• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 absinthion

absinthion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:32 PM

I noticed a few topettes on US Ebay. They all come from the same seller in Belgium. To me they just don't look right: The glass is colorless, the proportions are slightly off, and they don't represent types that are known to be original. I could be wrong (hell, I've been wrong more than once in my life) but I thought I would post it in the case some members here are thinking about bidding.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

#2 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,896 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:05 PM

Golly! Do you think someone might really try to sell something that wasn't legit on ebay? ;)

#3 absinthion

absinthion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:30 PM

No, I just think it would suck if some people that are new to absinthe antiques would buy a fake topette for like $100.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

#4 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,896 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:41 PM

I should have used the :sarc:

I was agreeing with you. ;)

#5 absinthion

absinthion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

Oh, just showing the sign doesn't help. You gotta knock it on my head! :laugh:

#6 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:57 PM

I think we may have seen this one before.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#7 Scott M.

Scott M.

Advanced can't re-member

• 3,271 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:28 PM

Hey Absinthion, I just looked at those, and there are many many kinds of topettes out there...these are likley old, but I suspect some non-original bouchons (stoppers), which is not uncommon. Also, people did use tiny little bottles at night as a way to get to sleep. I have one of those, and it has the same bouchon as a dosed topette, yet is not a topette. The Musee forum over at the absinthe museum has many collectors
who are always happy to voice/add and opinion or info. They have both a French, and English forum, and it's a great place to get solid answers regarding issues like this. Some of these guys were quite helpful when I was putting my book together. I suspect they would be happy to guide you.
-Life is nature's way of keeping food fresh.
http://www.absintheantiques.net

#8 absinthion

absinthion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:17 PM

Yea, the Museum forum is a great place for collectors. My better half has been a member there for a while.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association