NicholasPrince

Stupidity In America On Absinthe

Yes, we tried very early on to discuss the realities of absinthe with them, but some people are just so steadfast in their desire to have absinthe be some mythical drug that turns everyone into the next Van Gogh.

ahhhh That is one of the first articles I read about absinthe... which is why I was so intent on getting absinthe from Europe. Then, thankfully, I educated myself through the WS web site.

I'm going to a dinner party tonight and I'm bringing a bottle of absinthe (probably Walton Walters) to share and educate.

Wait........Take the label off a Listerine Absorbine Jr.bottle and put a((absinthe 90% thujone)), Think of the profits! Kind of reminds me of the elixir business.

Fixed. B)

INGREDIENTS:The active ingredient in Absorbine Jr.® liniment is 1.27% natural menthol. Other ingredients include calendula extract, echinacea extract, absinthium oil, acetone, chloroxylenol, iodine, wormwood extract, potassium iodide, thymol, water and coloring agents FD&C blue number 1 and yellow number 6.

I have a bottle of Hai Karate cologne(?) that looks more naturally colored than some of the absinths on the market. It's still in the box.

Would you like to have it Joe?

I have a bottle of Hai Karate cologne(?) that probably tastes better than some of the absinths on the market.

Fixed in the name of brutal honesty. :laugh:

Wait........Take the label off a Listerine Absorbine Jr.bottle and put a((absinthe 90% thujone)), Think of the profits! Kind of reminds me of the elixir business.

Fixed. B)

INGREDIENTS:The active ingredient in Absorbine Jr.® liniment is 1.27% natural menthol. Other ingredients include calendula extract, echinacea extract, absinthium oil, acetone, chloroxylenol, iodine, wormwood extract, potassium iodide, thymol, water and coloring agents FD&C blue number 1 and yellow number 6.

:laf: Even better!

Notice at the very bottom of the page MsJekYll (more like MsJOKEll) shills for Maktub absinthe at the bargain price of $165/bottle. Click on the link for that and learn that it's created from an original 1920's recipe...What total :poop:

Edited by sardonix

Notice at the very bottom of the page MsJekYll (more like MsJOKEll) shills for Maktub absinthe at the bargain price of $165/bottle. Click on the link for that and learn that it's created from an original 1920's recipe...What total :poop:

Probably sells really well with the college kids trying to get high, arrogance in a bottle.

Everything about 'Ms JOKEll' is nothing but shill for Maktub and Century.

Now try to find out what names are behind Maktub and Century. You have to do a lot of digging to find anything, and it points all kind of different directions.

Does Maketub and Century have something to hide? I don't blame them, If I made, imported or marketed that crap, I would be ashamed too. Can you see a face behind those brands? Hell no. Hide like roaches, they seem to do.

One way to spot a GOOD absinthe is that the people who are behind it put their name on it, loud and proud! I can see a face behind Ridge, Pacifique, Marteau, Leopold, Jade, and many other domestic and import quality brands. That face says 'this is my craft, my product, enjoy!'

In a year or so when I'm tired and jaded, a newbie will carry the torch.

Sorry you carry the weight of the absinthe world on your shoulders there, Atlas.

Honestly, there's really no reason to post arguments on that site. 1) because we did that about 4 years ago, and then we all realized the shill factor, which will always negate our argument, 2) because going over there only serves to give them more attention.

Let them fade into oblivion. They were well on their way already.

but the general populous does. When they don't know anybetter they love this stuff because all they want is to like "absinthe". It is sad really.

Edited by m.a.mccullough

It's most likely just me, but really I think the preference for the use of words like "dose" and "on absinthe" only contribute to the stupid-ass attitude of absinthe as something you should get fucked up (beyond drunk) on. I never say, "I was on some scotch the other day when I started fingering this dude behind the 7-11 dumpster," and I bet you don't either. Is there an equivalent of the use of the words "dose" and "on" that are normally used for other foods or beverages, i.e. "I was drunk on beer the other day.." or "I took 14.5 doses of beer the other night.."? I mean, I understand the archaic and medicinal use of the term "dose." But, in the English, we say "on" to have a negative or mystical connotation when talking about food or beverage, e.g. "on crack", "on heroin," "on SHROOMS?!"

I'm not trying to be an asshole, and if it seems like I am, I assure you it comes naturally, and I am curious--how many of you (and why) do you say "dose" and "on" when it comes to absinthe? How else do we use these terms in non-medicinal/shamanistic ways? Is it necessary that they be non-medicinal or non-shamanistic, I mean do you drink absinthe in a spiritual (out of the ordinary sense) way?

Edited by sandpedlar

I dunno, I was about to go do some garlic...maybe even while on some bread. Maybe trip some meatballs.

:laugh: I get what you're saying, and I agree. That said, I've had friends get mad when I use the phrase "on weed," because it's natural, man. (I think the phrasing is still appropriate in this situation as well.)

It's most likely just me, but really I think the preference for the use of words like "dose" and "on absinthe" only contribute to the stupid-ass attitude of absinthe as something you should get fucked up (beyond drunk).

... how many of you (and why) do you say "dose" and "on" when it comes to absinthe?

I say "dose". I believe it originates from the early days, and medicinal use. I have never used the term "on" to refer to when I am imbibing absinthe, or any other alcohol beverage for that matter.