30 replies to this topic

#1 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:06 AM

Posted Image

I assume that since it is being auctioned by an auction and appraisal house, it is more likely to be a legit antique.
LINK

#2 distill my beating heart

distill my beating heart

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:51 AM

Nice poster. Thanks for sharing.

He's letting her taste his absinthe. He is a sportsman!
If we make it, we can sit back and relax...

#3 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:50 AM

Just a polite note about decorum: We typically don't endorse posting links about upcoming auctions, since it might be detrimental to some who might already be participating in the auction.

Thanks. :wave2:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#4 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:04 AM

A sportsman?

I think he has an ulterior motive. Look at the way he is holding his stick between his legs.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#5 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:17 AM

And the pink ruffles of her hat are evocative of her...

So now I think we've covered ALL of the classic interpretations of Post-Impressionistic alcohol-oriented art. :laugh:
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#6 distill my beating heart

distill my beating heart

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:23 AM

A sportsman?

I think he has an ulterior motive. Look at the way he is holding his stick between his legs.

Is not hunting a sport?

Of course he's got an ulterior motive. Check out his posture.
If we make it, we can sit back and relax...

#7 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:46 AM

Just a polite note about decorum: We typically don't endorse posting links about upcoming auctions, since it might be detrimental to some who might already be participating in the auction.

Sorry, I see your point, didn't think about that. Won't do it again.

#8 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

[disclaimer/]The following is my opinion, which is only mine just like my butthole. And it only applies to me. I do a lot of stuff that seems loopy to others like attempting to autocross a beat up Miata, paying $137 for a bottle of booze, or go trail walking with alligators. Sensible people could well deemed me off my rocker, yet I have the freedom to do so. I'm not talking about banning anything, just putting my deranged $.02 [disclaimer]

$$$ for real antique posters make about as much sense to me as $$$ for a real Ferrari GTO. None at all. Yes, they are pretty, and in a sense real works of art, but to spend huge sums on them ... I don't get it. And with prices dictated by capriciousness, it makes little sense to me. A modern print of the orginal would look just as good. It only makes sense to get the original in order to recreate it, and then I'd rather see posters of CURRENT absinthes like Pacifique, Ridge, Sauvage, Jades, etc.
As an example of the silliness in the antiques market, Ferrari GTOs (30+ made) go for a lot more than a Shelby Daytona Coupe (6 made), yet on the track the far more advanced Shellby murdered the Ferrari.

Edited by Miguel, 30 August 2011 - 12:45 PM.

#9 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:44 AM

And with prices dictated by a capriciousness formed by small minds, it makes little sense.

I think you just offended at least half the membership on this forum.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#10 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

sorry. will amend

#11 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

And with prices dictated by capriciousness, it makes little sense to me. .... It only makes sense to get the original in order to recreate it,

I believe that the prices are dictated by the desire to feel like one has travelled back to the heyday of absinthe. It's a mindset. I don't think it's fair for you to judge and presume that absintheurs are collecting these pieces because they are capricious in any way. The people I know who collect antiques, for the most part, are true lovers of the Belle Epoque and like to be able to interact with pieces that come from that era. It brings them back to a simpler time. I don't collect many absinthe antiques, so I can't speak for all of them, but that's just what I've seen.

It's fine that you don't share the same feelings, but I think your preconceptions about the intentions of absinthania collectors are frivolous and not well thought out.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#12 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

I meant antiques in general, not specific to absinthe. And not all antiques, just when big $$$ is spent on something that is not functional, or is basically just advertising. Of course, big $$$ is all in the eye of the wallet holder. There is an amount of capriciousness to art based markets. There is no metric, other than what people think is 'hot', and how many people follow that vibe to fit in.

I'm not saying it is crazy for others, just crazy for me.

Edited by Miguel, 30 August 2011 - 01:16 PM.

#13 absinthion

absinthion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:39 PM

I meant antiques in general, not specific to absinthe. And not all antiques, just when big $$$ is spent on something that is not functional, or is basically just advertising. Of course, big $$$ is all in the eye of the wallet holder. There is an amount of capriciousness to art based markets. There is no metric, other than what people think is 'hot', and how many people follow that vibe to fit in.

I'm not saying it is crazy for others, just crazy for me.

As an experience designer I believe that prices are dictated by the amount of mental and emotional experiences one gets out of something. Some people would pay millions for a certain painting, because they feel like they can sit in front of it for hours and still experience it in new ways. Other would buy something that was worn by their idol because it makes them feel they get closer to them; and then some find it is worth to pay a few millions for a Van Gogh just to announce later that they want to be cremated together with the work (being rich allows one to troll on a whole new level :laugh: ). Anyways, people like the feeling that they own something unique and exceptional. That's what makes the original stuff more expensive than copies.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

#14 absinthion

absinthion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:44 PM

The guy in the pictures looks quite creepy. The young lady should check the drink for Rohypnol...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

#15 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

A modern print of the orginal would look just as good.

Clearly you have never spent any time in front of a Toulouse-Lautrec.

Website | Blog | Twitter

#16 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

I prefer Monet. But there is a wee difference between a printed advert, and an actual original hand painting. Which I'm sure is reflected in the different prices.

Absinthion, I understand the idea. I just saw recently a nice 911 sell for $1.375 Million dollars. (that is Veyron territory) Why? Because Steve McQueen sat his tushie in it, and used it in a movie. To some it made a lot of sense, to me it was just crazy.

#17 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,718 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

The guy in the pictures looks quite creepy.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :huh:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#18 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

Now, a genuine Ponchatrain Clown poster could be worth some serious $$$ :)

#19 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,718 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

<-----Knows he's worth his weight in gold every time he posts. :laugh:

Edited by Absomphe, 30 August 2011 - 04:10 PM.

#20 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

I prefer Monet. But there is a wee difference between a printed advert, and an actual original hand painting. Which I'm sure is reflected in the different prices.

It's not something that could just be printed off of any commercial printer...each color is a separate plate hand-carved out of wood and then hand-inked with oil paints. The lines and curves of the plates would have to match the lines and curves of the other plates, so for example, the pink in her hat would stay within the outlines of her had and not spill over into the yellow. Runs were limited (usually around 25 each) per design because the edges of the woodcuts would eventually wear down due to pressing them to the paper. These would take months to make, and could have a huge quantity of colors.

Pretty much no one makes them like this anymore.

Website | Blog | Twitter

#21 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:26 PM

To be frank, $200 is ridiculously low for a vintage absinthe poster. I've seen them up in the 5 digits.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#22 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

I'd rather see posters of CURRENT absinthes like Pacifique, Ridge, Sauvage, Jades, etc.

Me too. :thumbup:

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#23 absinthion

absinthion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:44 AM

To be frank, $200 is ridiculously low for a vintage absinthe poster. I've seen them up in the 5 digits.

It would be an incredible price if it was in a perfect condition. Unfortunately the poster is restored.

#24 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,718 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:39 AM

Nevertheless, it still seems like a very good deal.

#25 Harry

Harry

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

.....i believe we would love to have absinthe antiques....

....unfortunately, they are normally priced well above reproduction prices...........so we must be happy with our lot in life....

#26 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:42 PM

As far as antiques in general go, they are a reminder of our history. They speak of when things were built by hand, by skilled tradesmen, who took pride in what they did. Every single piece of antique furniture I own, has lasted, served, and held-up, while I've either replaced or repaired the modern stuff. Some sense these aspects of antiques, others do not. I couldn't care less, and whatever floats your boat is fine with me. I gather you edited out the "small minds," as it is no longer there, but visible in a following quote.

Some collect things to posess, and money falls from their pockets as they walk, with no true understanding
Of what they are buying; I see this fairly often with some of my guitar restoration clients. Some of us however, save hard to buy these pieces out of love, to honor them, and those who made them...to be certain they are protected, and used in the manner of their maker's intent. I would hardly call anyone in this later category small-minded, rather, dedicated.

#27 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:11 PM

I strictly meant the former, not the latter. That is why I added the Ferrari GTO comment. Those cars were collected my lovers of the craft who bought those cars in order to drive them and care for them, and that drove prices into the mid ~$200,000 figure level. Then the formerly mentioned "small minded" got into the antique car business, and wrecked it for those who really loved the cars, driving prices into the $15 million range so that the cars sit in garage/museums owned by billionares that wouldn't know the difference between a Ferrari GTO, and a Pontiac GTO. And when such folks get involved, then the whims do become carpicious, with fantastic historic racing cars ignored for what the "small minds" consider to be cool. these creatures use their expensive collections to show off their wealth, and not because they care about the contents of said collection. Think of it as Paris Hilton cornering the market of antique spoons, driving the price to $1M each.

I edited, because I realized I was being a sanctimonious bitch. I said I was going to do it, so I was not being deceitful about it.

Edited by Miguel, 31 August 2011 - 03:18 PM.

#28 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,718 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

Think of it as Paris Hilton cornering the market of antique spoons, driving the price to $1M each.

Of course, such a move by Ms. Hilton would absolutely confirm the rampant rumors that absinthe is no longer anything approaching kewl, and the price of any un-cornered specimens might actually plummet. B)

#29 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

My reply was not in any way intended to make you feel anything was wrong with your post. I was merely expounding on blah blah, as I am bored out of my f'n mind, with no power, hot water, or ability to work, for what will be 5 days as of tomorrow 6AM. My second ice-cold shower is coming up tonight. 3G is finally working today steadily, and my IPad is my anchor to the outside world. Tonight, I shall be re-reading Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness on IBooks, half-snookered on calvados and Pacifique.

Here's to antiques...especially antique people!

#30 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,718 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:17 PM

Right back at ya, youngster! :laugh: :cheers:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association