97 replies to this topic

#61 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

Founders Breakfast Stout

Poems by Dylan Thomas:

In My Craft or Sullen Art; On a Wedding Aniversary; And Death Shall Have No Dominion; Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night; Especially When The October Wind; and A Child's Christmas in Wales.
"Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so solvent and corrosive that out of all substances, it has been chosen for washing and scourings, and a drop of water, added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddies it."

#62 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

Maldoror (Third Canto) by Comte de Lautreamont
"Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so solvent and corrosive that out of all substances, it has been chosen for washing and scourings, and a drop of water, added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddies it."

#63 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

Poems by Ted Hughes:

The Thought Fox; Wind; The Horses; and The Black Beast.

#64 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

Poems by Seamus Heaney:

Mid-Term Break; Digging; Death of a Naturalist; The Early Purges; Casualty; and Follower.

Edited by Alfred Jarry, 08 October 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#65 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:01 AM

Poems by Robert Frost:

The Road Not Taken; Nothing Gold Can Stay; Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening; Fire and Ice; Mending Wall; The Cow In Apple-Time; and Pan With Us.

#66 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

For who would lose,
Though full of pain, this intellectual being,
Those thoughts that wander through eternity,
To perish rather, swallowed up and lost
In the wide womb of uncreated night,
Devoid of sense and motion?

- excerpt from Paradise Lost by John Milton

Experience, though noon auctoritee
Were in this world, is right ynogh for me
To speke of wo that is in mariage;
For, lordynges, sith I twelve yeer was of age,
Thonked be God that is eterne on lyve,
Housbondes at chirche dore I have had fyve, --
If I so ofte myghte have ywedded bee, --
And alle were worthy men in hir degree.

- excerpt from "The Wife of Bath's Tale - Prologue" from The Canterbury Tales

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by
madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at
dawn looking for an angry fix,
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient
heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the
machinery of night,

- excerpt from "Howl" by Allen Ginsburg

Who does not know Turner’s picture of the Golden Bough? The scene, suffused with the golden glow of imagination in which the divine mind of Turner steeped and transfigured even the fairest natural landscape, is a dream-like vision of the little woodland lake of Nemi— “Diana’s Mirror,” as it was called by the ancients. No one who has seen that calm water, lapped in a green hollow of the Alban hills, can ever forget it. The two characteristic Italian villages which slumber on its banks, and the equally Italian palace whose terraced gardens descend steeply to the lake, hardly break the stillness and even the solitariness of the scene. Diana herself might still linger by this lonely shore, still haunt these woodlands wild.

- excerpt from The Golden Bough by Sir James George Frazer

Edited by Alfred Jarry, 09 October 2012 - 02:12 AM.

#67 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

The Inferno by August Strindberg

Edited by Alfred Jarry, 09 October 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#68 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Pan by Knut Hamsun

#69 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Caesar Antichrist

#70 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,666 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Youse shure is one intellekshull muthafuckah, dead guy. :euro: :euro: :euro:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#71 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

We find it beneficial to build up the burnt-out brain cells (from booze) with books. :biggrin:

Edited by Alfred Jarry, 13 October 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#72 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

Just finished You Only Live Twice; now starting The Man with the Golden Gun. I have been reading all the Bond Novels and aim to finish before November 7th, 2012 ( The 50th Anniversary of the Bond Franchise) After the man With the Golden Gun comes Octopussy and the Living Daylights (the last two short story books of the series, and I will read the extra short stories that Fleming wrote. :thumbup:
Laissez le bon temps rouler!
L' Huere Verte! C'est le bon temps!
Absinthe! Comme c'est la douceur de vivre!

#73 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

Dialogues With Marcel Duchamp by Pierre Cabanne

#74 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Artaud Anthology

#75 Bon Bock

Bon Bock

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

About to louche some Lucid and finishing up "The Death of Olivier Becaille", a short story by Emile Zola.
"I sit at my door, smoking a cigarette and sipping my absinthe, and I enjoy every day without a care in the world." - Paul Gauguin

#76 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

Gerard de Nerval: Selected Writings

We can always admire a man that takes his pet lobster for a walk in the Palais-Royal gardens in Paris. :euro:

#77 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

“Why should a lobster be any more ridiculous than a dog? ...or a cat, or a gazelle, or a lion, or any other animal that one chooses to take for a walk? I have a liking for lobsters. They are peaceful, serious creatures. They know the secrets of the sea, they don't bark, and they don't gnaw upon one's monadic privacy like dogs do. And Goethe had an aversion to dogs, and he wasn't mad.” - Gérard de Nerval

Edited by Alfred Jarry, 21 October 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#78 The Mad Apiarist

The Mad Apiarist

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

"Gravity's Rainbow" by Thomas Pychon and absinthe, a match made in heaven... a very surrealist heaven at least!

#79 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Nonsense! Everyone knows that book goes best with a banana breakfast! :biggrin:

Edited by Alfred Jarry, 19 November 2012 - 09:16 AM.

#80 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,666 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Nonsense! Everyone knows that book goes best with a banana breakfast of champions! :biggrin:

Betterer. B)

#81 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

a banana breakfast of champions

Somewhere in this world there is a man named Thomas Vonnegut, or, perhaps, Kurt Pynchon. And he alone could author a book with such a title. And no one would ever know if he was being serious about his name or not.

#82 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

The Uncomfortable Dead by Subcomandante Marcos & Paco Ignacio Taibo II

#83 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:16 AM

"Gravity's Rainbow" by Thomas Pychon and absinthe, a match made in heaven... a very surrealist heaven at least!

That is one mother of a book.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#84 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,666 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

Indeed.

#85 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

The Master and Margarita.

#86 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

just finished White Guard (Bulgakov), I'm about to start Petersburg by Andrei Bely. :thumbup:

#87 Viseguy

Viseguy

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

just finished White Guard (Bulgakov), I'm about to start Petersburg by Andrei Bely. :thumbup:

One of the 20th century's great novels. Read it in college; long overdue for a reread. Enjoy.
Viseguy

#88 Harlequin

Harlequin

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

I am thinking of drinking absinthe and finishing up The Devil in the White City. It's for a book club. Or I may read a little Anne Sexton. Not for a book club.

Edited by Harlequin, 07 January 2013 - 11:49 PM.

#89 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,666 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

The Devil in the White City.

Ah, the original psycho "Holmes".

Edited by Absomphe, 08 January 2013 - 04:47 AM.

#90 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

http://www.oxygenee....nk/ritual3.html  :dribble:  :blink:

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic