315431_2522922352882_1248042128_33042084_208296960_n.jpg

Over the weekend I went to a friends house for his families tradition; Crawfest. His folks asked me to bring my fountain because they had picked up a bottle of Absinthe in Germany. I figured a had a 50/50 chance of the bottle being artificially colored. As it turns out the odds were 55.5 that is was artificially colored.

The food was incredible and HOT! They grow a bunch of peppers and had added their own "Ghost Pepper Sauce" to the brine. My mouth was on fire and I was looking forward to nice cold absinthe.

I broke out my fountain and they produced the bottle. I cringed a bit at the color. I knew what lay ahead. I poured four doses into my collectible dollar store stemware set and began the louche. The louche formed quickly and the oil trails were fun to point out and watch. They were fully louched (both with sugar and without) at approximately 2:1 even with the slowest drip I could manage.

As you can see from the photo the color seemed artificial to say the least. I can't read German to tell if it had added coloring, but I think it's a safe bet to assume it did.

The aroma had that same sort of muted aroma I have found with Absente, with something I can't discern getting in the way of the aroma. Though the strong scent of the Star Anise came through.

The taste brought me right back to where my fascination with Absinthe began; Absente. The anise sucker-punch was expected so it didn't take me by surprise. The fennel came next in taste. which was mild and tasted of "Good'n'Plenty". The finish has a mild flavor of bitter mint but it was so fleeting I couldn't tell exactly.

I only had one glass, which in this case was a great mercy. The second glass, of any alcohol anymore, is almost guaranteed to end in a migraine.

I wouldn't spend my cash on this one. It was a couple steps up from the overpowering flavors I find in the Absente, yet still, those steps are found in the basement.

Edited by Ryan Nikkel

Interesting find Ryan, and way to go on the good PR. :cheers:

Can we get a photo of the back? Someone here might be able to read a bit o german.

The louche formed quickly and the oil trails were fun to point out and watch.

They're not oil trails. ;) But hey, at least the stuff louched. I'm far less dismayed by one-note, Good-n-Plenty brands than I am by turquoise "non-anise" brands.

From the distiller's webshop:

Description:

The 18th- -Century cult beverage is distilled from wormwood and other herbs, such as star anise and fennel.

Additional information:

with dye

Product info, google translated:

Absinthe inspired! This is beyond question. Especially to stories. Van Gogh to cut off noise in one ear, Picasso poured the most beautiful bronze at all, and they erased a Swiss farmer his entire family. Painters have absinthe actually tilted in masses, especially because its psychoactive substances, the improved color perception. Not only is the scene now drink absinthe Absinthe is distilled from wormwood and other herbs, such as star anise and fennel. The slightly bitter green drink with a taste similar fragrance contains a lot of alcohol - today in minimal quantity - a special substance that is medically considered purely as a neurotoxin: thujone, a THC-containing (cannabis ingredient) component of the essential oil of wormwood. Even in ancient times wormwood for medicinal purposes has been used as a stomach medicine. Dr. Pierre Ordinaire in 1792 then invented the recipe for absinthe. After the ban in effect since 1923 for the drink was now abolished in the context of liberalization within the borders of Europe, absinthe is back on the shelf in the trade. "However, now is the earlier of Thujonanteil been up to 80 mg per liter to 10 mg day maximum per liter reduced by law," said marketing director André smoke from the distillery Dr Gerald Rauch, "the effect is so much weakened and a inspiring reduced level. " However, absinthe is due to the high alcohol content drink as pure only for die-hards. The 18th- -Century cult drink, also called "green fairy" has called, after all, about 55.5% vol stately or 77.7% alcohol by volume are what earned him hat.Drinkvarianten smoke in the house and the respective name to benefit "on the rocks", with water, or - depending on gusto - dar. can celebrate with champagne for connoisseurs is also a real ritual with caramelized sugar. And always note: "Never drink more than your bartender or (favorite) recommends artists live." This is especially true for 77.7 absinthe - the version for the extreme pleasure - with a whopping 77.7% alcohol by volume and the legally permitted maximum level of thujone

LINK

There was a fire and spoon graphic on the little card which came attached to it. I quickly threw that away since no one there knew how to prepare absinthe anyway. I heard a lot of "I've only tasted this stuff in shots". I smiled and said "You'll probably like it this way a lot more". I didn't speak ill of the bottle since I was a guest in their home. They are the parents of my good friend who I stood as best man for his wedding.

The next time we get together though, my fountain and some Pacifique and some MoL and probably some Leopold's are coming with me.

Though after the party I was told that the majority of their guests found the absinthe to be the part they enjoyed most. Even those who didn't try any, the fountain and me blathering on and on were enjoyable entertainment :laugh:

Exactly where mine began also. (christmas gift) then on to the only other brand available nearby (Lucid). And now after ordering and waiting and sweating and waiting some more and lost package and missing a delivery and getting a call from the Fed Ex driver telling me hes broke down and cant deliver my Pacifique! to me leaving work and driving "balls to the wall" to meet him 15 miles out of town to get it. (and worth every minute) I wonder why are the good brands not offered? Are the stores (distributors) afraid if folks get a taste of good absinthe they wont buy their other products anymore so they only carry the crap brands? I cant wait to try the other American offerings. Def a fan of Pacifique but my next order will be Ridge verte and then from the Delaware Pheonix distillery and on and on and on.

Edited by Songcatcher

Discussed elsewhere, but a big part of it is distribution, lack of education (not realizing there are better brands out there) and with the poor quality, cheap brands selling poorly, why put the money into more expensive and less "fun" looking bottles?

I was thinking about it, and even though I live in the land of a few tasty absinthes readily available, that was never going to be enough. I was fated from the start to having to purchase some absinthes from other states or abroad. Even if I had 5 or 6 great brands to choose from, it wouldn't eliminate my desire to purchase the others as well...I don't think there's such a thing (as a consumer) as too many good absinthe brands.