Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeB

Another Canadian joins the fun!

Hello, all!

My name is George (as is evident from my login id :) ), and I've been an absinthe fan since the summer of 2004. I almost wasn't, though - here in Ontario (Toronto, to be precise), the local governmental liquor agency has decided that Hill's is the be-all and end-all of absinthes. Hmm. Anyway, Hill's being my first ever absinthe, it's pretty amazing that I ever tried again, but I did.

In August 2004, I found myself in South Africa for a few weeks on business. At a store near the hotel, I saw a curious little 500mL bottle of a chrome-green liquid labelled "Doub's". The rest, as they say, is history. Fortunately, I spent most of the next two and a half years travelling to many places on behalf of my employer, which enabled me to pick up examples of the good (I still have a bottle of Edouard, although the Doub's is long gone), the bad (Sebor, anyone?), and the mediocre. Yeah, I'm looking at you, La Fee. (For the record, I use La Fee, and here I mean the original stuff, not XS or whatever, as a benchmark - anything better than that rates "drinkable", and anything worse rates as "window cleaner".) In recent years my rate of acquisition has slowed, but I've picked up bottles of Taboo, Lucid, Kuebler, and Clandestine in the last couple of years.

There seem to be some places where my collection can fill in some gaps in your reviews, so over the next few weeks or months that's just what I intend to do, once I am sure I can accurately depict things using your rating system. Gee, guess I'll need to do some experimenting there - calibration, as it were. Life is rough, the sacrifices we have to make. Sigh. :cheers:

Welcome George. :wave2:

I like your thinking on La fee as a benchmark. There are so many good absinthes and a lot more bad absinths.

Actually I think a benchmark should be a good absinthe but la fee could be the line between "sink or drink". ;)

Either way, :cheers:

I like your thinking on La fee as a benchmark. There are so many good absinthes and a lot more bad absinths.

Actually I think a benchmark should be a good absinthe but la fee could be the line between "sink or drink". ;)

Perhaps "benchmark" was the wrong word - more like "minimum standards"? Like a D versus an F in school - one still gets you to the next grade, the other means you get to try again next year.

If this works, the here's a picture of my collection as it stood about 2 years ago. I've added a few more since then, such as La Clandestine, but I tend to use it sparingly so I don't think anything's disappeared in the interim. There are a number of "mistakes" (i.e. Czech-style brands) represented but also at least a few quality brands. Overall, I probably need to be just a bit more discriminating in the future, but when a lot of these were bought it was hard to find good reviews on the web, or anywhere else for that matter. (This doesn't include duplicates either - when I find a brand I like, I often buy a second or even third bottle.)

If anyone has any questions about the brands represented, let me know. As I mentioned in my original post, I intend to post reviews of some of these in the coming weeks/months to fill in gaps in the review section.

post-3568-1314903962_thumb.jpg

Edited by GeorgeB

Howdy Podner!

What's that red one in the far back?

That's Hapsburg 69, which I picked up in Germany. A very odd bird indeed - it claims to be an absinthe, but if it is, it's Czech style, and it's cinnamon flavoured. Not really recommended, although my wife thinks it might be good over ice cream.

Wow, there are some bright colours in that picture :)

Yeah, for a while I was considering seeing if I could get one of every colour in the rainbow, but I don't think anyone makes a purple absinthe. There's a black one down near the front though - Absinthe 80, so named for the alcohol content (%, not proof), from Spain. It's, um, interesting.

There's a black one down near the front though - Absinthe 80, so named for the alcohol content (%, not proof), from Spain. It's, um, interesting.

Happy you're still with us. Greetings! :cheers:

Greetings, GeorgeB :wave2:

That's quite an eclectic collection! :thumbup:

If you take a short drive over the border, Mansinthe, St. George & Vieux Carre are all readily available, not sure how Customs will play into it...

:cheers:

Greetings, GeorgeB :wave2:

That's quite an eclectic collection! :thumbup:

If you take a short drive over the border, Mansinthe, St. George & Vieux Carre are all readily available, not sure how Customs will play into it...

:cheers:

The majority of those bottles were brought back through customs without them so much as batting an eye, so I'm not worried about it. I'm planning a trip south of the border (but not down Mexico way!) in November, I'll keep my eye out for the brands you mentioned. I'm always looking for new acquisitions! :cheers:

Welcome, from another fellow Canadian. :wave2: Have you tried Taboo yet? Its a bit different but definitely a high quality and very tasty. If you like it, pick up some Taboo Myrrh before its gone. Its only a limited edition run. Unfortunately the best of the three, Taboo Gold is no more for now.

Welcome, from another fellow Canadian. :wave2: Have you tried Taboo yet? Its a bit different but definitely a high quality and very tasty. If you like it, pick up some Taboo Myrrh before its gone. Its only a limited edition run. Unfortunately the best of the three, Taboo Gold is no more for now.

If you mean the stuff from BC, I have a couple of bottles of original Taboo, but I haven't seen the Myrrh or Gold here in Toronto. I was surprised to see a bottle of Lucid in my local liquor store this evening - I already have two, or I'd have picked it up. :cheers: