75 replies to this topic

#61 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

:laugh:
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#62 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

It is surprising how "good" Kübler rates with the number of people that don't like it.

We liked it enough to keep going and that is all that mattered.

As well, I liked it enough to keep going. However, if you look at the user reviews here in detail, only 4 of 17 are posted after the end of 2008. I think back then people were still jonesing for something authentic and domestically available. Enter Kübler... right place, right time. BTW, my total score was 3.2.

personally i would rate the Lucid above the Vieux Carre

I wouldn't, and didn't. I rated the VC higher because that's what the current rating criteria called for. However, if I bellied up to a bar and wanted an absinthe and my choices were VC or Lucid, it wouldn't be an easy decision. The Lucid, although lower scoring, is more traditionally correct, IMO, while the VC is more idiosyncratic in ways I'm personally not so fond of. In all fairness, I'm still nursing a bottle of VC from it's first release (about early 2009). I have heard there have been improvements.

Oh, and to return to the original subject, all three of these are stored in the back row of my cabinet.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#63 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

By my observations, based on the rating system, provided the absinthe isn't artificially colored, it louches, and it tastes remotely like some blend of anise/fennel/wormwood, it's probably going to get around 3 stars. Anything less than that pretty much means it's fauxsinthe.

I gave it a 3.2 as well. :wave2:
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#64 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

And I really don't want to pick nits, but I don't want to misinform, either.

I just reviewed an absinthe that met all those requirements that I scored 2.2 because it was very ill-executed.

I would say that less than 3 is substandardsinthe. Less than 2 is probably fauxsinthe. YMMV.

#65 skow69

skow69

• Silver Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

"I don't think there is any other product in the world that one must be so careful about before purchasing in order to not get ripped off."
---JDHURF

[Thanks, Miguel.]

Truer words were never spoken. I thought it was just me who fell pray to the crapsinthe peddlers in the beginning. Maybe the most surprising part is that we managed to gag our way thru those first nasty bottles and keep searching.

It just tears my heartstrings to think of some poor bastard out there setting fire to his King of Spirits and trying to convince himself that he likes it 'cause it cost him 200 bucks....
:laf:
....as I drain this glass of Ridge and reach for the Pacifique.

Don't give up, Poor Bastard, there's better times ahead.
Movin' to Montana soon.
Gonna be a dental floss tycoon.
Movin' to Montana soon.
Gonna be a mental toss flycoon.
F. Zappa, 1974

#66 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:54 AM

I knew I'd arise someone's ire when we talked about Lucid. ;)

Honestly, I do like it. I think since it is an import, it suffers from a price disadvantage, which creates a lot of the bitching.

As for Lucid and VC, not even close in my book. and the last bottle of VC, put it in Pacifique/Ridge territory.

#67 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

I'd like to see that. Someone should meet me with a sample of recent production. Right now, the average "user score" here is 3.9. Brian has it at 4.0. It's quite a leap to "Pacifique/Ridge territory". A move of 0.7 in total score (which is "Pacifique/Ridge territory") is no small move here.

Additionally, If you take a good look at the scoring for Pacifique and Ridge, you will find a much tighter range of scoring than the VC. The Pacifique ranges from 4.2 - 4.8, with one outlier at 3.9, and the Ridge ranges from 4.3 - 5.0. The VC is all over the place with scores ranging from 3.0 - 4.5. That shows either how controversial it is, or how much the reviewing population here misunderstands how to score a somewhat idiosyncratic absinthe. Hopefully, when the new review tutorial and guidelines come out, we'll clear that part up to some degree.

Storage, storage, storage.

#68 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

I myself didn't score my first bottle that well. Having never indulged in Pernod 1901, I cannot judge idiocynracy. I always needed sugar with it. The aroma and flavor where a bit odd, but in a 4.0 way at best.

This past Christmas I bought a bottle from Julie for my brother. He offered me a glass, and not having louched it with sugar, I was prepared not to enjoy it much. I was wrong, I enjoyed it very much, as much as almost any other absinthe I've tried. It still has it's particular thing, but it is not so pronounced as to be intrusive.

Of course at that point I was on my third day without absinthe. :)

I'd send you a sample, but all I have is my old bottle which is doing carafe duties in the fridge. I've been having bad luck ordering booze lately.

Storing VC is easy, it is already brown when you get it. :)

Edited by Miguel, 11 February 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#69 skow69

skow69

• Silver Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:45 AM

How about some Trul 1792? Huh, anyone? :twitchsmile:
That was the best of an eight bottle order I made

I'm so sorry. :-{
Movin' to Montana soon.
Gonna be a dental floss tycoon.
Movin' to Montana soon.
Gonna be a mental toss flycoon.
F. Zappa, 1974

#70 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:01 AM

So was I. :laugh:

The pain is almost gone but the memory has left a scar. Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#71 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

Yep. Some people recommend that you decant a bottle into a smaller vessel when it gets down to about 1/4 of a bottle remaining. It's a sound recommendation, but I've had several bottles that have been around for 5 or 6 years at those levels and are still OK. Proper storage is very important though. Cool, dark places are the best option.

I agree with most of the above, but (respectfully) will throw in that in all spirit catagories, the general rule of thumb is "best within 6 months", regardless of storage conditions. No less an authority as Paul Pacault swears by the mantra that if you don't intend on finishing it within a year- invite some friends over, :)

However...

Since we aren't all blessed like P. Pacault, and have the world's most magical delivery fairies at our door every day (ie- THOUSANDS of producers sending him free product), and we can't always finish stuff that fast/can't afford (more likely), then yes- absolutely do the following:

Cool (not cold- you'll rip oils out of suspension), DARK, dry place.
On its bottom- not on its side. Unlike lower proof goodies, absinthe will eat through natural cork. I am even leary about artificial ones, to be honest.
Yes, it is indeed a good idea to transer to a smaller bottle as you run it down over time. From a 750 to a 375ml, and perhaps if you are really cellaring it for a while, into a 175ml.

Honestly, if you did none of the above (well- DO DO the 'cool, dark, dry' thing, always), your hootch would likely still be just fine 5 years from now. I'd just venture it might not be perfect, and where I can have my delicious hootch perfect, I prefer it that way, :) :)

We have learned that, especially with some of the earlier absinthe-revival era stuff, some just do not age well. Period. Perfectly fine, well-made absinthes, when opened, drank, cellared, and drank a few years later are just not what they used to be, and some have gone from great to eh (or even blech).

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#72 Algernon

Algernon

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

We have learned that, especially with some of the earlier absinthe-revival era stuff, some just do not age well. Period. Perfectly fine, well-made absinthes, when opened, drank, cellared, and drank a few years later are just not what they used to be, and some have gone from great to eh (or even blech).

And others start out nice, then turn yucky. Then after about another year, turn out even better than when they were first opened.

#73 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

Sounds like Pinot Noir. Some go through a dumb phase in the middle years, being better both before and after that awkward period.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#74 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

I just refer to that as the ugly period.
Some do okay at first then struggle for a year or so, that's when they start to come around to be some very tasty booze.
It takes patience and a little bit of self control but I, In my most humble opinion, believe it should be given a chance.

:cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#75 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Crap. I guess I had better put a few cases in storage, now. ;)

#76 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:39 AM

:laugh:
I was thinking of samples and you are talking cases........dang! ;)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association