crow

Swiss absinthe

Okay I've got a noob question so don't jump down my throat:

So far I've tried only American and French made absinthes. Will I notice a significant difference in a Swiss absinthe or will the difference be as much as between any absinthe from any maker? I'm considering Duplais Balance as my first from Switzerland.

Well, Duplais are not that much of "Swiss" absinthes, it's the best counter-example :)

Swiss asbinthe are, generally speaking (careful, not always true) :

- Blanche (well, particular blanche called Bleue)

- Sharper

- Stronger on the anise/wormwood combo, often less herbal

The swiss taste is very different from the French taste : the Swiss from the Val de Travers don't understand French absinthe, and the contrary is sometimes true

Generally speaking, you can't go wrong with anything from Duplais. Oliver Matter's Duplais Verte and Balance are very good IMHO.

Is there anything distinctly different from American, French or Swiss distiller's? Not really. The biggest difference is between the individual distillers, not the country of origin although I'm happy to acknowledge Aggelos' regional differences.

While that may be a n00b question, it is still a very good question.

In my experience, I've found most VdT Le Bleues to be fairly monotone in flavor. Crisp and clean, with pronounced anise flavor and wormwood acting more as a supporting player. As Clement noted, not as herbal. And while I say they are monotone, they are still very tasty. Just not as complex.

Again, just my opinion.

Clement, Can you explain what you mean? Made in Switzerland but more of a French recipe?

Edited by crow

Well, Duplais are not that much of "Swiss" absinthes, it's the best counter-example :)

Can you explain what you mean here? Made in Switzerland but more to a French style? Best "counter-example?"

(sorry, I'm repeating my question but I'm trying to learn how to use the reply-with-quote feature)

La Clandestine is a perfect way to be introduced to a decent Swiss la Bleue. There are more complex one's, such as Sevil, for instance. Also, la Maison Fontaine though a French blanche, has a nice melding of French and Swiss sensibilities. I can also suggest Ridge Blanche, perhaps the best blanche being offered in the US.

Thanks. All these comments were very helpful. I'm not sure I'd like a true Swiss, so hopefully I can taste a glass somewhere when I visit NYC next week. But I will go ahead an order a bottle of Duplais Balance (along with a Jade PF 1901, which seems on most people's top ten list).

... I can also suggest Ridge Blanche...

What the man with the cool guitars & absinthe toys said. :cheers:

I'm very fond of this, as much as any verte. I find it a but more demanding of a proper dilution ratio, when when louched right, it is heavenly.

On my absinthes to buy someday list is La Clandestine, it seems to get good press, and is available here. Pimped by a pretty cool cat.

Edit: changed :cheers; to :cheers:

Edited by Miguel

Ooo! It's so pretty and soft and fuzzy! My cats don't like absinthe...granted, I've only offered them vertes.