TheLoucheyMonster!

Worst cocktail idea EVER!

"Ambergris ( /ˈæmbəɡriːs/, Latin: Ambra grisea, Ambre gris, ambergrease or grey amber) is a solid, waxy, flammable substance of a dull gray or blackish color produced in the digestive system of and regurgitated or secreted by sperm whales.

Freshly produced ambergris has a marine, fecal odor. However, as it ages, it acquires a sweet, earthy scent commonly likened to the fragrance of rubbing alcohol without the vaporous chemical astringency."

Gee, sounds yummy as a potential cocktail additive, doesn't it?

Then again, I hear that coffee made with civet cat droppings is supposed to be delicious, so who knows? :twitchsmile:

It course it comes from an endangered species, so I have no desire to try it.

Ambergris that is sold nowadays is strictly regulated, and is only harvested as it washes ashore naturally.

Ambergris that is sold nowadays is strictly regulated, and is only harvested as it washes ashore naturally.

I was just going to interject that.

It's rarer now, like the whale, than ever, this making it even more expensive. More, the really GOOD stuff has to, naturally, sorta float around a loooong time. It's a sorta odd, serendipitous item. You sorta stumble on a good 'loaf'.

:thumbup:

Fairly prominent in Asian countries. I mean, not with horses necessarily...but with other animals.

They should use bulls and call it Beef Strokenoff.

When I lived on Okinawa there was a drink sold in vending machines (elsewhere too I guess) called Calpis. It was based upon fermented mare's milk or some such Mongolian concoction. The TV commercial didn't help: a smiling young boy with a bottle in his hand and a whitish ring around his mouth saying (what sounded like) MMMMMM! Cow Piss!

I was just going to interject that.

It's rarer now, like the whale, than ever, this making it even more expensive. More, the really GOOD stuff has to, naturally, sorta float around a loooong time. It's a sorta odd, serendipitous item. You sorta stumble on a good 'loaf'.

:thumbup:

I believe it's also more valuable than gold/per ounce, so anyone lucky enough to stumble upon a "loaf" could potentially pinch out a brick or two. Has anyone seen Abs' prune juice?

Then again, I hear that coffee made with civet cat droppings is supposed to be delicious, so who knows? :twitchsmile:

I'll never drink catshit coffee i don't give a damn how good it tastes :poop:

Don't knock it till you try it. It's quite tasty. I'd rank Civet coffee pretty low on the 'hard to bring myself to try' list. Balut and Durian we're two of the most difficult. Blood jello with onions just a little less so.

Durian is pretty rough.

I walked into a pretty funny conversation about it with a Korean coworker who then gave me a piece. It tasted like puke. Seriously.

He laughed heartily.

One of the biggest coffee connoisseurs/geeks I know (PLUG: North central champion, etc.) hates the stuff and thinks it's the most over-marketed high priced crap in the coffee world.

I'd still try a cup though. :pirate:

Don't knock it till you try it. It's quite tasty. I'd rank Civet coffee pretty low on the 'hard to bring myself to try' list. Balut and Durian we're two of the most difficult. Blood jello with onions just a little less so.

Cobra Blood Pudding I might do again, but Durian is on my "never again" list. Balut is on my "must try at least once" list.

I've had the Civet scat coffee. It's not nasty or anything like that, but there's nothing special about it either. There are so many variables that go into producing any good coffee that making a big deal about one processed through the intestines of a Civet is merely a freak show.

I can't believe the durian haters in this place. I really liked it. Creamy, custard-like, with just a hint of Vidalia onion.

I couldn't bring myself to try it, but once by accident (in Malaysia) I bought a durian flavored ice pop. Tasted exactly like vomit.

I can't believe the durian haters in this place. I really liked it. Creamy, custard-like, with just a hint of Vidalia onion.

Tasted exactly like vomit.

Sounds like you two are in complete agreement.

I'm crossing that stuff off my list of potential food experiences. :laugh:

Edited by Absomphe

That was great, Brian, thanks. I'd love to see the links if you can get them working again. A local Asian market here also sells whole, frozen durian, and I am still tempted on occasion to give it a try.

It can't be worse than haggis, can it?

I got the frozen durian, thawed it outside, and ate it outside. It was not nearly as gross as I had expected.