• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#31 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

No shit, huh. He might enjoy Tim's wife, but that would not work in an A. Jarry biopic.

#32 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,718 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

Well, perhaps if they fornicated on "that which rolls." :laugh:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#33 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

I need to read more of Alfred's prose.

Here are some freebies for you. :laugh:

Ubu Roi - It's a movie. But we are rather certain that reading the subtitles (which are off in some spots) is sufficient, and will suffice. Note: You'll have to download the movie in order to activate the subtitles.

The Exploits and Opinions of Dr. Faustroll, Pataphysician - Published only after our death, it presents before the viewer our pataphysical perspective: our "science of imaginary solutions". Note: "Download PDF" link is below cover image.

The Passion Considered as an Uphill Bicycle Race - Self-explanatory, really.

We also recommend the non-freebies:

The Garden of Priapus; The Supermale; The Ubu Plays; Visits of Love; Days and Nights; The Exploits and Opinions of Dr. Faustroll, Pataphysician; and Absolute Love; and Caesar Antichrist.

Edited by Alfred Jarry, 09 May 2012 - 04:37 PM.

"Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so solvent and corrosive that out of all substances, it has been chosen for washing and scourings, and a drop of water, added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddies it."

#34 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

Meadow of Love :heart:

Dada Manifesto 1918 by Tristan Tzara :thumbup:

Edited by Alfred Jarry, 15 May 2012 - 06:34 PM.

"Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so solvent and corrosive that out of all substances, it has been chosen for washing and scourings, and a drop of water, added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddies it."

#35 thickasabrick

thickasabrick

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

On the Road - the Original Scroll (because the censored/published version doesn't have enough debauchery ;) )

Drinking water because I've had too much debauchery . . .
When life gives you lemons, garnish your martini.
When life gives you honey, trade it for some lemons.

#36 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Well, perhaps if they fornicated on "that which rolls."

I like that which swims.

I like Jarry shooting bottles off the wall, and the neighbor lady complaining, after which Jarry advised her that if her children should be so unfortunate as to catch a bullet, he would be happy to help her produce more chidren.

I like the Kevin Smith movie in which one of the characters wears an Alfred Jarry tee shit, Alfred looking like the night bird that he wished he was.

Edited by Artemis, 15 May 2012 - 07:33 PM.

#37 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

The MacAllen 15 'Fine Oak'.

'Guns, Germs, and Steel: The fates of human societies', Jared Diamond.

I had to get out of the 19th centuy for a few days. Shoulda gone 'light' them. Love J. Diamond, but 'a break' he never is. Finished 'Collapse' a few months ago. Shoulda learned...

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#38 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

I wouldn't exactly call it "sipping" but...

L'Italienne and the 13th installment of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series: The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection.

And yes, I've read them all.
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#39 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,718 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series: The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection.

And yes, I've read them all.

Why does this not surprise me in the least. :harhar:

Edited by Absomphe, 16 May 2012 - 02:49 PM.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#40 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,730 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

A spicy verte and selected poems of Yehuda Amichai.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#41 abaxial

abaxial

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

L'Ancienne and China Miéville's Perdido Street Station. Tryin' to kick a sore throat and general malaise

#42 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

I'm in KC, so I, of course, we t to Arthur Bryant's. Which means I ate waaaaay too much BBQ. So much so that even I can't drink anything.

But...

Reading "how nations fail", by Acemoglu and Robinson. Been dying to read it for months. Hasn't let me down yet.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#43 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

Wicked Wolf Coffee

McClelland Premium Aromatics: Best of Show

Sediment by C.F.

Edited by Alfred Jarry, 20 August 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#44 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

Wicked Wolf Coffee

Peepo Choo (Vol. 3) by Felipe Smith

Wonton Soup (Vol. 2) by James Stokoe

Sharknife (Vol. 2) by Corey Lewis

Edited by Alfred Jarry, 21 August 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#45 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

I'm 3,000 miles from home, visiting family and friends. When I first moved, it was a because of a job transfer that came though faster than expected. I ended up leaving all of my DVDs, CDs, and books in storage. I had a chance to peruse through them to ship stuff back home today. I found The Ubu Plays and Supermale (Exploits and Opinions of Dr. Faustroll, Pataphysician was one I took with me when I first moved), and as soon as I finish typing this I'm going to go back to reading the annotated version of Howl. No absinthe in this house, so I'm sipping some okay cognac.
"The decline of the aperitif may well be one of the most depressing phenomena of our time." -- Luis Bunuel

#46 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

Chateau St. Jean Cabernet Sauvignon

Asterios Polyp

#47 optional

optional

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Sipping: Jade Eddy
Reading: Medical biochemistry notes
Praying: for death

#48 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

Nice drink.
Notes are good.
Praying for perfection. Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#49 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

The Illuminations by Arthur Rimbaud

Edited by Alfred Jarry, 27 September 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#50 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

Obsello Special Reserve and Hawking's The Grand Design.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#51 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

Seventy-Three Poems by Paul Verlaine

#52 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

Ubu Roi & The Exploits and Opinions of Dr. Faustroll, Pataphysician

#53 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

Select quotes of Jacques Vache and Andre Breton:

Jacques Vache:

“Well then -- I see two ways of letting things take their course -- create one's own sensations with the help of a flamboyant collision of rare words -- not often, mind you -- or else neatly draw the angles, the squares, the entire geometry of feelings -- those of the moment, naturally.”

“You know the horrible life of the alarm clock – it’s a monster that has always appalled me because of the number of things its eyes project, and the way that good fellow stares at me when I enter a room.”

“Black Humor (Umor): a sensation --of the theatrical (and joyless) pointlessness of everything.”

“My dream just now is to wear a red shirt, a red cravat and high boots — and to belong to a pointless Chinese secret society in Australia.”

Andre Breton:

“Everything tends to make us believe that there exists a certain point of the mind at which life and death, the real and the imagined, past and future, the communicable and the incommunicable, high and low, cease to be perceived as contradictions.”

“The man who cannot visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot.”

#54 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

Poems by Dylan Thomas

#55 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

Poems by Seamus Heaney

#56 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

Ubu Roi & The Exploits and Opinions of Dr. Faustroll, Pataphysician

#57 Strange Botwin

Strange Botwin

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

Jade NO and a little Kafka. Nothing seems as appropriate on a presidential debate night. God bless you, Franz. You died far too young.
I voluntarily inflicted a certain level of insanity on myself - Jonathan Franzen

#58 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

For dessert: some La Coquette, followed with Perroquet as a main entry, and some Berthe de Joux as an early evening appetizer. :cheerz:

Select Poems of Arthur Rimbaud

#59 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

Maldoror (First Canto) by Comte de Lautreamont

#60 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Maldoror (Second Canto) by Comte de Lautreamont

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association