Sign in to follow this  
Evan Camomile

New American Rouge

Good stuff, with their own flavor. The only good booze regularly carried by the local store. Pacifique makes rare appearances.

I want a bottle of this Toulouse Red, even though it does not proudly wear a big bold Occitan cross.

I'd like to write a review of this absinthe, having recently gotten a bottle. I've had a few glasses this weekend, but maybe I should hold off and get to know this offering better before writing a formal review.

So far my take on it is:

Appearance: RED! Bright, clear, and RED!

Aroma: Neat it immediately spread throughout my folk's first floor upon opening. Natural with a traditional absinthe aroma at front, but with the nice hibscus notes right behind.

Louched, the same but softer, with the traditional absinthe aroma a bit more forward.

Flavor: Delicious. A good, well balanced absinthe up front, with the hibiscus playing a nice second fiddle. It reminded me of a DP but with the hibiscus notes. I can see this as being very popular with my family in the summer, especially with an ice cube or two after louching.

Finish. Nice, proper.

Overall I'm quite happy. I had no idea what to expect out of this, and the bright color made me a touch nervous, but in the end both myself and my dad enjoyed it quite a bit. My dad, who has tried good absinthes but is not crazy about absinthe, did like this one enough to want 2nds and 3rds, and reluctant to see me bring the bottle to Houston.

I still need to spend some more time with it, to nail it down better, but for the $60 my dad got it for, I'm pretty happy. I had to bring him Old Parr bottles to get him to trade.

Père Ubu, I'm glad you've enjoyed your Toulouse Red so far and look forward to seeing your full review.

Regarding the color, I would like to note that Toulouse Red is made with 100% natural herbs. No artificial colors or flavors are used.

For summertime drinking, I recommend our Absinthe Frappé:

http://ateliervie.com/ateliervie/dreaming-of-summer-with-toulouse-red-absinthe-frappe

How rectified is the cane base? I thought I detected a hint from it, but with all the herbal flavors, it was probably just my imagination. Either way, it was very tasty! :thumbup:

We also attribute some of the sweetness to the cane base.

I'm curious how you acquired your bottle? We had one gentleman drive all the way from Texas to get one for a friend. Is there any connection here?

We hope to announce a more efficent purchasing method for TX residents soon.

I visited my dad in NOLA who got one at a store locally, and swapped for some Old Parr. He did enjoy several glasses of the red, which he liked better than Vertes.

I just got back from the bottle sale at the distillery and have bought a couple bottles of Toulouse Green. I will do a review in the near future. It was a great experience and the people at the distillery were nice and down to earth. I expect more quality products coming from Atelier Vie Distillery including their blanche! :thumbup:

Received my bottles today from Federal Spirits. After a glass of each my impressions are very good! With the cane base I don't think either needs to be sugared at all. Not NEARLY as distracting as some others. The Toulouse Red is my first rouge and that extra something (hibiscus?) really stands out in a good way :) The verte is nice as well - sort of like if Leopolds and Walton Waters had a baby - not a bad thing at all. Not as floral but very solid. Louche on both is nice and thick. Lovely.

A question for the group: These are my first bottles with twist caps. Should I replace the caps with t-corks? Good thing about the bottle design - I can pour with spilling even a drop! (which happens far, far too frequently with other bottles)

I like this rouge a lot more than expected... wow.

I will say that without sugar though - in the verte - the cane base might be too overpowering for some tastes...

Retracting the statement about Leopolds/WW. Initial impressions were to that effect but unsugared not so much. Amazing the differences a bit of sugar can make. Anyway - these are simply initial impressions so please do take them as such.

Edited by JosephLabrecque

I could "tell" it was a cane/rum sort of base is all. Not nearly as prominent as with something like Obsello II, mind you. But it is there in case that sort of thing is bothersome to individuals.

I expected to prefer the verte over their rouge but that is a tasty red :)

A handsome louche on the Toulouse Green for those who are interested.

BS8yHSBCQAA-_S9.jpg​

Finding that I enjoy this absinthe with a small portion (1/2 small lump) of sugar. Seems to really complement the core flavors.

The screw caps will seal it just fine. Don't worry about having to use tcorks.

Thank you very much!