MrGreenGenes

Fountain Making

:) The fountain you posted earlier really captured the 18th century persona of absinthe and will use it as a guideline when I make my next one. You have also sparked an interest in me to seek the ceramic maker.

They used to have these at Alandia (the only thing I'd recommend them for) but apparently they've been discontinued.  I haven't seen them anywhere else.

gold_lg.gif

In looking back through this thread, I found this post of Hiram's from January, checked Alandia, and found them back in stock. I got a pair, even though they seem so delicate. They may shatter into tiny fragments in my drunken grip some night, but they're going to look magnificent right up until that moment...

That's the kind of thinking that ends with cable spools as coffee tables. :harhar:

I'm an artist and visually sensitive to things like aesthetics, so I understand the need for a "fancy" fountain. Not that there's anything at all wrong with a 2 liter pop bottle with the top cut off and a needle valve stuck on it, but that just wouldn't work for me for long.

I used a gallon water jug instead of a soda bottle,

but the same idea, and it's worked quite well for 2 years now too.

Though I did cave slightly and get a 4 spigot Guy foutain.

I think just a little short. My thought was a cover from an antique coffee vac-pot like this. Not quite enough, story of my life!

Keep me on the list for prototypes, as I have no fountain as of yet. Beg-Beg

:drunk: I went to a bottled water store a while back and found the water container, I removed the push button spigot and replaced it with the current one. The base is a candle holder I purchased at Target, epoxyed both together and wahla. While it is simple and quite functional it doesn't hold the aesthetics of a finely constructed fountain made by an Artist. As for glassware, I leave that to Artists with more experience than I.

You're too hard on yourself. I think that is far beyond a laymen's attempt (hope that doesn't offend). Very nice indeed. Like you said in your earlier post, H20 minus a leak + slow drip is the prime objective, no? Maybe a glass globe would lend itself more to the traditional. I might be looking at my 2 vac pots closer to see what my Dremel can do....Big absinthe party-bong to Trip-Balz!

:cheers: There are so many retail outlets that offer objects that can be combined together to build an inexpensive fountain.

My fountain works good and should last me a long time until I get tired of this:North American Eagle This little beauty was tested where I work.

Then I may build another.

While it is simple and quite functional it doesn't hold the aesthetics of a finely constructed fountain made by an Artist. As for glassware, I leave that to Artists with more experience than I.

I hope you don't think I was slamming you there, Wrayalien. I was actually referring to G&C's former fountain, and as I said, there's nothing wrong with improvising.

I use the exact same infusion jar as a fountain. I've got a couple of them.

I drink Absinthe because I like it. I'm not into the "mystique", antiques or playing at historical re-enactments. So a home-made fountain made from a plastic bottle or a cheap infusion jar is fine with me. As long as the jar is clean, the water is cold, and the Absinthe is louching, I'm happy.

Just thought I'd post a follow-up pic for the post I made here earlier about the glasses from Alandia. Now that I have them, I realize that they almost certainly have to have been made as part of a set with my Lemercier fountain. The shapes of the reservoirs, the proportions and the thin, delicate quality of the glass are all the same. The stems twist in precisely the same way.

post-209-1132033694_thumb.jpg

Florida, USA.

Go figure...

It's unquestionably an original , judging from the the thick, rubbery quality to the surface of the image, and the canvas texture beneath , visible in the few cracks from aging.

It must have been stored in the dark, because the colors are really strong. I've seen them on ebay, and at least in the photographs, they always look heavily faded. The frame is old, but I have no idea if it's original.