• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

Is there any limit to the amount of time an OPENED bottle of absinthe should be stored? I plan to have 6 or 7 new bottles this time next week and want to try them all. No idea how long it will take me and my husband to go through them all, plus I image I'll be collecting more throughout the year. Any special issues with keeping opened bottles?
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#2 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

As long as you keep them corked, they will keep forever.
"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#3 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,801 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:43 PM

Yep. Some people recommend that you decant a bottle into a smaller vessel when it gets down to about 1/4 of a bottle remaining. It's a sound recommendation, but I've had several bottles that have been around for 5 or 6 years at those levels and are still OK. Proper storage is very important though. Cool, dark places are the best option.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#4 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

Whatever you do, DON'T store them sideways.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#5 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:34 PM

No, not sideways, in the liquor closet (if there's room)... I did want to make a little absinthe bar for myself and keep them on the counter, but maybe I shouldn't as they'll be exposed to light.
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#6 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:37 PM

Glass bottle, cork, dark, cool (room temp ok if there is AC & heat to keep temps from extremes), and vertical. that pretty much covers it.

#7 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,618 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

What he said.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#8 Maximiliano

Maximiliano

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

Hello,

I was wondering why one shouldn't store a bottle sideways? Is this a rule only if the bottle has already been opened? I have two bottles back home that I plan on keeping for a few years and they are unopened. Is this okay? Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Maximiliano
"He had that curious love of green, which in individuals is always the sign of a subtle artistic temperament, and in nations is said to denote a laxity, if not a decadence of morals." -O.W

#9 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:45 AM

The damn absinthe eats the damn cork.

:blowup:

Website | Blog | Twitter

#10 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

When shipped, absinthe is usualy on its side, but I make sure to store it standing up, especially after opening, and listening to Ambears tale of woe. Woe.
Maybe the air adds to the mayhem?

#11 Maximiliano

Maximiliano

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

The damn absinthe eats the damn cork.

Oh no... Is this going to be a problem for an unopened bottle that's been on it's side for a few months? I'll have the person keeping the bottles turn them vertical asap...
"He had that curious love of green, which in individuals is always the sign of a subtle artistic temperament, and in nations is said to denote a laxity, if not a decadence of morals." -O.W

#12 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:56 AM

Low alcohol contents such as wine should be stored sideways to keep the cork wet, high alcohol contents such as absinthe should be stored up right to keep the cork from contact with the liquid to prevent cork deterioration. I personally tip the bottles to get the cork wet time to time just to keep them from drying out too much. I'm not sure if this is a common practice but it is something i do.

I am no professional so please if anyone of you pros can verify and/or correct anything i have said it would be much appreciated.
Absinthe Veritas, Distiller Probitas. These are the things we fight for.

#13 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,176 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:04 AM

I have a sad but true tale of woe regarding the storage of high proof absinthe on it's side.

I have the cork fragments and about 100ml of vintage absinthe that was cork tainted in the process.

I have witnesses and tears still well up in my eyes when the subject is brought up.

Store it upright. My personal feeling about tilting them from time to time is that it's just fine. All my bottles are stored upright. Both of them.

Have a swell day. :wave2:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#14 Maximiliano

Maximiliano

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:33 AM

I guess to be more specific... Is my absinthe "tainted" now that it has been sitting on it's side for roughly five months?

#15 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:43 AM

Makes me think 316 stainless steel should be what seals absinthe in. (316SS is sometimes called 18-8 Inox, it is used a lot in food handling stuff, and comon table implements).

#16 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,176 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

Mine was over a 20+ year period.

Five months should be no problem. JMO
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#17 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:32 PM

Considering my Sauvage spent over a week on it's side on the way here, and it tasted awesome, the manattee seems to be correct.

#18 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,176 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:31 PM

I am but your humble servant. :cheers:

#19 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,801 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

Five months should be no problem. JMO

Agreed. But put it upright as soon as possible to reduce the chance.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#20 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:35 AM

Also, it's a spirit, and not a wine. You're not going to find many spirits laid on their sides for a reason.

Unless the intent is to keep the cork saturated, evaporating off the alcohol, and additionally break down the cork for that added extra flavor (as per Bill's tale of woe), it's just not groovy.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#21 mistermojorisin'

mistermojorisin'

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:11 AM

this thread is all very valuable information, thanks!!
i had the experience of opening a bottle of Vieux Carre this past summer and then leaving it on the kitchen counter for a period of time. ( it looked so good there :devil: )
it took me about 3 weeks as i recall to drink it and by the end i was sure the flavor was changed, and not for the better...i blame the sunlight in the kitchen and won't make that error again, no matter how cool it looks!
the truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it--Ayn Rand

#22 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,304 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

Hey guys, I found a new and better place to store my bottles, in a shelved closet in my finished basement, which is heated to about 60-65 during the coldest months. The back of the closet however, is the poured cement of the foundation. It was getting pretty cold in there. I installed some decent foam r8 insulation sheets, and it gets to about 50 degrees in there on the coldest days. What is your best guess as to the minimum temp before problems occur? I was thinking things would be OK as long as it's above 45 degrees, but I'm sure some of you have the right answer.

Thanks!

#23 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,974 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

Jules and I have pulled forgotten bottles off the deck in -10 degree weather, days spent in such abuse. I wouldn't advise treating your absinthe in such a callous manner but I will contend, it's not nearly as fragile as we think. Fuck it. I'm tossing a bottle in the freezer and another bottle in the microwave just to see for myself.

Kidding about the microwave. :laf:

#24 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

I can confirm that Ridge absinthe blanche 58° will survive several days/nights in sub-zero temps without harm. It was an accidental but beneficial experiment. *blush*
I am the wood nymph.

#25 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,304 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

Thanks Joe and Jules. I don't know if vertes are different than blanches. I remember hearing of small specks sometimes appearing in cold absinthe, I just was hoping to know the temps where this can occurs,
or has for people.

#26 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

I've never personally stored absinthe in my freezer but I remember being warned against it to avoid the anethole molecules from freezing and separating from the rest of the absinthe. I would think that storing bottles in 45 degrees Fahrenheit and up should be just fine.

If you're looking for an exact temperature you may want to try asking over at FV.

Edited by Phoenix, 09 January 2012 - 09:53 PM.

"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#27 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

I know when I toss my absinthe-rinsed glasses in the freezer to chill while making drinks they'll have noticeable creamy lines when I pull them back out a few minutes later. :thumbdown:

Website | Blog | Twitter

#28 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,974 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:36 AM

I remember hearing of small specks sometimes appearing in cold absinthe,

Specks? I never heard of that except for...

... I remember being warned against it to avoid the anethole molecules from freezing and separating from the rest of the absinthe.

Yes, but I have only personally seen that in an absinthe frappe'. I have heard it does happen.

If you're looking for an exact temperature you may want to try asking over at FV.

I'm sure that's already been done. :laugh:

I would not seriously recommend storing absinthe in a freezer (or microwave). I was simply telling on Jules for leaving absinthe out on the deck for several days in the dead of winter. Room temperature or basement/cellar temperature is just fine.

#29 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,304 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

Thanks guys. I asked as I remembered a discussion here at one point, but couldn't find it.
I doubt the closet would ever get below 48, so it shouldn't be a problem.

#30 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

You should be OK. Just avoid the fridge, my brother ruined a bottle of pastis that way. And returning it to room temp didn't fix it. But 48F is 12F higher than fridge temp.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association