652 replies to this topic

#541 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:23 PM

We currently have 4 ceramic fountains and for different reasons, all are precious to us. The one on the Ridge blog was made in Seattle but you'd need to ask Gwydion for details. It is an extraordinary piece of work, weighing in about 600 pounds. I might be exaggerating on the weight.

#542 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

Check this out guys...Stainless steel taps and spigots. No lead to worry about! Scroll down, lots of stuff!

http://www.artisanba.....s+faucet.html

If you do a search for SS spigots, there are most likely other places to get these. Stainless is the only way to go.

#543 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

The problem I've seen with many sites like that is that you are playing roulette when you buy, since many of the spigots aren't sensitive enough to allow for slow drip rates.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#544 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

You need to find one that has a ball valve, not a gate valve. Then you'll have good control.

#545 ignis

ignis

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

I tried that site a while ago and they have what i was after but the price! oh man I thought they might be made of gold.
"I just want silence. Jesus, it doesn't mean I don't like you. It just means right now, I like silence more."

#546 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:43 AM

The Aftosa spigots work very well. Being the cheap Okie that I am, I sprayed a little silver paint on the thing and it looked fine. Sounds cheap but works wonderfully. I'd send pics but it's early and I gave the thing to some nice folks. A few folks have used the thing with no or very few complaints. ;)

A side note, I didn't use the big brass washers on any of the fountains I have built. I used a softer durometer o-ring for eye appeal. There is very little pressure on the thing and I've had more moisture from condensation drip to the table. You can always use aquarium sealant if you're concerned. It ain't rocket science or nuttin'. :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#547 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,735 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:33 AM

I've always had pretty good control with the aftosa spigots, ranging from one glass of absinthe per decade slow style drip to a faster flow if needed.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#548 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

I still use the aftosa spigots when I drink. That reminds me......I need to do some dusting. :dry:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#549 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,735 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:11 PM

Speaking of dusting, pm sent. ;)

#550 Kalleo

Kalleo

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

Well, I was scanning the Bed, Bath and Beyond site after seeing the two different people post about the spigot jar they had, and noticed that neither mentioned this, so I thought I should.

http://www.bedbathan...s...amp;RN=545

I suppose this is good for people who want a two spigot something or another but don't want to make it themselves, and it's cheaper than buying two of the other kind. Cheers! :cheers:
I can resist anything but temptation. -Oscar Wilde

#551 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,735 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

I came across these sigots last night. I was unaware that absinthe.de had spigots available for sale. They come in "gold" as well. I don't know how well they work, but thought I should point it out in case anyone is looking for spigots.

#552 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

Those look like plastic...you can even see the plating coming off in the photos. This says "for glass fountains," I suspect as replacements for the plastics ones they come with.

#553 painted bottle

painted bottle

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:33 AM

A porron isn't meant for absinthe but damn it works great, tried it out today.

Dis izza spigot.

I am going to have to try this! I've never thought of using my porron for absinthe.

Edited by painted bottle, 15 June 2011 - 07:48 PM.

edited for grammar, forgotten thoughts and references.

#554 painted bottle

painted bottle

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

(My first attempt using Flickr so if this image doesn't work let me know!)

Seeing as I am new, I am trying to keep a thin budget on my Absventure.... So here's my make-shift dripper!

Yes, this is an empty yogurt container with a hole poked in the bottom of it. Hey, it drips!

If I only put in enough water to give me the right ratio for my liking it is about 25 minutes (Luscious Oily Lesbians!)... But if I put more water than that, it would cause more pressure and drip faster causing it to fill quicker. But then I would need a way to 'plug the hole' as to not allow any more water to escape once my glass is filled.

Posted Image

:cheers:

There are so many great ideas in here.

#555 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

Amen to that. glad you dug that up, as I thought I was crazy by using a similar scheme. I use a smaller cup, with a hole along the bottom rim, that way it is spoon n sugar cube compatible.
With Pacifique (the very tasty booze in that photo), I'm lazy and just pour the cold water fast and with some height to it. then I let it sit while the mixture clouds up. The herb bits tend to collect at the top.

#556 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:35 AM

My first absinthe dripper:

Cut top third off plastic 2 liter soda bottle to make a cone.
Poke hole in cap with red hot paper clip.

#557 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,735 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:56 AM

I like both those ideas. A smaller plastic container might be a little easier to balance.

#558 painted bottle

painted bottle

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

A yogurt cup balanced on popsicle sticks. Kind of like the basket used in vietnamese iced coffee. Or you could just use that. Coffee with an absinthe aftertaste?

Edited by painted bottle, 15 June 2011 - 07:45 PM.

#559 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,735 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

I've heard of Café corretto with Sambuca, but never tried it. There's an absinthe liqueur with chocolate in it, and lots of people dig absinthe and dark chocolate.

#560 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:48 AM

I had a few corrretto spiked with Lemercier in Rome. Quite yummy.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#561 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:30 AM

Should we let these guys in on how close they are to absinthe fountain making?

It'd be perfect for my fridge.

Nevermind, they do have a pricey absinthe fountain. But their vodka infusion jars do look a lot cheaper, and just as functional.

Edited by Miguel, 24 June 2011 - 02:25 PM.

#562 Tang!

Tang!

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

Ask Hiram, he knows all about the whole masonry bit

TOO FUNNY! How is it that nobody else responded to that?

#563 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:41 PM

Nah, I read Gwydion retired from day to day masonry, and just supervises. baubel is the man for ceramic fountains, but I do not know if he is a mason, although he might as well be.

#564 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,735 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:36 PM

Nope. However, the Masonic discussions here had me thinking about it. If I had more free time I'd seriously consider it.

There's a very tiny and very unlikely chance my grandfather knew my girlfriend's grandfather from a few Masonic meetings though.

#565 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

Should we let these guys in on how close they are to absinthe fountain making?

It'd be perfect for my fridge.

Nevermind, they do have a pricey absinthe fountain. But their vodka infusion jars do look a lot cheaper, and just as functional.

For $38 as shipped the infusion jar is an awesome fountain. I just need to make a stand for it, but my bi level kitchen island did fine. They sell the spigots, so maybe I can experiment with the VC bottle when I finish the booze in it.
I'm very happy.

#566 Bushman

Bushman

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:18 AM

In my welcome introduction I stated I wanted to build a fountain. I found a vendor that sells absinthe fountains along with everything else. He sent me 5 spigots from returned absinthe fountains for the price of shipping $5.00. I guess people take them out of the box by the spigots and break them off. The spigots are in good shape and since I have a sculpture building my fountain out of glass the spigots will go directly in the glass so no problem with the attachment to the base being broken. Otherwise they function great. Pictures to come once I get the spigots to him (he lives in a different city).

#567 WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

After reading through this thread one starts to view things in the home with a new intention. I noticed this "thing" that had been on the counter for some time with absolutely no purpose. When I spotted it today a fountain immediately came to mind. Upon closer inspection there seems to be cracks throughout the glass. Would this happen to be some characteristic of the type of glass or just a useless vaselette?

Attached File  jar.jpg   92.8KB   11 downloads

#568 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

Anyone care to share tips & experiences making your own absinthe fountain?

A country boy can survive

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#569 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

Awesome.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#570 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Absinthe and Poland Springs Water, 1907: source

Posted Image

Edited by TheLoucheyMonster!, 18 January 2012 - 09:12 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association