Absinthe Libertine 55

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Harry

Harry

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:42 AM

.....i just received the email newsletter from Absinthe.DE......

......and September's special is Absinthe Libertine 55.

........i didn't see any reviews on WS....

....... has anyone tried it? is it worth purchasing?

#2 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,966 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:03 AM

I haven't tried Libertine in years. Years ago, Libertine 68 (or was it 72?) was pretty good and I enjoyed a couple of bottles. At that time, the other Libertines were not highly regarded and if memory serves, was an oil mix. I don't think that's the case any longer. If I was looking to round out an order, I'm sure I might throw a bottle into the shopping cart if the price was right. That's not much help. Perhaps someone with a fresher memory can clear mine up. :cheers:

#3 Harry

Harry

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:14 AM

....thank you for the information, Joe............

.....i'm completely in the dark on this one......

......i've become totally dependent on the WS reviews ......

#4 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,596 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:05 AM

is it worth purchasing?

By today's absinthe standards, I'd have to say no.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#5 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:14 AM

Agreed.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#6 Harry

Harry

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:30 AM

...again.....thank you, gentlemen.......

........i saved some money.......

#7 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

:cheers:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#8 shady2001

shady2001

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:28 AM

Just leaving my review here as I think there are some specials on this brand and some folks may consider picking it up...

Libertine 55 on an extremely warm summer night, 30 ml with ice cold fountain drip, sugared.

Appearance:

One of the lighter shades of green, almost olive to the eye, and slightly undercoloured

Louche:

An incredible louche going almost opaque by 1:1. Massive, billowy clouds permeate through the drink even at a slow drip, with very few oil trails noticeable because of the extremely rapid action. It seems a bit too thick to be true.

Aroma:

Nothing very discernible when neat, but opens up gradually with water. Anise hits the nose first, followed by the slightest touch of alcohol.

Taste:

A slickly, creamy mouthfeel, with a picquant spicy head that segues into the lightest of wormwood notes. Even at 55%, a bit of heat. Heavy liquorice and astringency follows afterwards. Subdued herbaciousness, mostly one-dimensional, this one is undoubtedly best sugared because of the sharp anise dominance.

Finish:

Long spicy finish, with tongue getting gradually number by the sip.

Overall Impressions:

There's something about this absinthe that makes it quite pleasant at the start, but by halfway through the glass you cannot but help feel that you've been hit by a ten-megaton spicy anise bomb. Palate was very very numb at the end of the session, such that a post-drinking Burger King whopper did not taste like much (!!) Every Czech's nightmare absinthe. If, however, you do enjoy the taste of anise in your drink, which is after all what absinthe traditionally is of course, then give Libertine 55 a try. Needs balance, but for the price, you really cannot complain. Give it a go.

3 out of 5 stars

#9 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,252 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

The "oil trails" misnomer just won't die, will it?

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#10 Wormwoad

Wormwoad

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

Libertine 55 is good if you have a tight budget - it's not often the most expensive option (at least, in Europe).
Since life is unfair and we can't have new stocks of Le Grenouille or Jade products on hand all the time, spending about 30 euros for a Libertine 55 is not a bad option if you are without many options. I know some of my trusted distributors are often out of stock of the bottles I want, so I opt for Libertine sometimes.

Personally I enjoy it but wouldn't call it a 'high-end' product by any means, hence the price. I've had many relaxing evenings with it and it was one of the first decent bottles I had ever bought, so maybe I have a connection to it because of that?

My only real complaint was that the louche was TOO quick. I like to watch it happen gradually. If you have a sugar cube dissolved 75%, but not 100%, that's my preferred way to drink this stuff. If you drink it without sugar the anise portion can be a little overpowering indeed, like in our friend's review above.

I personally don't have the most picky taste for how 'balanced' an absinthe is, because 'balance' to me is a subjective thing... so I enjoy it for what it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association