Sign in to follow this  
Evan Camomile

New American Rouge

What was in a historical rouge? I'm more wondering about the Rosinette recipe if it is still, or was ever, in existence.

Literally all we know about Rosinette (unless I've missed something new) is that someone made a poster for it. Technically, we don't know if it was ever even actually made; in all likelihood it was, but that one poster is all we have.

As far as I know, it's the only pink absinthe that we have any evidence of in the pre-ban era. Any further information is definitely welcome.

This is all of the text from the poster:

top: Rosinette Absinthe Rose Oxygènée [Rosinette Oxygenated Pink Absinthe]

on the bottle: Oxygénée Rose 60° [oxygenated pink 60%]

ABSINTHE

Rose-Oxygènée

Rosinette

Billancourt, (Seíne)

J. Boisseau [signature]

Déposée [trademark]

on table edge: Exiger la marque [insist on this brand]

lower left: Imp. Camis [Camis, Printers]

bottom right: Affiches-Camis. Paris [Camis-Posters, Paris]

MAbsinthe-Rosinette.jpg

Aside from the circumstances leading to Oxy finding and acquiring the poster, you now know as much as anyone does about this particular absinthe.

One can also infer, from the poster subject/pose, that this particular absinthe was aimed at the female market.

Because no self-respecting He-Man would stoop so low as to drink a pink beverage!

Her 'puter often is :)

So Billancourt was annexed into Boulogne in 1860 and the name of the region was changed to Boulogne-Billancourt in 1924. So we have times of use for that region name by itself. Seíne is a river running through that area and this city is part of the administrative area of Val de Seine.

So... Distillery operating in the Billancourt area from 1860 to the ban. Possibly named after the river? Oxy places the date of the poster to 1900 somehow.

That poster company was very busy at the time doing everything from toothpaste, to cars, to booze ads.

Okay next on the hunt. Red absinthes during the ban period up to the 1960s, much like Tarragona or something?

See this is how I geek out on things, a bunch of random trivia trying to hunt something down online. I don't even care for most of the reds that I've tried that much.

The Hunt for Red Absinthe!

Edited by Tatan (Evan Camomile)

:laf:

Off the 'puter and back in the kitchen, scullery wench!

Unless, of course, your 'puter's in the kitchen. :laugh:

Her 'puter often is :)

Yep. I'm a bad cook and need all the extra guidance I can get. Plus now that I have a giant countertop, plenty of space for the 'puter. :cheers:

There was a guy in New York that I was talking to on the weekly TDN about a year ago that claimed to have an old distiller's manual from the late 1800s that had a recipe for red absinthe, but I've not been able to get a hold of him since. I'd love to be able to see if he was right/telling the truth.

Hi Everybody,

Mark Venczel here, i'm new to WS, but excited about getting involved. I will be the distiller for Atelier Vie, the soon-to-be New Orleans distillery that will be producing a red absinthe.

I did come up with the recipe myself (during a period when i had LOTS of free time to play around), basically by substituting Hibiscus flowers for the coloring and flavoring herbs in the second maceration. The created a decent flavored "absinthe", was very pretty color, but lacked depth. And indeed the color did tend to fade rather quickly.

Modifying the recipe further (and finding out that red absinthe had actually been done before) i added a "base note" to create depth of flavor, as well as an additional ingredient that does extend the color lifespan. These ingredients will remain secret for the time being - Ha!

To reassure the purists (as i am one myself) i would rather create a product that dulls in color over time than adulterate my absinthe with artificial colors. Anyway, it turns a not unpleasant lighter shade of pink without the secret color extender ingredient.

best,

-m

Welcome to the Forum, Mark and thanks for the bit of information you gave us, too.

We would encourage you to start your very own Introduction thread so everyone can welcome you all nice and proper. You will discover there is very little competition between the distillers on WS and as long as you aren't encouraging fire rituals or talking up the balz trippin' goodness of thujone, the camaraderie is first rate. :cheers:

We have a new official Mardi Gras drink!!

Good to see that absinthe distilling is returning to Nawlins.

Part of the absinthe revival seems to have a New Orleans thing to it.

There seems to have been a hang of absintheurs operating right under my nose, while I was drinking at the absinthe bar and watching the Braille Blues Daddy.