Jack Griffin

Absinthe Postcards

I thought it might be fun to show postcards related to absinthe. I searched, but could not find a thread.

Here's a cool set of "Apache gang" cards, complete. This guy is giving a demonstration of murder, thievery,

and general "not being nice" techniques, all the while with a louched glass of absinthe on the table, ready to drink.

I floated these in one of the frames where the cards go between two panes of glass, using acid-free felt squares on the back to hold them in place. You flip the frame over, and can see the backs. It's a nice way of mounting cards.

I hope some of you will post as well!

ApacheFront.jpg

ApacheBack.jpg

Yes LoucheyMonster, it is an interesting resource. I've found several things there over the last couple years. I guess the cat's out of the bag now!

It's trickier than Ebay however, as many only take checks, which makes it complicated with the fees involved. Also, many of the vendors list the items on Ebay as well, which can cause problems if they don't end the auction at Ebay. In addition, it is not as safe as Ebay, as Paypal will not protect purchases from auction sites other than Ebay. There are also many un-verified sellers, and in these cases, they will not fight for you if a seller rips you off or misrepresents things.

This one is pretty interesting from a historical perspective, as well as being well-done cartoon art.

It shows a post-ban scenario of sneaky folks putting absinthe and other goodies into lamps, as lamp oil.

carte.jpg

sneaky folks = crafty or cunning individuals.

So, someone considered to be a craftsman could also be considered cunning. A compliment in many circles.

That is a very nice post card indeed Master Scott!

Just disregard the drivel. <shrug>

This is a bit of history, and I thought it would be interesting for folks. The first card is postmarked 1915 (on the back), the first year of the French ban. The second card, with a photo taken from nearly the same position and angle, only a few years later, has a very different caption than that of the first. The factory is still making chocolate, and is owned by Nestle. It's interesting; as you smell the chocolate in the street, but only a few blocks away you smell the absinthe from the Guy distillery!

avant.jpg

apres.jpg

nestle.jpg

Here's a great card with a rare view of filled topettes on a bar in a bistro. It's pretty beat-up, but I thought it was a nice view of a casual scene from the era, with pieces in use that we rarely see in postcards.

topettecard.jpg

Except, perhaps for the wine growers.

Phallus Phylloxera.

:g: I tink your subconscious vants to tell you something ya!

:laf: Fruedian slip eh there Absomphe! Happens to the best of us old sport! :euro:

Great postcards btw this is really a cool topic! :thumbup:

Edited by Cajun Magic

I wanted to share this, as it's a wonderful juxtaposition. I've had this antique postcard of Pontarlier for a while now, and I brought it with me last week, to recreate it from the same exact place and angle. I hope you like it! I like the addition of skylights on the building on the right. This is right next to the museum. The sidewalks are a bit wider, and the road narrower, but not much has changed in the many years that the original was made. Though the stamp is marked what seems to be 1940, this card is likely 1910-1915.

pontarliercardlowres.jpg

Edited by Scott M.