MrGreenGenes

Fountain Making

I finally made it to Seattle Pottery Supply for little spigots, and I now have a functioning absinthe fountain.

The glass jar is from Winslow Hardware on Bainbridge Island and was about $12. The spigots are $7.99 each at Seattle Pottery. The 5/8" glass drill bit was about $12 and the cherry wood base was laying around my house.

The most difficult part is drilling the hole through the glass. It takes forever and I was paranoid about cracking the glass, which happened on my first attempt, so I really should include another $12 for the first vessel that cracked. I chose a vessel with flat sides because I thought the spigot would make a leak-free seal, but on second thought a curved surface would be stronger & less likely to crack.

Later this week I''ll drill another hole to intall the another spigot, so that I can prepare absinthe for two. I hope it doersn't crack.

post-32-1103649988.jpg

Edited by MrGreenGenes

If you get a set of bits, you can minimize the cracking by starting with the smallest bit to drill a pilot hole and then working your way up. Believe it or not, it's faster.

Why stop at two spigots? It's got four sides, you got yourself a party fountain!

I finally made it to Seattle Pottery Supply for little spigots, and I now have a functioning absinthe fountain.

that looks awesome! i really need to get my ass in gear and make a fountain,i'm tired of the carafe method.

The secret of the carafe method is to pour just enough water on the sugar to soak it and then let it sit for a few minutes. Go back and pour a little more, see if the sugar is falling apart yet. Repeat as necessary. It takes pretty much the same amount of time as a slow drip, but you gotta have zen.

If you don't have a fountain, the best method is the bicycle water bottle (as shown in my avatar). You have good control over the drip, and if you're not a cyclist who has a pile of these with your bike doo-doo, they cost about $5.

The only problem is that you have to hold it the whole time and pay attention, and it doesn't look very classy to friends who own $200 martini sets.

Concave, yes...

but what? Shape? Material?

With a bit of ice and water in it I imagine it would be heavy enough to stay put. If I could find a chafing dish base sized right that might be a trick.

Edited by volpane

Put it in a hanging basket wherever you plan on drinking and be extremely unique. Then accessorize your entire home with funny little hooks in the ceiling. Or make a stand. :headbang:

Did you drill the hole yourself?

No, it is hand blown glass and my guess is the spigot hole was formed before the glass cooled. You can see the build up of glass around the hole for strength.

Unfortunately the hand blown nature of the glass precludes drilling more spigots.