radu

Hello Hello

Hello,

I have been lurking on this site for a few months now, and felt it was time to properly introduce myself, so here it goes.

My name is Chris. I'm 31 years old, been a pharmacy technician for about 7 years now, working at a mail order pharmacy for the past 4.

I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, (I see at least one other regular on this board, baubel, also resides in the Duke city whats up man!)

Quick list of hobbies include: Disc Golf, No-Limit Texas Hold'em, Music, Books, Video Games, and Computers.

I have always been a beer drinker, but only good beer, not that swill that most people drink. I know that makes me sound snobby but I don't care :P I generally prefer the bitter style of India Pale Ale's (Stone Ruination being the king) , but I enjoy any well crafted beer.

My favorite liquor has always been high quality Tequila, (Penca Azul, Don Maguey, Corzo to name a few).

Other than beer and tequila I am not much of a drinker, and when I do drink it is for the taste more than to get wasted.

Then I found Absinthe :)

Quick (or not) summary of my Absinthe journey so far:

I first had a taste of the Green Fairy back in the late 90's at a friends apartment. He was on leave from the military (stationed in Spain) and had brought back several bottles of Absinthe, but apparently no real knowledge of how to drink it. No fire, no ice water, we just took several shots of it straight up... I remember it tasting very much like liquorice and burning. I had three shots and got a decent buzz, but nothing that special, so I forgot about Absinthe for many years.

Then a few months ago at my weekly poker game a friend brought up Absinthe; he had seen it on the shelf in the local liquor store. I was intrigued and being the diligent nerd that I am did some research and found this site. Thus began my proper Absinthe journey!

First bottle was Lucid, I know, not the best, but it was the only brand I had written down that the store had and it came with a spoon. :P

I liked the taste, although in retrospect it was a bit one dimensional compared to the other brands I have tried since.

After 2 glasses with sugar I discovered that I do not like any sugar in my Absinthe, as it seems to hide the taste a bit too much for me.

After the Lucid, I ventured to the bigger liquor store near my house, but unfortunately the only other decent one they sold was Kübler. The Kübler was much better tasting than Lucid, more flavor, and dimension. It gave me a hint of the complexity that was awaiting me in high quality Absinthe.

Armed with more research and reviews, I made the plunge and ordered 2 bottles from Drink Up New York: Ridge Verte, and Pacifique.

Wow, my first glass of Ridge was stunning, the complexity of tastes balanced together perfectly... almost indescribably good, words do not do it justice... That fist taste of Ridge opened up my mind and palette to the wonderful world of quality Absinthe.

The Pacifique is amazing as well, but different tasting than the Ridge. I am very impressed with both bottles.

I appreciate this site as it proved a valuable resource in my crusade for truth. Now when friends or family ask what the hell I'm drinking I can correctly explain the history and properties of Absinthe, including the ever important "it does not make you trip", which is the first question everyone asks :P

Absinthe does give me a different alcohol buzz than any other liquor/spirit/beer, but as I learned, that has nothing to do with the thujone content...

Thanks to The Wormwood Society, I easily found proof that thujone has next to nothing to do with the Absinthe buzz. Various research papers on the subject, including the GC scans of Pre and Post-Ban Absinthe, and lengthy discussions helped further my knowledge. This kind of information is vital to counter the common myths that most people believe are true. Its hard to argue with science :)

Whew, that was much longer than I intended hope some of you are still with me :P

I am looking for recommendations on my next bottle or two, if anything comes to mind based on what you have read please let me know.

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who had a hand in creating The Wormwood Society, you guys and gals did a hell of a good job!

Chris

Welcome Chris, I am a newcomer to this site, as well. I ended up going for the gold without stopping at Lucid or Kübler and bought "Meadow of Love" from Delaware Phoenix distillery here in upstate New York. Its made in small batches from locally grown herbs in a beautiful, sculptural copper still. It can be ordered from Catskill Cellars. If you get the chance t try it, go for it. It comes highly recommended by the experienced absintheurs you will soon be meeting here at WS.

Excellent intro thread, Chris. You hit every quality point beginning with "research." (Your remarks concern Ridge and Pacifique are very nice. B) )

Baubel is not only knowledgeable but a first class gentleman (and his girl a wonderful Lady). Given the opportunity, I strongly urge you to share a drink with him.

Welcome to the Forum. :cheers:

You can always count on having a drink on baubel. He is a great guy.

Welcome! :cheers:

Ooooooh. Don't make me laugh at a critical time either or the drinks will be on the house, via nasal appraisal.

Edited by baubel

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Mourningstar thanks for the recommendation, I have read some great reviews of Meadow, cant wait to crack a bottle open :)

baubel, looking forward to tipping a glass with you sometime! BTW are you a fan of Breaking Bad at all? I like how it captures the true essence of Albuquerque and not some Hollywood directors vision of the city. Its also a hell of a good show!

Joe and Jules, I don't know how you guys make Ridge taste so good, but keep it up! Your dedication to quality spirits is refreshing in an age of cheap mass produced swill.

Going to louche up a glass of Pacifique and relax to some Coltrane, take it easy folks :)

Research, good taste, and proper grammar and spelling? Are you sure you're new? Either way, welcome! :cheerz:

Joe and Jules, I don't know how you guys make Ridge taste so good, but keep it up!

I think it's because of their massive, state of the art distillery. :laugh:

Joe and Jules, I don't know how you guys make Ridge taste so good, but keep it up! Your dedication to quality spirits is refreshing in an age of cheap mass produced swill.

:blush: Thanks, Man. You don't know how much that means to us. The good folks here at WS have been our guides and mentors. What we do well is a tribute to all of them.

I think it's because of their massive, state of the art distillery. :laugh:

Wha?

You don't like metal buildings the size of postage stamps? ;) :heart:

You don't like metal buildings the size of postage stamps? ;) :heart:

Big enough to pile 6 or 7 of your favorite people inside!

Peridot might... I hear the metal building as we speak.

Groan...