Sign in to follow this  
Blue Star

Hello from Blue Star

Hello from Blue Star!

I am working on establishing craft distilleries in southwest Michigan and Chicagoland. In either case, I hope to make absinthe after my own heart. But I have been enjoying absinthe since it was legally sold in the US again, and before that have enjoyed louched pastis since I first tried it on a hot summers day in the south of France some 15 years ago. I have been a fan of herbal bitters generally since I was a kid and it was served up by my first-generation Italian grandparents as a digestive at holiday meals. So far, my favorite craft distilled US absinthe is St. George, although there are quite a few other interesting entries like Sirene. I have yet to try the majority of Europeans, although I do like Clandestine in the Swiss white style. Although many of my absinthe drinking friends love Lucid, I am not quite such a fan. I am looking forward to tasting more as I start working on my own formulations. Looks like the Quincy Street Distillery (http://facebook.com/QuincyStreetDistillery) may be able open in Riverside, Illinois, as early as the end of the year, but our plans for Blue Star Distillery (http://facebook.com/BlueStarDistillery) are farther off as we have not yet found the right location. I look forward to participating in the forum, and sharing the absinthe experience. And, hopefully, contributing to it in a tangible way :)

I remember reading about Quincy Street Distillery a couple of weeks ago. It looks like a very cool location.

All the best of luck and...

Welcome to the Forum. :cheers:

I remember reading about Quincy Street Distillery a couple of weeks ago. It looks like a very cool location.

Thanks. Still looking to try Ridge if it ever gets here to the midwest!

Hello Blue Star!

Yes, you need to try Ridge. There are some fine absinthe's made in the US. Pacifique should be on top of your list as well (if you haven't tried it yet). I've heard rumor that Marteau will be available sometime soon, as well.

Best of luck with the distillery!

Edited by LeRoy

Greetings! :cheers:

Don't neglect Delaware Phoenix's offerings, either. St. George is by no means the best that American absinthe has to offer.

Hello and welcome. A ton of useful info here for ya. American distilleries you shoul check out first would be Ridge, Pacific, Delaware Phoenix, Gnostalgic spirits, & Philadelphia.

European brands to look for would be Jade, EP, & the dude that makes la Grenouille. The last one might appeal to your italianess.

Thanks. Still looking to try Ridge if it ever gets here to the midwest!

Or just order it online!

DUNY

Catskill Cellars

It also wouldn't hurt to try some other US absinthes if all you've had is Sirene and St. George. I like St. George but it is an oddball.

Edited by Tatan (Evan Camomile)

Just a brief reintroduction, we've been away from the forum for more than 4 years. 6 years old now, at Quincy Street Distillery we recently released our first absinthe, Prairie Fairie™, currently available only at the distillery. It was a long road. We first made the spirit more than 3 years ago, but it took more than 2 years to get TTB approval of formula and then COLA. Prairie Fairie™ is an absinthe blanc that uses just the holy trinity of botanicals, but unusually uses our honey spirit as the base. We'll post more about the absinthe elsewhere in the forum, but now with our own absinthe on the market, we look forward to be around the forum regularly.

Hello from Blue Star!

I am working on establishing craft distilleries in southwest Michigan and Chicagoland. In either case, I hope to make absinthe after my own heart. But I have been enjoying absinthe since it was legally sold in the US again, and before that have enjoyed louched pastis since I first tried it on a hot summers day in the south of France some 15 years ago. I have been a fan of herbal bitters generally since I was a kid and it was served up by my first-generation Italian grandparents as a digestive at holiday meals. So far, my favorite craft distilled US absinthe is St. George, although there are quite a few other interesting entries like Sirene. I have yet to try the majority of Europeans, although I do like Clandestine in the Swiss white style. Although many of my absinthe drinking friends love Lucid, I am not quite such a fan. I am looking forward to tasting more as I start working on my own formulations. Looks like the Quincy Street Distillery (http://facebook.com/QuincyStreetDistillery) may be able open in Riverside, Illinois, as early as the end of the year, but our plans for Blue Star Distillery (http://facebook.com/BlueStarDistillery) are farther off as we have not yet found the right location. I look forward to participating in the forum, and sharing the absinthe experience. And, hopefully, contributing to it in a tangible way :)

An update: Prairie Fairie™ is going into distribution. We expect product to be available this month in Illinois from Burke Beverage and in California from LibDib, a web-based distributor. We expect it to be available in New York from LibDib in June this year.

Just a brief reintroduction, we've been away from the forum for more than 4 years. 6 years old now, at Quincy Street Distillery we recently released our first absinthe, Prairie Fairie™, currently available only at the distillery. It was a long road. We first made the spirit more than 3 years ago, but it took more than 2 years to get TTB approval of formula and then COLA. Prairie Fairie™ is an absinthe blanc that uses just the holy trinity of botanicals, but unusually uses our honey spirit as the base. We'll post more about the absinthe elsewhere in the forum, but now with our own absinthe on the market, we look forward to be around the forum regularly.