MrGreenGenes

Fountain Making

Speaking of separatory funnels, I found a wonderful little piece, perfect for making absomphesized glasses of absinthe. How do you like this?

f3a5_3.JPG

It measures an impressing 77 cm (30.3 inches) and weighs 4.3 kg...

And it can be yours! The auction ends in less than 19 hours...

Speaking of separatory funnels, I found a wonderful little piece, perfect for making absomphesized glasses of absinthe. How do you like this?

f3a5_3.JPG

It measures an impressing 77 cm (30.3 inches) and weighs 4.3 kg...

And it can be yours! The auction ends in less than 19 hours...

absomphesized: You add the absinthe up to the top of the panels and then add water?

absomphesized: You add the absinthe up to the top of the panels, and then pour it back into the bottle. :twitchsmile:

That would at least have been the definition until recently; word has it that our old friend has been enjoying an occasional glass lately. :cheers:

Otherwise: yes, like that. This piece would serve well as an Absomphe glass. More like a huge dispenser, then.

I realize that this is a decently old thread but I thought maybe there would be some new contributions.

Namely mine...

l_095c2df935dba04bb520d8767649d08a.jpg

I took a few people's advice and bought the Lowe's mouthwash dispenser (obviously) and a complimentary pedestal. I can't tell you how great it is to finally have a fountain for my favorite drink.

Thanks again guys for such an excellent tip!

-Beau

you know i've been wanting to make my own fountain since i can never find one i like. most of the fountains i see for sale are too antique looking and the one's that aren't are just kind of cheesy. i have a very modern style. very metropolitan. i like clean lines, nothing ornate. for me the most beautiful things are those who's form follows function. so if there are any of you out there who are like me check this out. i found this at pier 1 for $20.00. it's a candle holder and the top is the size of a 2 liter soda bottle and the stem is 9 3/4 inches tall. perfect for those taller glasses. i'm going to pick up a couple of the chrome versions of the spouts everyone's been using on their homemade fountains. i think it'll be the business when it's finished. now i just neeed to find a lid. something simple and clean. i'm going to see if i can find a stainless steel canister with a simple lid that'll fit. anyone have any ideas?

post-1763-1199241154_thumb.jpg

Edited by American Jambo

My first and still used from time to time. I chose the plastic one so I could cut the top off for easy icing.

[...](Removed image of plastic Separatory Funnel)

The whole thing was easy.

Hey, these plastic separatory funnels do work really well as drippers!

Finally got around to trying one I ordered a while ago.

It's not all sexy and steampunk, art deco, or anything. Still, does the job well.

Makes me feel like I should get a lab coat and protective glasses!

~Erik

I'm not even gonna ask what you do with a separator funnel at home. I have lab coat, glasses, clipboard and stuff to make your hair stick up at the ready at all times. One never knows....._40032936_muppet_henson_203.jpg

Hello, I have semi finished my Absinthe fountain. It still needs a top but that will come later. The jar is an antique from eBay (drilling glass is not fun) and the stand is made from three pre-made pieces from home depot. The glass jar is actually oval just like the base. I stained the base Ebony with a satin finish so that it doesn't detract from the green art deco'ish glass. Let me know what you think.

post-2072-1215910245_thumb.jpg

Edited by Garibaldi

I really like your use of the HD prefab wood pieces and then staining them. You're giving me ideas. :thumbup:

Great job! My only concern is the narrowness of the base. Maybe it is just the angle in the photo, but I don't want it to tip over and spill your drink!

Green is a great choice. :cheers:

Nice work Garibaldi. Reminds me of my own bit of kit. I haven't bothered fixing the stand to the jar because I can fill the jar with water and keep it permanently cool in the fridge. I got the jar on eBay as well complete with pre-attached spigot.

2388475385_1517aa5e2c.jpg

That damn half-assed glass foutain from La Maison d'Absinthe has now sprung a leak from one of the faucets. I need to get new metal faucets for that thing to replace the cheap plastic crap that came with the fountain. I guess I shouldn't have expected much more from a $40 fountain.

Meh. My $200 fountain also leaks. I'll try to tweak the little set screws from time to time but little drops of water still form and fall on the table. After breaking the glass in an unfortunate accident, I replaced it with a clear plastic container and now its drippy ass has been regulated to outdoors/travel status.

On the other hand, our ceramic fountain has performed flawlessly.

After a trip to Pier One, I have returned with the base materials for not one, not two, but three new home made fountains. The SO and I were having a ball in the store seeing fountains in so many things we examined. I will probably start drilling holes this weekend. Fingers crossed that I don't break anything.

One question I will throw out for your consideration: What glues can be used to attach a vase to a base? I am not wanting to use the silicone sealant for that purpose as it can show up through clear glass. I'm seeking something that will create a good grip between materials (in this case glass and glazed pottery) and dry clear. Options?

What Bill said.

There is a two part 5 minute epoxy that works very well.

I found when you mix them if you use more of the clear side then

the yellow side it will dry more transparent and still seems to have the

same strength.

We’ll be looking for some pictures, say Monday?