MrGreenGenes

Fountain Making

Yeah, I love watching all the greedy buffet diners wrestling with their crab legs so they can maximize their dinner value. So much effort for such a meager reward.

Lobster, on the other hand, can be well worth the tussle.

Btw, very nice and innovative design, Otun! :cheers:

Btw, very nice and innovative design, Otun! :cheers:

Thanx, I'm thinking of using the little angel stand in the back for my next fountain stand.. what do you guys think?

5489_119281635993_519640993_2513981_6866712_n.jpg

This is a "Cherub free" zone. J/K

It looks like it may be more stable than your current candlestick and will match the spigots better.

It looks like it may be more stable than your current candlestick and will match the spigots better.

:laf: I guess the Cherub is not a good idea.... btw is an empty liquor bottle not a candlestick... thanx for the input

Hi otun!

Innovative, makeshift design indeed... :)

I was thinking you could always help stabilizing the base by filling the empty liquor bottle with something, e.g. some nicely coloured water, or coloured sand... Or quicksilver.

:laf: I guess the Cherub is not a good idea.... btw is an empty liquor bottle not a candlestick... thanx for the input

Hunh. An empty liquor bottle? I thought it was the base of a bong. Well, at least it resembled one I saw on TV once.

I was thinking you could always help stabilizing the base by filling the empty liquor bottle with something, e.g. some nicely coloured water, or coloured sand... Or quicksilver.

Or Good-n-Plenty. :pirate:

Just kidding. I like that idea, you could always change it out seasonally or something.

Hi otun!

Innovative, makeshift design indeed... :)

Hi thanx... yes I've been pondering about that... I just don't know what to put in it... or haven't made up my mind...

I cheated and bought one... :blush:

But I did make an unboxing/assembly video for the silly fun of it! I put it up on my site, and it's got a delightful Arty* Shaw medley soundtrack (which almost makes it worth watching! ha!).

I think the next logical step is a series of louche videos... oh yes, I'm unstoppable now. B)

*Crap. Shame on me for being sloppy. Sorry, Artie.

Thank you! :cheers:

(The video had a typo at the end, so if it's not immediately available, do check back. I was able to repair my mistake and re-upload to the same url.)

So how do I know what kind of spigot to purchase?? I have determined it is time to make my own, which basically involves any glass, some sort of stand and the right spigot. Just need to know which specific spigot y'all recommend!

Well...now that you've gotten me started...

This one is okay. :devil:

Seriously though, Prettywood tea co. has a decent selection...if yer willing to pay twice what Aftosa used to sell them at. They can be found here.

Personally, I prefer ye olde brass bad boy, but you might have a different preference.

Prettywood throws in a plastic gasket which is thicker than the screw diameter, so you might have to adjust for that, but some food grade silicone or bubilicious bubble gum supposedly seals up leaks, lickety spit. :cheers:

Aftosa used to sell em for ~$7.99 dependin' upon how many one was ordering, so that's why I'm a little...wormwoody. ;)

I've seen some cool looking antiques on ebay and at antique stores...so that might be an option as well.

Well...now that you've gotten me started...

This one is okay. :devil:

Seriously though, Prettywood tea co. has a decent selection...if yer willing to pay twice what Aftosa used to sell them at. They can be found here.

Personally, I prefer ye olde brass bad boy, but you might have a different preference.

Prettywood throws in a plastic gasket which is thicker than the screw diameter, so you might have to adjust for that, but some food grade silicone or bubilicious bubble gum supposedly seals up leaks, lickety spit. :cheers:

Aftosa used to sell em for ~$7.99 dependin' upon how many one was ordering, so that's why I'm a little...wormwoody. ;)

I've seen some cool looking antiques on ebay and at antique stores...so that might be an option as well.

So I could probably pick something like this up at HomeDepot?

I don't think so, but if you've got the time check. I searched most, but not all of the local hardware stores, including HomeDepot, but wasn't able to find any. It was particularly frustrating to come across brass garden faucets/spigots, clearly twice the amount of metal being sold for $2-6, while Prettywood charges so damned much.

You could look at local art/hobby stores. They might have some. There's a clay supply store here in Alb that has plastic spigots for water dispensers, but not the metal ones. Any stores like that in your area might be different though.

If you've got the time, try some antique stores. I found several old water jugs at several stores, some had spigots but they were a design I didn't dig.

I don't think so, but if you've got the time check. I searched most, but not all of the local hardware stores, including HomeDepot, but wasn't able to find any. It was particularly frustrating to come across brass garden faucets/spigots, clearly twice the amount of metal being sold for $2-6, while Prettywood charges so damned much.

You could look at local art/hobby stores. They might have some. There's a clay supply store here in Alb that has plastic spigots for water dispensers, but not the metal ones. Any stores like that in your area might be different though.

If you've got the time, try some antique stores. I found several old water jugs at several stores, some had spigots but they were a design I didn't dig.

You're right.. Nothing at HD....

Guess it's going to have to be one of those long term projects.. First thing Im going to need to do is order one of these friggin' spigots online I guess.. :( Luscious Oily Lesbians!

Hunh. An empty liquor bottle? I thought it was the base of a bong. Well, at least it resembled one I saw on TV once.

Wait.....that IS NOT a bong?

It ain't fancy but it works!

We have 2.5 gallon water jugs SIMILAR (not exactly the same) as this: http://www.mistymountainspringwater.com/me...-gallon-jug.jpg ... .In our fridge.

I usually do the following to make my absinthe: pour absinthe, take glass to fridge and pull the little spout on the 2.5gallon of water just enough to cause a drip. I then walk away for a few minutes...

The problem with this is 1. its not ICE cold... its just fridge cold.... and 2. I sometimes forget about the glass and then I get an overflow!

So, I took this free plastic container that came with our Oster blender (i think its for like a 'shake on the go' or something) and I took the little spout off of an empty 2.5gallon water jug we used and I cut a hole in the Oster container and put the spout in the hole... I gluegunned the spout to keep it from leaking and now I have a small, portable absinthe fountain that I can put ice in and everything.

It aint fancy but it was basically free.

photo-1.jpg

The price was right and everybody should have a glue gun. I also keep 5 minute epoxy around for those days when glue just doesn't quite get it done.

Crafty stuff adamnsmith. *thumbs up*

That's good old classic absintheur ingenuity right there. Even with the fork to hold the sugar.

Now, how about hopping by here and introducing yourself?

It's my first post so here we go....

Three words, Drinking Straw Dispenser. Added a candle pillar and I have a non-glass me-proof fountain! (I'm not allowed to have nice things.) Did a bit of creative Velcro so the base is detachable.

post-1873-1266186057_thumb.jpg

and an action shot....

post-1873-1266186072_thumb.jpg

Pretty crafty and not hard on the eyes either. Nice job. Cheers!

Ooooopsy, forgot to mention it but could you ease over to the Newcomber Introduction and tell us a bit about yourself so that we can welcome you all proper like? It'd sure be swell. ;)

Thanks.