Sign in to follow this  
Kyle M

First experience with absinthe?

What was your first experience ingesting absinthe? Enjoyable? Rough?

How was it prepared?

What brand of absinthe did you ingest? Did you wish it was some other brand?

How did your perception of absinthe changed after?

Interested in hearing all of your stories. :)

Edit: I tried searching for a similar topic and was not able to locate one. If this has been asked I before I will gladly delete this post.

Edited by Kyle M

Probably the reason why no specific thread exists is because most of the member introduction post have a 'first time' story.

My first taste was Le Tourment Vert, which I compared to gun-cleaning solvent.

Fortunately, also had some Kübler, which saved the day.

Why should it be taken down? I would love to hear first time stories.

I was in NYC at an "interactive" play, Sleep No More, which takes place in a building designed to look like a creepy 1930s hotel. You begin the evening in a lounge, listening to jazz. One of the cocktails served was an absinthe punch, and something made me order it, probably because I was getting into the spirit of the moody, eerie atmosphere. The punch was surprisingly delicious, and I decided I needed to investigate this absinthe stuff. I have no idea what brand they used, but I am going back in two days to see the play again and I will find out.

I am hooked on this punch now: one part absinthe, four parts water, one part simple syrup, one part lime juice, thinly sliced cucumber and ice. YUM!

Before tasting this punch I would have said I disliked licorice, anise and fennel.. but after tasting it I realized the anise flavor in absinthe is very subtle and the combination of flavors is VERY tasty!

Edited by crow

My first was La Fee. It was before I found the WS. I searched for answers as most folks do.

Hartsmar had a review section once but I haven't been there in ages. La Fee was the highest rated oil mix and it was, according to the site, about equal in quality of a three star distilled absinthe. That was then.

Funny thing happened today. A friend told me he had some absinthe for me and it turned out to be La fee Parisienne. It was like time traveling back several years.

Anyway, I liked it and as I grew to know other brands....mostly bad, I found this place and haven't strayed since. I only purchase the best I can afford and is highly rated on the WS review section.

I like to ramble also. :cheers:

My first brand was Absente.

As soon as I heard on the news that the ban on absinthe had been lifted, I went in search of a bar that served it. A friend who owned a bar in Tarzana told me she had some. She carried Absente.

The flavor was a bit overwhelming...like accidentally inhaling Good 'N Plenty. But I liked the kind of intoxication it gave. I eventually moved to Lucid, Kübler, St. George, Leopold Bros., Vieux Pontarlier, Vieux Carre, and Mansinthe. My current favorite locally available absinthe is Pacifique. It's good to work your way up; every improved absinthe you drink is a pleasant surprise, and you wonder how long you can keep finding more amazing absinthes before you top out. It hasn't happened yet.

My first sadly was before the time of re-legalization and enlightenment so I went with all the hype and blew $200 on a bottle of King of Spirits. I would have been better off drinking paint varnish, it would have tasted the same and would have actually lived up to the hype of being "mind altering" Thankfully the whole time period associated with absinthe and the ritual kept me interested enough to suffer through the awfulness and continue trying other brands. Slowly working my way up through less awful "crapsinthes" I finally discovered the beauty of properly distilled absinthes.

My story is similar to Bill's. It was a few years before I joined here, and I ended up with a bottle of La Fee. I didn't know that the glass I was using was three times bigger than a traditional absinthe glass, so after three Absomphe-sized goblets I had to try to force myself to go to sleep. After that, I bought a more traditional glass and the three pack deal of Un Emiles at LdF and never looked back. Pacifique and Ridge Verte are my favorites right now.

Jules and I started with 5 bottles of Strong crapsinth. It was atrocious. Not knowing any better, we drank every drop of that garbage.

My liver is still pissed about that.

I too started with Strong, but it was a brief fling, three drinks if I remember correctly. Brought the bottle back to the liquor store and got some real absinthe in exchange.

My first experience with "absinthe" was choking down my own homemade macerated swill, back in 1976. :puke:

My first experience with a commercial absinthe was Staro, back in 1999. :puke:

It was followed very quickly by a real clandestine la bleue, which opened my eyes to what an absinthe could taste like, and kept me coming back for more.

In 2005 an acquaintance of mine gave me a bottle of homemade stuff for my birthday. It was terrible and probably poisonous if he attempted to distill it. I conveniently left it back at his house the last time I saw him years ago. No louche, bitter as hell, and I have no recollection of wormwood or anise taste to it. More like alcoholic strongly brewed green tea.

In 2010 an ex who would be at home with the suicide girls convinced me to try LTV. Again I thought it was crap and I wanted nothing to do with absinthe.

Finally I got a taste of real absinthe in late 2010 when a new fling brought over Lucid because apparently LTV wasn't real. She was right and I kinda liked it. We went online and looked at reviews from this strange "Absinthe Education Society" website that she knew about and we picked up Leopold Bros. We LOVED it. At this point I figured that absinthe and this girl were keepers so we are all still together today. :dev-cheers:

Edited by Tatan (Evan Camomile)

:wub:

I ended up waiting very patiently to turn 21 (even though I had already been obsessed with absinthe for a few years prior) and various friends who came to me to direct them towards a good absinthe purchase from abroad never ended up buying any. I had mostly put it out of my mind because I was a poor college student for a while, then unemployed. Finally someone told me they saw a bottle of Lucid and I was highly skeptical until I researched it a bit and realized it was the real deal...then our local liquor store started carrying it. With my 2008 stimulus check I went out and got myself a bottle of Lucid, two Pontarlier glasses, a spoon and some sugar cubes. I used sugar once: the first time, and threw out the box of sugar cubes about a year ago. The bottle lasted quite a while, as I was living with my anti-alcohol parents and was depressed and unemployed, so I kept my drinking to a minimum (my Lucid was living with a responsible friend at the time.) Evan got to help me kill off the last of that bottle. Apparently my obsession rubbed off on him. :cheerz:

I bought a bottle of Herbsaint back in the 90s, and I invited Kate Bush back to my crib, and everything sort of took on a life of it's own from then on...

Fixed for the benefit of Enquiring minds who want to know. :laugh: ;)