm bringing a bottle of absinthe (probably Walton Walters) to share and educate.
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#6 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

Didn't want to but I had to scream at them. I'm sure some admin on the site invested in fauxsinthe will delete my post soon enough.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#7 ignis

ignis

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:44 AM

nice job. :thumbup:

See if its still there in two days.
"I just want silence. Jesus, it doesn't mean I don't like you. It just means right now, I like silence more."

#8 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

Nice Job Tatan. Idiots like these are a real headache for good distillers.

#9 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:35 PM

Very well said, Tatan. :thumbup:
"The decline of the aperitif may well be one of the most depressing phenomena of our time." -- Luis Bunuel

#10 NicholasPrince

NicholasPrince

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:49 PM

Wait........Take the label off a Listerine bottle and put a((absinthe 90% thujone)), Think of the profits! Kind of reminds me of the elixir business.

#11 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:29 AM

Wait........Take the label off a Listerine Absorbine Jr.bottle and put a((absinthe 90% thujone)), Think of the profits! Kind of reminds me of the elixir business.

Fixed. B)

INGREDIENTS:The active ingredient in Absorbine Jr.® liniment is 1.27% natural menthol. Other ingredients include calendula extract, echinacea extract, absinthium oil, acetone, chloroxylenol, iodine, wormwood extract, potassium iodide, thymol, water and coloring agents FD&C blue number 1 and yellow number 6.

#12 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:33 AM

I have a bottle of Hai Karate cologne(?) that looks more naturally colored than some of the absinths on the market. It's still in the box.

Would you like to have it Joe?
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#13 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,668 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:39 AM

I have a bottle of Hai Karate cologne(?) that probably tastes better than some of the absinths on the market.

Fixed in the name of brutal honesty. :laugh:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#14 NicholasPrince

NicholasPrince

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

Wait........Take the label off a Listerine Absorbine Jr.bottle and put a((absinthe 90% thujone)), Think of the profits! Kind of reminds me of the elixir business.

Fixed. B)

INGREDIENTS:The active ingredient in Absorbine Jr.® liniment is 1.27% natural menthol. Other ingredients include calendula extract, echinacea extract, absinthium oil, acetone, chloroxylenol, iodine, wormwood extract, potassium iodide, thymol, water and coloring agents FD&C blue number 1 and yellow number 6.

:laf: Even better!

#15 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

Notice at the very bottom of the page MsJekYll (more like MsJOKEll) shills for Maktub absinthe at the bargain price of $165/bottle. Click on the link for that and learn that it's created from an original 1920's recipe...What total :poop:

Edited by sardonix, 26 October 2011 - 05:05 PM.

I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#16 NicholasPrince

NicholasPrince

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

Notice at the very bottom of the page MsJekYll (more like MsJOKEll) shills for Maktub absinthe at the bargain price of $165/bottle. Click on the link for that and learn that it's created from an original 1920's recipe...What total :poop:

Probably sells really well with the college kids trying to get high, arrogance in a bottle.

#17 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,307 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

What the Hell. I added my 2-cents worth too. In a year or so when I'm tired and jaded, a newbie will carry the torch.

#18 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:34 AM

Everything about 'Ms JOKEll' is nothing but shill for Maktub and Century.

Now try to find out what names are behind Maktub and Century. You have to do a lot of digging to find anything, and it points all kind of different directions.

Does Maketub and Century have something to hide? I don't blame them, If I made, imported or marketed that crap, I would be ashamed too. Can you see a face behind those brands? Hell no. Hide like roaches, they seem to do.

One way to spot a GOOD absinthe is that the people who are behind it put their name on it, loud and proud! I can see a face behind Ridge, Pacifique, Marteau, Leopold, Jade, and many other domestic and import quality brands. That face says 'this is my craft, my product, enjoy!'

#19 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:59 PM

In a year or so when I'm tired and jaded, a newbie will carry the torch.

Sorry you carry the weight of the absinthe world on your shoulders there, Atlas.

Honestly, there's really no reason to post arguments on that site. 1) because we did that about 4 years ago, and then we all realized the shill factor, which will always negate our argument, 2) because going over there only serves to give them more attention.

Let them fade into oblivion. They were well on their way already.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#20 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,307 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

That was a joke Brian.

#21 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

(Crapsinthe. When it's all you got it's what you will drink.) this should be their new slogan.

#22 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

Hedonistic, wise-ass brat.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

If all there is to be had is crapsinthe, I'm not drinking.

I pledge allegiance to Queen Fragg and her mighty state of Hysteria...     -Calvin

"Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone."    -Hobbes

#23 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:46 PM

but the general populous does. When they don't know anybetter they love this stuff because all they want is to like "absinthe". It is sad really.

Edited by m.a.mccullough, 27 October 2011 - 02:46 PM.

#24 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,668 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

If all there is to be had is crapsinthe, I'm not drinking.

:cheers: to my favorite twin separated at birth! :heart:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#25 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

Hedonistic, wise-ass brat.

• 2,716 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:22 PM

:heart: Indeed!
:cheers:

I pledge allegiance to Queen Fragg and her mighty state of Hysteria...     -Calvin

"Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone."    -Hobbes

#26 sandpedlar

sandpedlar

Big legs, cold hands.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

It's most likely just me, but really I think the preference for the use of words like "dose" and "on absinthe" only contribute to the stupid-ass attitude of absinthe as something you should get fucked up (beyond drunk) on. I never say, "I was on some scotch the other day when I started fingering this dude behind the 7-11 dumpster," and I bet you don't either. Is there an equivalent of the use of the words "dose" and "on" that are normally used for other foods or beverages, i.e. "I was drunk on beer the other day.." or "I took 14.5 doses of beer the other night.."? I mean, I understand the archaic and medicinal use of the term "dose." But, in the English, we say "on" to have a negative or mystical connotation when talking about food or beverage, e.g. "on crack", "on heroin," "on SHROOMS?!"

I'm not trying to be an asshole, and if it seems like I am, I assure you it comes naturally, and I am curious--how many of you (and why) do you say "dose" and "on" when it comes to absinthe? How else do we use these terms in non-medicinal/shamanistic ways? Is it necessary that they be non-medicinal or non-shamanistic, I mean do you drink absinthe in a spiritual (out of the ordinary sense) way?

Edited by sandpedlar, 27 October 2011 - 07:20 PM.

#27 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

I dunno, I was about to go do some garlic...maybe even while on some bread. Maybe trip some meatballs.

:laugh: I get what you're saying, and I agree. That said, I've had friends get mad when I use the phrase "on weed," because it's natural, man. (I think the phrasing is still appropriate in this situation as well.)
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#28 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

I've heard "only while on tequila" and "I do stupid shit on rum" so the on phrase doesn't irk me quite a bit.

Dose does bothers me.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#29 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

It's most likely just me, but really I think the preference for the use of words like "dose" and "on absinthe" only contribute to the stupid-ass attitude of absinthe as something you should get fucked up (beyond drunk).

... how many of you (and why) do you say "dose" and "on" when it comes to absinthe?

I say "dose". I believe it originates from the early days, and medicinal use. I have never used the term "on" to refer to when I am imbibing absinthe, or any other alcohol beverage for that matter.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#30 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:14 PM

What FPB said. The 1oz, was the recommended doze of medicine. For stomach symptoms, for which I find it does work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association