#31 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,419 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

No such thing as too much ginger... :devil:

Or Eric or Jack, for that matter. B)

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#32 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:56 PM

Let's just leave it as "no such thing as too much..." :dev-cheers:

Edited by Tatan (Evan Camomile), 20 September 2011 - 03:56 PM.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#33 odiedog52

odiedog52

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:50 PM

I'll be making my own grenadine soon, does anyone know where I can buy some cool bottles for syrups online? I'm looking for something that looks nice. Kind of like these maybe: http://ww1.prweb.com.....p bottles.jpg

For use with other syrups, infusions, etc as well. Something like this could work, but I'm looking for something maybe a bit more elegant and less like a vinegar bottle. I didn't think of checking oil or vinegar bottles, but I'll check them .. in the meantime, any suggestions?

http://www.google.co...CMAA#ps-sellers

Or perhaps a cheaper version of this: http://www.google.co...CMAQ#ps-sellers

But I can't spend $30 on one .. sheesh!

Edited by odiedog52, 22 September 2011 - 06:07 PM.

www.MutineerMagazine.com

#34 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:26 PM

Why not some 375ml ice wine bottles? I think they're cool as hell. I've been using the frost for a liqueur I'm playing with. I know you can get them in green, clear and cobalt blue, too.

Let's just leave it as "no such thing as too much..." :dev-cheers:

That's not what she said.

The ginger beer is really good but the low sugar kills the fizz,of course. However, talk about over the top, sear your throat ginger! The Gin Gin Mule I just made is pretty darn tasty although not as effervescent as I would like. I upped the simple syrup and I'm happy to drink every drop but some bubbles would make my day.

#35 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:40 PM

Splash o' soda water? One of these?

For bottles...
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#36 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:45 PM

Yep. Got one and they're great but I was in a hurry. :blush:

#37 odiedog52

odiedog52

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

Splash o' soda water? One of these?

For bottles...

Thanks! And thanks Joe! I think I'll be able to figure something out .. but, of course, still open to ideas!

Just got my Sodastream Penguin a week or so ago, and my brother has one as well, he loves it. He'll take fresh squeezed orange juice and fill a glass a quarter of the way up with it and then top it with soda water. Or soda water and lemon rings with a little mint or other seasonal herb.
www.MutineerMagazine.com

#38 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

:nono:

Are they a pain to use? I've pondered whether it's worth getting one or not...I do so love effervescence.

Every time I go to that bottle site I'm reminded how I want to buy some of all of them...

Website | Blog | Twitter

#39 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

A pain? Nah, easy as pie and works like a champ. One charge canister has lasted us at least 6 months. It hasn't paid for itself yet but it is getting damn close.

#40 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

Maybe I'll put one on my Christmas non-denominational winter holiday wish list. :g:

Website | Blog | Twitter

#41 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:30 PM

Mr. Stone, I used a modified version of your simple syrup recepie (4:1) water to sugar, to feed hummingbirds. they loved it more than the store bought stuff (store bough 1-2 birds at feeder, watery simple syrup 4-6 birds at feeder, and lasting half as long)

We had run out of the store bought, and kid was upset the birds didn't have food. I remembered reading your instructions, and using them as a goby replaced the food without a 40 minute round trip to the store. and the price of a bit of sugar and heat.

#42 odiedog52

odiedog52

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

:nono:

Are they a pain to use? I've pondered whether it's worth getting one or not...I do so love effervescence.

Every time I go to that bottle site I'm reminded how I want to buy some of all of them...

Just two to three very easy pushes of a button ... and you have carbonated water.
www.MutineerMagazine.com

#43 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

I must say, it is a spicy little vixen. :devil:

I love it when you talk about me that way.
I love my soda stream and I have to admit to penguin envy at this moment. Just sayin'.
I am the wood nymph.

#44 odiedog52

odiedog52

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:59 PM

Loving the penguin .. I just need some Collins glasses so I can make cocktails using the appropriate glassware.

Just picked up a carton of organic, dried tart cherries (pitted) from Whole Food and threw them in an airtight container and emptied a bottle of Evan Williams bourbon into it. I'll give it two weeks and give it a stir here and there .. can't wait to use them in my manhattans!

Also picked up some organic 100% pomegranate juice that I'll be reducing down into grenadine. I've heard of two methods of doing it, one is reducing with sugar over heat, the other is adding sugar and shaking the hell out of it. Not sure which way to go. Was also planning on using some for a pomegranate reduction for duck breast, but somehow it was impossible for me to find duck breast last night for dinner. Went with fresh halibut and a horseradish creme fraiche. yum.

I've got a black mission fig tree in the back yard that is just starting to ripen up for its second crop. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of drying some and soaking them in bourbon as well ... or infusing it with some liquor?

Edited by odiedog52, 26 September 2011 - 03:00 PM.

www.MutineerMagazine.com

#45 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

Fig bitters are the bomb. I could send you a recipe if you like. Fig infused spirits are great, as is fig syrup. As you can probably guess, ive played around a lot with them. :)
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#46 odiedog52

odiedog52

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:13 PM

I haven't made my own bitters yet ... but would love to .. and fig bitters would be a great intro. When you get a chance, definitely send them my way! I know you're busy, but hopefully we'll see some of your recipes up here soon! :pirate:
www.MutineerMagazine.com

#47 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:22 PM

Hey thats now officially legal in California!

Gov. Jerry Brown has made California safe for lemoncello lovers and imbibers of Martian Martinis, bacon bourbon, cucumber gin, Bloody Marys tingling with habanero vodka and even Mona Lisa Green Monsters, margaritas infused with medicinal marijuana.

Up until the Democratic governor signed SB 32 on September 21, any cocktails made with "infused" alcohol sold by bars and restaurants violated state law.

Efforts by the state to enforce the law cast a pall on the burgeoning market of designer — and ever more exotic — cocktails enhanced by adding myriad flavors to the alcohol.

"In San Francisco and other cities where tourism is critical to the local economy, restaurant owners have been asked to stop serving infused cocktails in the name of an outdated law written decades ago," said the bill's author, Sen. Mark Leno, a San Francisco Democrat.

"This Prohibition-era statute did nothing more than punish California restaurants and small businesses that are using culinary innovations to survive in this difficult economy."

Leno's bill came in reaction to a crackdown by the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control on creators of drinks in which some substance is added to the alcohol – fruits, herbs, spices, vegetables, meat – that transforms its taste.

Makers of infused drinks were running afoul of the definition of what the law calls "rectification," the department said.

A rectifier is someone who "colors, flavors or otherwise processes distilled spirits by distillation, blending, percolating, or other processes."

To be a rectifier requires a separate license beyond what's called an "on-sale" liquor license.

The catch is if someone holds an on-sale license – the type bars and restaurants have – they can't also possess a rectifier license.

Same goes for supermarkets and grocery stores that have "off-sale" licenses.

Adding anything to vodka or rum or other distilled spirits that changes its character constitutes "rectification," according to state regulators.

At least until Brown signed Leno's bill.

Leno and supporters of his bill successfully argued that the law is archaic, aimed at preventing persons being served adulterated booze like moonshine.

California's new law now distinguishes infusion from rectification:

A rectifier does not include "an on-sale licensee that colors, flavors, or blends distilled spirits or wine products on the on-sale licensed premises to be consumed on the licensed premises."

Infusion is a local issue for Leno who says an estimated 50 percent of eating and drinking establishments in San Francisco serve infusions.

And, Leno argues, it's an economic issue. The department's warnings and subsequent crackdown yanked infusions off menus around the state, harming business.

Source

#48 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

I haven't made my own bitters yet ... but would love to .. and fig bitters would be a great intro. When you get a chance, definitely send them my way! I know you're busy, but hopefully we'll see some of your recipes up here soon! :pirate:

Will send it your way tomorrow! Shoot me a note to remind me if you can.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#49 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

Speakeasy has a reecipe for fig puree...1lb figs, 1 Tb sugar, 1oz freshly squeezed lemon, and 2oz water. They use it in a fig/honey/lemon/vodka cocktail (one of their very few vodka cocktails.)

Website | Blog | Twitter

#50 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,702 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:06 PM

Fig bitters are the bomb. I could send you a recipe if you like. Fig infused spirits are great, as is fig syrup. As you can probably guess, ive played around a lot with them. :)

Oooh. That sounds like a bunch of fun!

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#51 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:14 PM

Forget all this figging nonsense.
Anyone with a Peychaud's recipe? :dribble:

#52 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

I need a non-artificially colored Campari. :3869-sadbanana:

Website | Blog | Twitter

#53 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

Try this. It rocks.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#54 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:43 PM

That's no lie. I was stumbling through liquor stores with Gwydion and Bill when G~ recommended it. It wasn't the only good advice he gave me that day.

#55 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

The man in the hat is knowledgable about alcohol? Go figure. :twitchsmile:

Going booze shopping with the three of you sounds like a hell of a time.

Website | Blog | Twitter

#56 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,170 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:24 PM

It's a wonderful wallet thinning experience which I'd love to do more often. :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#57 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:54 AM

Anyone with a Peychaud's recipe? :dribble:

EP says he has one.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#58 odiedog52

odiedog52

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:56 AM

I have a bunch of fresh pears that I need to use for a cocktail with gin being the base spirit.

I need to make a pear syrup, how would you recommend I do that? I have a juicer and can get it juiced. What from there?

Any ideas on what to use for this mystery cocktail? I'm thinking gin, some pear simple syrup, a little lemon ... and maybe tie in lavender somehow? Maybe make it a pear lavender syrup? And if I do go with lavender, maybe a very light sprinkle of dried lavender as a garnish.

Ideas? :)
www.MutineerMagazine.com

#59 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

Use this recipe to make both poached pears and also a lovely pear syrup. Add lavender once you've poached the pears and you should have a great Lavender Pear syrup.

Then try this:

1 ½ oz Dry Gin
¼ oz Hum liqueur (Domaine de Canton will probably work if you don't have Hum)
¾ oz Lavender Pear Syrup
½ oz fresh lemon juice
Dash of Lavender bitters if you have them. If not, another light and flowery brand would probably work too.

Shake all ingredients, strain into cocktail glass.

Garnish with a pear spear and some dried lavender sprinkled on top.

Important note: I haven't made this cocktail. Just kind of thought it up. But in my mind, it tastes great.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#60 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:22 PM

Anyone with a Peychaud's recipe?

Shit. That reminds me...now I have a third bottle of Peychaud's sitting at a house other than mine! Joe, the bottle we picked up at the store is all yours now :)
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association